What did you get in the mail today? (Part 2)

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It appears it is a Salmon Alps model. Several years ago I compared Salmon and Orange and I think prefered the weighting of Salmon, if memory serves. But an earlier model with Orange could have been cool too.

Definitely the first time I’ve seen an Alps switch plate this clean in person.

20 Likes

amazing. I own one that is not in the best condition. I hate the space bar on it. How’s the space bar on NoS?

1 Like

Rattle is off the charts. I’ve actually never modded a space bar (never had one anywhere near this bad), but if I did this time, I’d want it to be something that is easily reversible.

3 Likes

I’m okay with rattle. Mine binds like crazy. Probably just add some thick grease to the stabilizer clips where the wires go should help a lot. You’ll probably have to remove the keycaps on either side of the stabilizer to get in there, and It may feel like you’re going to break something getting the space bar off. I’ve yet to break anything, but I don’t envy you. :grimacing: Such a lovely board

2 Likes

Ah, I see! No binding at all on mine.

Without doing any hardcore restoration or anything, I wonder if just dusting out your spacebar switch would make a meaningful difference? I’m sure you already know this but unlike MX, you don’t have to unsolder Alps switches to open them, so makes cleaning pretty easy.

Maybe I should try. I don’t remember if I ever put much work into it. I can’t remember why I originally purchased it. I think it was b/c I was planning to pick up a Lunar65 and I wanted the right shift?? I Feel like someone else was going to run an aluminum alps kit that used the odd layout, as well. Who knows? Maybe it’s time to pull it out and give it some love (TWSS)

An Elytra beta unit. A pre-built wireless alu split, horizontally staggered. Much more info and dissection: Elytra review

9 Likes

not home yet so I don’t have a picture, but a Cospad XD24. More for macro, but will have a toggle for numpad.

A care package that includes the final board that I’ll be adding to the collection - a good friend who has sent me stuff in the past sent me another board along with the Bolsalice PCB that he desoldered for me.

The board is an Arc60, along with several PCBs and plates. I love HHKB layouts, so this was an awesome gift. Built it up using Black Lotus switches, split spacebar, and just topped it with GMK Sparta since it was open and had the space bar coverage needed.

This is the final board I am adding to my collection, as I decided to step away from the hobby and move onto other things (and by that I mean I am done buying keyboard / keyboard things, likely still be on r/mk and here, made friends and enjoy Keebtalk especially).

9 Likes

A few PCB’s this time, and 2 sets of switches.

  • Grain gold x Ajazz Dragonfruit. Not sure about materials, but they are a little meh. Decently smooth and good sounding, and i like the springs in them, but they’re a little wobbly.
  • LCET with no name or materials or any info. Gotta love random Xianyu LCET store drops with no Info. Just some wobbly long pole linears.
  • H60 Lite hotswap PCB. Reminds me of the Y&R studio PCB’s, if it’s not from the same manu.
  • PTG6095 Solder PCB. Mostly just as an art piece for the sick Gundam Art on it.A little confused why they would put the art on this side and not on the bottom, where you could actually see it, but oh well.
  • EC60 PCB from a Xianyu Run. Unpopulated, it seems. But soldering shouldn’t be too bad, if i can find all the parts needed. It came with plate files too, so… not sure what to do with it just yet. Maybe find some 60% case to put it in. Tofu v3 maybe or something. Or one of those 60% cases made for HE people since those are dirt cheap on taobao/xianyu. Full brick of alu for like 50usd if even that.
7 Likes

I thought some of the other switches in the Ajazz “Diced Fruit” series were pretty nice (namely, the Diced Fruit Bananas and Diced Fruit Kiwis), especially for lower cost switches. It’s kind of strange to see that even the Ajazz website doesn’t seem to have any switches for sale…

3 Likes

My family is completely uninterested in my 150 strong keyboard collection, except for the cute froggy themed KiiBOOM Phantom 81 Lite, that I haven’t seen since my review as it was instantly grabbed by my older daughter.

Unboxing the KiiBOOM Meow keycaps and the cake themed blue Phantom 81 Lite variant was maybe the second occasion that brought a smile to the face of my little daughter while watching me doing boring keyboard things. [edit: review]

And a Jiffy 75 prototype(?). No product page yet, the launch is planned for February.

A low-pro wireless split with classic staggering but split spacebars/thumb clusters plus two extra columns on the flanks. And another cute hard-shell carry case. From Jezail Funder Studio, the designer of the Cornix and manufacturing partner of the ElimKeys Elytra.

Cool and high-quality alu case as it is expected from JZF. I’m not a palm rest guy, but these optional walnut ones look beautiful and complement the board well. And even the placeholder silent Kailh Choc V2 Mini Pink Island switches are great. Though the board will come with a custom switch I guess.

