What did you learn today?

You can put a certain pen springs into cherry style switches

6 Likes

Today I learned to switch the thumb I use for the spacebar. I injured my left thumb, and fate just seemed to be in the mood for a big slideshow presentation due in a few days. I typed this entire thing with my right thumb, I wonder how long it’ll take to get it fixed into a habit.

3 Likes

Now I believe truly anything is possible on this beautiful blue marble we live on

6 Likes

I didn’t learned anything today but I would like to find out what are the latest trends and what are the best liniar silent switches out there nowadays. I’ve been out of tune with mx switches and feel overwhelmed of how many of them popped up.

I’m interested in:

• smooth
  • low tolerances/wobble
  • easy modding to reach great performance ex: out of the box use or only lubing required.
  • low to 62g weight max, to be easy on the fingers
  • silentish to silent, doesn’t matter to be very quiet, just not that unsilenced clack clack

Color, price do not matter

Thanks in advance !

2 Likes

Right thumb supremacy!!!

2 Likes

I can’t offer much advice, but the Easing into Linears might be a good thread to check out. Lot of good info on linears there already, and I’ve had good luck getting quick responses to linear-related questions of mine there.

2 Likes

You a lefty? I’m not but I also use the left thumb for space. I think mainly because I’ve taken to using space and shift+space instead of taking my hand off of the mouse for pgup and pgdn (usually for web browsing).

Nope, not a lefty but just hit the spacebar from day 1. It’s still been throbbing so I think I’ll have to ditch Left-Hand gang for a while…

1 Like

Interactive BOMs!

I know KiCad is not for everyone, I barely touch the surface and feel overwhelmed sometimes. This Interactive BOM plug-in for KiCad generates a very nice self contained HTML file in 2 clicks! This file can be used by people that have the PCB and are trying to track down a problem or assemble the board for the first time. You can highlight traces, interactively mark parts as placed. Great for tracking down problems or even just learning about how things are connected.

Plugin: Home · openscopeproject/InteractiveHtmlBom Wiki · GitHub

Example: Interactive BOM for KiCAD

So that example may have been intense here is a simpler one with just a daughterboard (click the gear icon to go into full screen mode): https://jsfiddle.net/davek184/g3wp57ny/4/

Different Example nt980 PCB because: https://jsfiddle.net/davek184/d5wpexks/1/

Edit: JSFiddle isn’t the best or correct way to run these file I just wanted something quick

7 Likes

That is super cool!
I often print on paper the BOM and PCB images to prepare for soldering sessions, with this plugin and a large enough screen device I’d no longer have to do that.

1 Like

The Freebird 60% hotswap PCB does not fit in a Tofu. The USB-C cutout does not line up.

4 Likes

I’ve learned a little about Ergonomics/Human Factors from my field of study and its my first time coming across the ANSI standard for Keyboards: https://hf.tc.faa.gov/hfds/download-hfds/hfds_pdfs/hfdsKeyboardsDraft.pdf

Pages 41-43 regarding Key Activation and Key Feedback are the most interesting to me. Here’s some points in particular:

• 9.10.1 Force to depress keys: Max force specified is between 0.25N-1.5N with a preferred range between 0.5N-0.6N (basically 50-60gf)
  • 9.10.4 Key action. Keys should use an elastomer action instead of a linear spring or snap action.
  • 9.10.5 Key displacement. Vertical displacement of the keys shall be between 1.3 to 6.4 mm (0.05 to 0.25 in), with preferred displacement of 2.0 to 4.0 mm (0.08 to 0.15 in) for normal data entry tasks.
  • 9.11.2 Type of feedback. Tactile and auditory feedback should accompany the actuation of a key.

Funnily enough, Cherry Blues fit this spec almost to a T save for the elastomer action, with a 60gf bottom out spring, a roughly 65gf tactile peak, and 4mm of travel. Maybe Cherry was right all along :grin:

4 Likes

Interesting. Is a progressive spring considered an elastomer action? Or do we have to use rubber domes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If I ever release a line of springs they will all be named after squishy candy.

• Air-puffed 45g
  • Mochi 55g
  • Peach Ring 62.5g
  • Fruit Snack 68g
  • Brassy Taffy 100g
1 Like

Rubber domes are elastomers :grin: which means that Topre is really the one true king all along!

1 Like

You need a 75 to 80ish candy in that list :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmmmm how about Hi-Chew 80g?

1 Like

As long as their grape.

Today I learned that most of the spare switches I have lying around have one pin too thick to work with mill max sockets: Creams, old Kailh Box switches, V1 Zealios, older Gat Yellows–anything Kailh or Gateron, basically, though I haven’t tried any recent switches from either brand. Guess I’ll just have to order some more Bobas.

3 Likes

Depends on how you installed your mill-max sockets. There are little prongs within the socket (7305s and 0305s). If you don’t have the correct orientation, your switch legs will hit the prongs and seem too wide.

I had a batch of Zealous that I shaved the wide leg down on to get them to fit. I don’t recommend this as I killed some legs, rendering a couple 1$ switches worthless. Next build, I would just rotate the socket and they went on to the legs.

I have only installed mill-max sockets by putting them on the switch legs first, then putting the switch into the PCB. This insures a proper orientation, but you do risk accidentally getting solder in the socket if you put too much on and overflow.

Give it a try before you right it off!

1 Like