What did you get in the mail today? (Part 2)

The Duck waddled so the Deepping could fly?

3 Likes

Ordered and received my Sarokey’s Strawberry Wine switches. Really enjoying these guys! I was pretty curious for a while and luckily I got to try them at a recent meetup.

Couple notes:

• Man! The legs on these guys are strong! They didn’t pop my kailh hotswap sockets, but they did bend a couple of the little leaves inside the socket enough that the switch wasn’t registering. First time something like this has happened to me. I was able to just slightly bend them back to get contact. Does anyone know of a great way to fix this? I wasn’t actually able to target the leaf, but had to bend pretty much the whole leg(?) of the socket within the black part.

• They don’t feel like 50g. I think the weight is good, but it is interesting to see it marked as 50g bottom out with a 21mm spring. I think in reality, it must be more like 53 or 54g when you factor in weight + spring length.

6 Likes

UXL ĐŽĐ»Ń MX Cherry Ultra

TX springs have been widely accepted as one of the best aftermarket springs among the keyboard enthusiasts.

This is the new variant of TX springs. The previous offering includes 14mm, 15mm, 16mm and 18mm.

We will STOP calling our springs “slow curved” or “progressive” because we do not think they are intuitive. They are Short (14mm), Medium (15mm), Long (16mm), and Extra Long (22mm).
Specifications
Cherry MX compatible
Springs are made from stainless steel wire and have gone through vigorous QC to make sure that each spring does not have a deviation outside of -1/+1
Springs will be shipped in a bag.
Force is measured at bottom out.
Pack of 110

『氏EMOèœŽă€

Conducting strength - 40±5gf
Bottoming out - 46±5gf
conduction stroke - 2.00±0.5mm
Bottoming stroke - 3.5±0.3mm
spring - 22mm spring
Lubrication status
Factory Run
Axis material - LY
Cover material - PC
Base material - P2

Summary

3 Likes

TX springs are crazy good, but I’d recommend giving Geon’s springs a shot when you have the chance. They genuinely surprised me by being a cut above TX springs. You really can’t go wrong with either, but Geon’s springs seem to have a better sound & feel to me. As far as tolerances go you’re not gonna be able to tell a difference in either with just handfeel. They are both produced so well you’d need to use a force meter to se the very small differences in weighting between each spring.

7 Likes

I don’t change springs, I did this two years ago. Nowadays there are so many switches available for every taste and pressing force.
It’s better for me to immediately buy a ready-made switch))
I bought these for Cherry Black MX2a.
To make an assembly with replaced springs.
The keyboard where I will do this is still GB and will arrive in a month.
Bought in advance)

Summary

Geon is Korea. Or is there something for sale in the USA.
Both of these countries are closed to me in terms of shopping.
If before it was simply expensive, but it is possible.
Now it’s very, very expensive for me to buy this)

1 Like

While I do agree there is just about any weighting you’d want available in a stock switch I still like to spring swap most of my switches for builds. Most stock springs tend to be fairly bad IMO (wide variances & unwanted noises). That said the tide has been turning with manus including much better springs in their switches recently. HMX being a really good example & even Gateron who are notorious for bad springs stepping up their spring game considerably. As for Geon products, I’m sure there is other regional vendors that stock them but I am only aware of Geon’s website & Divinikey that sell them regularly. Anyways was just suggesting them, but if you do not do to much spring swapping you can disregard my previous post.

4 Likes

All sellers of Geon products are not available to me)

Summary

you need to figure out how to buy something, and then figure out how to deliver it)
And the most important thing is that every month it becomes more and more difficult to organize.
I’m almost like North Korea)

2 Likes

Put some Geon 3stage springs in my Cherry Blacks and holy hell what a difference, it’s like the switches came alive. The stock springs are so trash. I totally get the Cherry Blacks hype now, but definitely need spring swapping and lubing IMO.
I’ve come full circle and need to order some MX2a browns

5 Likes

@d3L7r0n gave me insight into the value of spring swapping. I apologize in advance if I am not conveying his advice accurately. Here’s my understanding: It’s not only the quality of the springs, but sometimes the stock spring weights don’t fit with our personal preferences, yet the rest of the switch has a quality that we want. Swapping springs can, in these cases, give a new life to switches that we’ve abandoned, or considerably improve those that we feel are still lacking something. I have to say, I haven’t been in a position to experiment much yet. But once I am, I’m looking forward to it.

