What did you get in the mail today? (Part 2)

I just took that name. If you buy them in China they will be like “Sakura”. And for the foreign market the name is HEPBURN

About the camera, what did you mean?
What do I use to take these photos?
This is a phone. very old. 1+

Is that lube showing in your pics 2 & 3 from the factory? It looks like a bit much, but also that’s just one switch I guess.
Thanks!

How is the melgeek configuration utility?

Stock grease from the box. Factory lubricant.
It is impossible to say that one is bigger and the other is not.
Practice always shows that the factory lubricant is the same volume. There may be a moment when this amount is not applied equally to the surface.

I’m waiting for this beauty:

It’s a new one-man-show project by shoonie in Japan. Can’t wait to get the board :sunglasses:

9 Likes

I think this may be the first non-tray mount wooden keyboard I’ve seen. Looks gorgeous!

1 Like

Completely unexpectedly and without a shipping notification I finally received my Ladybird by Hiney!

5 Likes

Yay, mail day. From the top to the Bottom :

• Space Studio Loopy, manufactured by LCET. Linear with LY stem, POM top and Nylon bottom housing. A little wobbly, but they feel quite smooth and have a loud sound signature with the LY stem. Also 3.6mm travel. A shame that they are 3 pin only.
  • LODK Wind Chime. Not sure about the manufacturer, but i would say it’s Jerrzi or Huano, although it says something else on the packaging, but Runners/Designers, specially OEMs, often take credit for that. Linear with POM stem, PC top, Nylon bottom, the usual combo. Very little stem wobble and quite thick factory lube job so they are smooth and have a nice sound.
  • KTT Retro Red. Another linear, with POK stem, PC top, Nylonm bottom. I picked this one over the Retro Blue, although i liked the colors better, because this one has full 4mm travel. Needed some variety with all these reduced travel long pole switches. Sound signature seems a little more muted and deep sounding compared to other KTT switches. As good as no stem wobble whatsoever, and very smooth too.
  • A-Key Blue. Supposedly made by their own Factory, but i wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t. I have not found a match for the molds yet, but i will update if it changes. Click-jacket Clicky with POM stem and Nylon housing. The stem wobble is quite decent and they have a nice, crisp feel to them, which i was not expecting. They were supposed to have different molds and “F-Switch” nameplate, but they have updated and changed the molds since then, accoding to A-Key. But that could just be an excuse for them sourcing switches from a different Manufacturer now.

5 Likes

Got my XOX70 in today! Crazy fast shipping from NK as usual, they literally gave it to the PO yesterday !? I’m used to getting things from NK fast cause I live fairly close to their warehouse, but a day & half with the free shipping option is just mind blowing! Super nice board too, a little lighter than I was expecting, but that’s not a bad thing. I could use a really nice board I can take with me when traveling & this fits that bill perfectly. The only complaint I have with the board is the layout chart was pretty confusing & made it look like the HS PCB had stepped caps, split R shift, & split BS options. It does not, standard caps position (BOOOOOOOOO), only a space for a standard BS, & standard full R shift. Looks like I’ll need to grab a solder PCB for this soon. I’m planning on buying the alum & FR4 half plate for this so hopefully there is still soldered PCBs left when I get around to that. Overall though, first impressions are very strong with this board! Oh BTW @djmantis I’m just gonna make it headcanon that this was the board you were gonna get from the OG GB also. So I’ll be sure to build it extra nice!

8 Likes

It is such a beautiful board! So many nice little flairs. I love the curve on the back! I am happy for you but at the same time a little bummed that it didn’t work out for me. It is kind of a shame, cause it would be fun to get back in on it, but I think the negative experience I had with Mechs&Co would color my feelings on the board itself.

Cheers :beers: !

3 Likes

Got my megalodon (DOIO in truth) hitbox controller in the mail from drop. Box was crushed to hell because there was no packing material inside to protect it. A small card inside the box points you to keebmonkey dot com, demonstrating Drop’s excellence in dropshipping.

Sounds like the firmware needs a lot of work.

Out of the box it works well on my MiSTer:

8 Likes

Vintage mailday today, yay. Finally received them.

• Geekark 9009 Space Cadet. Another beige set to add to my collection. Gotta catch 'em all.
  • A, what appears to be, NOS TeleVideo SpaceSaver keyboard with MEI T-15 switches. They feel weird even in such good condition. Good for the collection, as i’ve been looking for MEI switches for a long time. But wow, are they weird. And tiny, including the keycaps. Reminds me of Cherry ML but taller and linear.
  • A NOS board with linear, white Space Invaders and a neon green one on the space bar, which is a chonky 2.4mm thick. I don’t really have a use for it since it’s in danish layout. But maybe it will be good for a trade some day. Still wish i could find ANSI enter and \ key among others, for an HHKB 60% space invaders build.

11 Likes

The MEI switches use like little rubber pieces or something really weird other than a spring to make the slider return IIRC. Thats probably why they feel so weird. Ive been want to add some to my collection too, haven’t got around to it yet though.

1 Like

I’ve got this exact board and the switches are one of the worst I’ve ever tried. They feel like mechanical rubber domes with all the mush in the world, but for whatever reason they’re listed as “Linear” on DT even though they’re vaguely tactile feeling. What a strange switch.

3 Likes

Huh, are they really listed as linear? They sure feel tactile to me. There is a noticeable bump near the end of the travel. They really do feel like mechanical rubber domes. Oddly enough, lubing them with 205g0 seems to improve them a lot, they even sound much better.

1 Like

Gateron Summertime V2

Updated on February 2nd:V2 has replaced the top of the POM to address the issue with v1, and all orders will start shipping only after February 5th

• Linear
  • Polished POM Milky Top Housing
  • Polished Gateron Long Pole Ink Material Stem
  • Polished Milky Bottom Housing
  • 63g Dual-stage Long Spring
  • Factory Lubed
  • 3.8mm Travel
  • Designed by PuNkSho0
Summary

SP_R81.2

Summary

6 Likes

Gateron Deepening switches. 4mm lubed. Love the artwork. Especially appropriate for these switches because that’s what happened when I first tried to purchase them. But then they restocked.

r

8 Likes

Ohh nice, let us know how they are! These switches are really interesting to me. If the factory lube is as good as the good Smoothies & the rubber pieces work this will truly be a “just toss it on” switch! I mean the Smoothies with the good factory lube job are too, but I bet they’d get a tiny benefit from films. These are also supposed to cushion the switch from the plate as well so I’m wondering how that will affect sound & feel?

3 Likes

Actual name is DEEPPING as in Deep Ping. :thinking:

link:

and sound test video:

9 Likes

So I’ve had a while to type on these now. First impression is that they feel stable and sound good. The sound signature is that of a long pole switch. In fact, they sound and feel quite similar to the smoothie switch. I did a side by side and the deepping are just slightly different in sound. It’s almost more of a difference in timbre than pitch, but I do think they are every so slightly lower in pitch.

They sound drastically different from a lubed Gateron X or Pro switch. The deepping don’t really sound lubed, but simply more clean. Perhaps they sound more like a filmed Gateron Pro, but with a long-pole bottom out. I do hear a faint velvety swoosh sound on slow press without bottoming out. (not something you will hear when typing)

They don’t sound like a hand lubed KS-3. They sound like a clean, well-tuned clacky switch. They might be the best sounding switch in the world if you hand lube them, though. I’m thinking I might order the unlubed version and hand lube them. Potential for being phenomenal.

7 Likes