What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I appreciate the offer but I’m in Canada plus I still have some spares I think. Was just looking forward to more clear ones for future builds.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I ordered from the US store. It came in a letter envelope. Are letters from US to Canada blocked too?

2 Likes

Ok, cool. Figured I’d offer cause I know I wont be using all 3 packs anytime soon.

I did the same, ordered from US store last week and shipped the next day.

I ordered from the international store. Got an email saying that the shipping that I chose was closed to international and my order was cancelled. AFAIK shipping from US to Canada is just slower than usual but halted.

1 Like

I ordered several packs of black from the international store about 3 weeks ago bc the US store was out of stock. My order still hasn’t shipped.

DSA Astrolokeys.

9 Likes

Today is a good mail day 4.12.20

8 Likes

Hey @Goguma got something today too, so I’m not the only one! Weird day for deliveries, but I’ll take it! Got my Zenith 163-73 in a couple hrs ago! Couldn’t believe FedEx had guys out there on Easter, but they should be getting double time for it at least!

It is pretty dirty & badly in need of a deep clean, but upon further inspection it seems like it hasn’t seen much real usage. Barely any wear or shine on the caps, the switches are extremely smooth, & the insides of the switches are very clean. Took a gamble grabbing this since it was visibly dirty in the listing pics, but didn’t have signs of heavy usage. Looks it paid off! Now to get this bad boy cleaned up for when my Soarer’s convertor shows up. :smiley:

3 Likes

MT3 Serkia arrived yesterday, typing on it now.
Not sure if I like it just yet, I’ve only been using Cherry profile caps for the longest time, MT3 is certainly very strange, though thankfully, it doesn’t seem to have affected my typing speed too much.

On another note, not sure if this is common with PBT caps or not or if it’s just QC issues, but got a few scratches and weird stains on a few caps, nothing worth complaining about I think but just something to be on the look out for if you’re expecting this set too in case yours happens to be worse.

8 Likes

MT3 is definitely strange at first but give it some time. It definitely grew on me—now I love it. I found that my typing accuracy increased with MT3, similar to typing on Topre HiPro caps.

2 Likes

I went through the same transition with dev/tty0. Now my top 3 profiles in order are MT3 > KAT > Cherry. My MT3 Serika is in transit across the world though so will be a while before I get it.

2 Likes

Dang it seems like I’m the opposite to a lot of people. I think mt3 is really nice to set your fingers on but I very much dislike actually typing on it. The more I try to use it the less I like it… I’ve pretty much given up and have been thinking about selling off my mt3 sets. My accuracy is crap with it and I find myself hitting the edges of the keys a lot which is really unpleasant with the big ridges on the edges.

2 Likes

trust me I’m no 10 finger typing accurate person. I hit those edges a lot too but for whatever reasons I don’t mind it and when I go back to Cherry I miss them haha. Guess that’s also why KAT is only #2 despite it is so smoooooooooooooth to touch, even more than brand new GMK imo which is amazing for PBT. Them edges and deep dishes <3

I dislike MT3’s ridges too but ridges on Hi-Pro were just fine.

Profiles I can live with are: Cherry, Hi-Pro, and OEM. KAT may be also but I haven’t tried them yet.

I was stoked about getting MT3 Godspeed as it was my first foray into the profile (and given the high amount of praise by people in the community), but I’m with @dwarflemur on my dislike for it. While placing my fingers in the keys feels incredibly satisfying, when actually typing on them, my fingers find the ridges far too often which is incredibly infuriating, lol. My dislike grew over the week I demo’d them so they haven’t seen the light of day since. My other gripes include: the homing dish is far too narrow for my fingers and are uncomfortable, I prefer the smoother texture of ePBT, the reverse dyesub isn’t saturated enough, legends not centered. Sometimes I feel that I didn’t give the profile a fair shake, but that’s most likey due to the amount of money I spent on the all the Godspeed kits that are now sitting in boxes for all time.

I’m excited to try KAT. I should have KAT Eternal in my hands in a few months (fingers crossed) which I wish was far sooner, since I’ve been forced to pass on a few fantastic looking KAT GB’s in the meantime as I don’t want to invest blindly.

So for now my profiles of choice:
cherry > maxkeys sa (little bit rounder dish than sp)

1 Like

I had the same issue with hitting ridges when typing on DSA and can’t stand typing on that profile, but for some reason typing on MT3 has not been an issue for me. :man_shrugging:

MT3 is great, it rewards accurate typers and punishes sloppy ones.

3 Likes

Got a batch of 88 NOS vintage blacks in from u/ru_mi on r/mechmarket! These are definitely some of the nicest MX blacks I’ve ever tried, although being honest some the boutique linear switches are just as smooth or even a tiny bit smoother. If you’re gonna chase after vint blacks, do it for the sound not the smoothness. That said I put a PE stem in one & that made for a super nice combo. Just as smooth as the smoothest MX linear switches, plus the lovely sound of Cherry housings! Gotta spring swap (either Gat yellow springs or Spirit 68g slow curve) & lube one (205G00, 107 on springs) with the PE stem in it, but I’m pretty sure that I’m gonna use that combo for my new e6.5 PCB/plate.

4 Likes

Mountainblocks PDXKBC - Actually came in a few days ago, but I just got around to unpacking it yesterday, and did the build last night.

This uses filmed frankenswitches made from Ink housings and T1 components. I thought it’d be funny to call them T1NKs.

I’ll be putting some XDA or other mono-height caps on there soon, but couldn’t resist the black and gold from Red Samurai. (I’d love to see a whole set like that…)

The build guide on MB’s website is fantastic - but there is an important note missing from it that will apply to at least a portion of users:

• To flash the firmware of the Pro Micro board in Windows using QMK Toolbox, you will first need to have Arduino software installed.

Unlike with the Melody96 I built last year, the drivers associated with Toolbox were not sufficient. (Mac and Linux are different stories, apparently.) I fiddled with it for hours until reading a post suggesting that - and after installing, the flash went perfectly the first try. Now that it’s flashed, the pad works like a charm.

This was a super-fun little kit, 10/10 would build again.

3 Likes