What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Someone here quietly posted, and then quickly took down, a video of an older GMK spacebar [circa 2016 or 2018, I think] and then a newer post-2020 one.

The older GMK spacebar reset more quickly in tests than the newer one. There might have been multiple spacebars tested, can’t remember.

So even GMK had better QC a few years back than GMK of today. Their spacebars on average just aren’t as straight. [Maybe I should have gotten in on Shoko R1 after all!]

2 Likes

I enrolled in a bunch of giveaways today, because of all these DCX postings!

1 Like

PBTfans Pyga

Inside the thick VHS-looking sleeve is a nice plastic case for the caps.

Doubleshot ABS with a translucent outer layer

I think they came out looking great.

The set’s signature novelty

Underside; novelty on left, 1 key on the right

15 Likes

what the heck? I didnt even know they were for sale yet. and they’re out of the base kit now :frowning: rip

1 Like

It’s sad that GMK spacebars from the last couple of years get completely owned by the two DCX sets that I have. Hell, even by the DMK sets I have. I think it’s due to the mad dash production in response to wait time outcry.

4 Likes

Honesty, I would have jumped on it as Perestoika copium but really don’t like the semi-transparent look on them. If KBDfans made these again but in a solid color, I would be happy to buy it.

1 Like

Ya, it was very oh btw this is on sale now and also in stock, then quickly sold out. A handful of sites are accepting pre-orders for the next run, though.

1 Like

It does strike me as a love-it-or-hate-it aesthetic; I’m a sucker for translucent red, though. Garnet is my favorite mineral aesthetically, and that’s the “ga” in “Pyga”.

It also seems like translucent is a fad in the space right now. It is kind of neat to see how different manufacturers are approaching it.

4 Likes

For real. Speaking of which, a thought occurred to me last night; if we find out how to make keyboard PCBs with clear material, a fully clear keyboard could be built. Clear plastic screws, white springs, white/clear diodes, etc.

Is it me or do I think the entire “clear” trend started with the “Off-White” aesthetic MOJO board and was popularized by Shoobs video on his clear ID80?

1 Like

That and the Aqua Kings → bunch of clear switches.

I’m wanting to say clear PCBs have been discussed more than once in the keeb community - they totally exist, made with ceramics, glass, or plastics. There are even ways to make them at home. I do think it would be pretty cool to theme a whole keeb that way, maybe name it after one of those crazy all-clear marine creatures.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/aaf2rf/nervous_soldering_the_transparent_pcb/

3 Likes

BIG MAIL DAY!!!

My Sonnet has FINALLY arrived!!!

Also, got my order of Tangies when they were on sale:

My custom Lemo cable from Dispatch Cables! (Geo is ABSOLUTELY the BEST!!!)

And last, but not least, a couple more PVD keycaps from Capsmiths

15 Likes

Ooh, link to the second cap?

Here you go!

2 Likes

In going for the most boring mail day of all time I decided that a white background was most appropriate for…

A 6u GMK spacebar. But more excitingly, that means that I can now use Tokyo Nights on an HHKB if I feel like it.

15 Likes

Did you perhaps buy that off reddit? I might have sold mine to you.

EDIT: Nope. Just checked and pretty unlikely.

got a drakware ADB2USB adapter for my AEK that i’m currently using to type out this comment on!

3 Likes

Summary

Photo titled - guess where wuku and where is moondrop.

7 Likes

Just received SA Polyclear from Vala Supply. Interesting way of packaging them – sort of vacuum packed to a piece of cardboard. I would say that they are more transparent than the clear DCS set from Pimp My Keyboard that I used for a transparent keyboard a while back, but perhaps not quite as crystal clear as I had hoped. When I ordered these more than a year ago, there weren’t many options for transparent keycaps, but now they seem to be everywhere, so I probably overpaid for these.

I do want to use these to build a more or less fully transparent board, so I’ll probably use something like Aqua Kings for the switches. Haven’t decided on the board itself though. Supposedly Omnitype is going to be coming out with a transparent version of the Bauer Lite pretty soon, and then there’s the Idobao ID80 Crystal. Anything else come to mind?

10 Likes

I was thinking about this set the other day. It is true that there are more options now, and some have astonishing amounts of transparency. However, I think the SA set is still nice and has good value for something different in the high profile space. It’s strange that they couldn’t do simple things like remove the mold markings on the space bar “U” and “P,” but it does add a bit of character.

1 Like

Yeah definitely give it look, but I hope your sets are all good. Not sure how easy it would be to get a replacement key well after the GB ended. Also my luck does kinda trend toward the bad side so I’d assume I’m the exception not the rule LOL!

1 Like