What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

This is a ray of sound “Tok” in the kingdom of darkness of the clatter and high-pitch of stock switches)) :wink: :wink:

They are very cheap. They put it in a jar for free +1 switch. So that you can keep it for your collection.
All parts are lubricated here with grease. Even some will say that there is too much lubricant. There is a lot of lubrication on the stem, the spring, and the bottom.
The pressing is pleasant, smooth, the sound is clear.
While I was still poking around as usual, I have a video.
This week there will be a national holiday, this gives me an extra day off, I will install them in the keyboard to try long typing tests.

2 Likes

They feel like an old KS-3 with way too much lube in the bottom housing. It’s almost like a silent switch but it’s from the lube. I guess I don’t like the feel or sound. Price and color are nice.

I can see why someone might like these if they haven’t tried many switches. It would be like recommending Burger King to someone who hasn’t ever tried a hamburger. I mean, I guess it’s not McDonald’s, but there’s not a lot about it that’s great.

And there is a whole world of better options out there that are so much better for just a small price increase

1 Like

Yikes, yeah they sound like something I’d be disappointed too. Glad I didn’t order any the few times I was gonna. I was kinda worried they’d be like OG KS3s since they are just standard PC top, POM stem, Nylon bottoms. Supposedly they used a new mold for them, but from your description it sounds like probably took the OG KS3 molds & cleaned them up TBH. Thanks for the info!

Neo80, ordered 5 weeks ago directly from QwertyKeys instead of KFA, arrived. I got the silver case with copper weight.

Meanwhile, I still don’t know where Class60 I ordered nearly 9 months ago via KFA is. Until KFA gets their act together, skip KFA if you have the choice.

UPDATE: Building it was easy. But, by the sound of it, my selection of switch (Vertex V1), mounting style (dumb bell), keycap (MTNU) wasn’t ideal for this board. Planning to tune it this weekend.

5 Likes

These recent pickups were too exciting to not share.

Will forever regret not picking up the lbaron’s 00 FE when I had a chance though.

7 Likes

Epomaker Sea Salt Silent switches.
They just arrived and are much louder than the Kailh Box Black my keyboard came with. Higher pitched, which imo is more noticeable but also just plain louder. By a lot.

This is my first mechanical keyboard and my first switch-swap I was going to do and I am super disappointed. :frowning:

Did I do something wrong in my research? I would think these are broken (got them second hand), but they all sound pretty consistent, so I don’t think that‘s it.

I thought if a switch is called silent and is pre-lubed, it will at least be more silent than a regular non-lubed switch.

also could you please recommend actually silent switches?

• affordable <60€
  • linear, medium force (want something easier than the Kailh black)
  • work for north facing RGB
  • don’t need lubing

I got my class60 out of the blue. My order still doesn’t even show that it’s shipped. Also, I only got the MX kit. Who knows when or if the EC kit will show.

It’s unfortunate because the keyboard is exceptionally nice. Just a bad vendor experience.

I’m not in love with the look of this combo, but HSA White on Black sure feels amazing to type on.

I chose red at the last second. It’s not a color that I usually consider. Now I wish I would have gotten black. :joy:

It’s pretty, though.

Maybe Red Riot? Kitty likes it.

Or Lights Out?

:man_shrugging: Kitty and I will discuss and get this sorted out

10 Likes

I wouldn’t say you did anything wrong - just some “silent” switches aren’t all that quiet and it’s often hard to tell ahead of time without a recording.

Outemu’s silent switches tend to be on the more quiet side, for example - but the tradeoff is they’re a little mushy.

3 Likes

More resin (what else is new
 :rofl:). Sodie kills it with blanks!

3 Likes

Got GMK TeraDrive in the mail today off mm, I’ll probably put it on my white sneakbox AVA soon. The seller was also super cool and did something Drop refused: sent me a “c” key from DCX WoB to replace one with a broken stem. Great coincidence that they had an extra DCX kit they were parting out.

1 Like

FWIW, I think all three combos you tried look good, though obviously I’m not questioning the keyboard cat process.

1 Like

Mailday, yay.

• Togar Gorilla switches, not sure who the manufacturer is. But they are long pole linear switches with POM stem, PC top, Nylon bottom. Some weird kind of scratch for being factory lubed, but it’s acceptable. Maybe it can be fixed by hand lubing them with proper 205g0, will need to check. Also seems like i got lucky with these. They accidentally send 2x 90 switches instead of the 2x 45 i ordered. yay.
  • Hilda Studio Eureka switches, made by Outemu. I still feel like their normal Jade and Cream series are above this one, but they are okay. Very similar to the Xinmeng Dark Plum, even in color way.
  • R80-1800 RedScarf PCB. Via/QMK compatible, multi-layout support and even has support for buzzers and daughter boards and solenoid, all of which i also have already. Maybe i will hand lube these Togar switches and throw them in there with some Cherry Blacks on the Numpad because i never use that so it doesn’t need to feel or sound good.

5 Likes

Summary

Durock Ice King Switches

Top Housing: Polymer Nylon
Bottom Housing: Polymer Nylon
Stem: Modified Nylon, Extended
Spring: Progressive Long
Pre-travel: 2.0mm
Total Travel: 3.5±0.2mm
5-Pin, PCB Mount
Lubed
Price: $0.42 per switch
Available in:
Linear
Actuation: 52g
Bottom-out: 62g

4 Likes

One of the two Synth Labs 060 review units out there landed on my desk. (Thanks keebwerk!) I’ll have to send it back and already miss it. :rofl: Painfully beautiful.

5 Likes

Got a cute bunny desk mat and a couple carrying cases (the black one below the salvun bag) from Loobed. They still had a valentines day discount a week ago, plus the desk mat was on sale, so I got that for $8.50

Only got 1 of my 2 cases though, wonder if it’s in another parcel–pinged them about it. But the case I got was pretty nice for the price.
Was deciding between this and Cannonkey’s case and this one was like $10 cheaper for 2 with the discount. A lot larger than I expected though

3 Likes

is that a vertical usb port? lol that’s different

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

DCS Alchemy and Soware came today. Picked up Alchemy for $60 on leap day special from Thockeys. I need to find a dark gray or silver board for it. Was trying it out on my Linen Corsa which matched pleasantly.

Soware is quite nice, too. Wanna find the perfect board for it.

8 Likes

I was so mad when they sold out of alchemy now I know who to blame!

4 Likes

5 Likes