Yeap, and it seems that this is another take on the LAK keycaps. After the original uppercase legends of the Cornix and lowercase legends of the Elytra, these are italic, positioned in the bottom left corner. I was told that the Elytra caps will be sold separately, so I guess the same will be the case for this Jiffy set.

Elytra vs Jiffy:

9 Likes

HMX Samples:

In Photo: HMX Jade, Longjing S, Moksae, Yamatake.

Pictured: Longjing S and Yamatake

Initial Impressions

Before I bias myself by reading recent reviews of these switches, I thought I’d provide my own thoughts on them:

1. HMX Yamatake

Now these are interesting. Mine read “XLLAB” on the housing.

These are a modern Pro Purple, something comparable to AKKO’s P-shaped switches, maybe the Creamy Purple Pro.

They are:

-light-tactiles. Almost down to Brown strength, but still stronger.
-loud. These have a characteristic long-pole tactile sound. Fairly deep.
-‘clean’ - except for the application of factory lubrication, these aren’t scratchy, and they don’t ‘catch’

I think they also remind me of Gateron Mini i. The Yamatake aren’t as crispy and snappy, though. More of a traditional P-shape.

2. HMX Moksae

“Silent” tactile

These are dampened, medium-tactiles.
Not quite as intense as a proper U4 Boba or Aqua / Crystal Zilent V2.
And not as overpowered silencing as OUTEMU switches [including U4].

It’s more of a dampener, as in Kailh silents [Deep Sea, in particular].

I feel as though this is an HMX “Deep Sea Whale” tactile.

-bump is about that of an Ergo Clear
-but not Cherry-shaped
-lower volume than non-dampened switches, but not “silent”
-reasonable housing collisions [or maybe that’s the dampening]
-low-pitched
-strong medium bump promote staccato typing

It’s kind of like a snappier, muffled-sounding AKKO Bittersweet.

It also kind of reminds me of TTC Silent Bluish White.

3. HMX Jade

This is a light-medium tactile. Maybe not as strong as Moksae.

The weight reminds me of the stock Gateron Longjing Tea, being seemingly higher than a Brown.

It feels ‘slower’ than some other tactiles, due to the spring and tactile stem.

The housing collisions might be a little stiff.

4. AKKO Bittersweet [for comparison]:

-viscous, like pudding
-‘squishy-sounding,’ but also relatively quiet

-the stock spring reduces the impact of bottom-out
-aftermarket Geon 50 G 18mm is a great replacement spring

5. HMX LONGJING S

I find this more interesting than most people would. First, I have a board with Gateron Longjing Tea.

This is definitely a light-tactile. Maybe the lighest HMX tactile I tried so far.

The actuation weight is higher than MX Petal, and maybe 10-20% lighter-feeling than HMX K-01.

It is not as loud as HMX Yamatake. That switch has a nice, loud, crisp smack. Just like the sound tests.

The Longjing S, by contrast, is quieter, thinner, and more plasticy-sounding. At least on a Transition Lite TKL.

It’s basically a switch between MX Petal / Brown and HMX Yamatake. Closer to Yamatake.

It’s also similar to AKKO Bittersweet, but noticeably lighter than the stock Bittersweet.

I am tempted to fill a whole board with these, but it does have a thin and plasticy sound.
If it weren’t for the sound, this could be one of the best light-tactiles.

6 Likes

I recently got an M2 Mac Mini to play with and use as a home server (Jellyfin, local FTP, Minecraft, etc.). It is replacing a twentyish year old Pentium something that isn’t eligible for Windows 11 (could use Linux like my laptop, desktop, and “usedtobea Chrome Tab”, but MacOS seemed fun). I will be building a case for the wireless 60% PCB I got in Japan, and probably throwing on the Extended-2048 XDA clones I’ve had floating around for almost two years now.

To pair with it, I just got a first-gen Magic Touchpad, the one that uses AA batteries so it should work as well as it ever has. I also got some Epomaker Budgerigar budget tactiles. They are mid-weight, but feel a bit heavier than their specs, and I think they’ll go nice in the build.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but what are those lovely hat shaped caps? They remind me a bit of the Apple II/Snow White caps.

Do you mean the LAK profile? Here’s a link to the original Cornix sets, but the Jiffy 75 will be released in a few days, with even more Apple-like legends: italic font in the bottom left corner. The Elytra set is already available for pre-order, but with legends in the center.

My second set of URSA caps arrived today. Perfect for my heavy-9!


Gotta love that bottom row sculpt. Thanks again to @Andreas for such lovely keycaps

23 Likes

Amazing, a match made in heaven.

3 Likes

Looks so good and the bottom-row scuplt is amazing…I have to figure out how to get these in my rotation - I’m really new to Topre

2 Likes