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head honesty. Spring swapping can make a switch that you do not like one of your favs IME. There is a ton of switches out there thay have interesting material combos but weightings that I do not like. Without aftermarket springs I’d never be able to give those a proper try!

3 Likes

Mailday today, yay.

• HaiMu Fairy (Epomaker seems to call them “Carda” but they were called “Fairy” before that). Supposedly UPE stem and POM housing. They are a little on the stem wobbly side of things, but at least they are quite smooth and have a decent sound signature to them. Loud, but not too high pitched.
  • Ruben Hornet, the linear version. I assume that they are made by BSUN as the molds are extremely similar to other BSUN switches at a quick glance. POM stem, POM top, Nylon bottom. Interesting combo of materials, so i had to get them. Very stable and barely any stem wobble, very smooth and a nice, loud sound. Higher in pitch than the Fairy, but that could be POM vs UPE.
  • Kailh brown. Nothing special to note about them. I only bought them for frankenswitching purposes. Stems for tactile “BCP” kind of switches, Tops so i can put nylon tops on Jixian Yellows, and bottoms for
 not sure.
5 Likes

As a person, I can get used to and adapt to any spring weight.))
To me it’s either 35 grams or 95 grams, only the time is more or less. Adaptation and went permanent.
I have 6 keyboards on my desk at once, and during the day I can change two or three.
Each with different switches, keycaps and stabilizers, even layouts) or form factor

The problem of springs generally rarely bothers me, especially with so many switches that I already have or are still on their way to me.
But the “Leaf” problem cannot be solved.
It would be better if the Leaf could be changed as a spring rather than a spring.
Since there are switches that are good in sound or click, but the crackling or ringing or clicking “leaf” kills any desire to type on it.

2 Likes

I see, I used to be like that where unless a switch was super heavy or super light it didnt bother me. My carpal tunnel had other ideas though LOL! Leaf swapping is possible as the leaves will remove fairly easily from most switches. Although it can turn into a cluster fuck real quick since the leaves themselves are very vurnable to being tweaked the wrong way & then starting to make noise (especially the one that folds over itself to make the contact). I generally do not recommend somebody try it, but as experienced as you are with switch modding you might want to try it with a few switches just to see how feasible the project would be for you to do.

1 Like

Yes. But springs are sold separately and for every taste. Different steel, different manufacturers, different thickness and so on.
What about the “bodice”?) they are not on sale. That is, I need to buy 500 good switches to kill them)
And make already killed switches alive. :wink: :wink:

1 Like

looking forward to making this my daily

12 Likes

SLK Dessau came in today. You can see they had some really bad printing alignment issues for the legends but otherwise its a pretty neat set.

5 Likes

Jeeze. They just shipped them like that? Bummer. How’s the type feel? Also do you have any comparison photos from the side vs DSA or GMK. One thing I like about this profile was the lower skirt height.

3 Likes

eyes :flushed:
landed same day :flushed:

11 Likes

Here’s a side by side potato pic with DSA and GMK. Honestly it feels pretty comfy to type on but I think some people would miss having a little extra real estate on your typical rectangular surface. I did see in the GB thread on GH that they’re trying to work through the regional vendors to replace the misaligned keys. Its just too bad it’s after shipping and honestly I feel like 90% of my keys are misaligned in some way so having to sort through them all is a bit of a pain.

5 Likes

If you find time, Can you post a side pic of them mounted on the keyboard? I seem to remember that a nice design feature was how they appear to sit lower because the skirt height is longer (as if the stem insert was more recessed)

A good candidate for when you wish to not see a glimpse of the switch between the keycap and the keyboard bezel.

2 Likes