What did you learn today?

Don’t be shy, which pen springs? This is intriguing…

2 Likes

The generic staples ballpoint pen had a spring that fit.

2 Likes

I learned there are two different matrices called the “duplex matrix” and I can handle 300+ switches with a humble Pro Micro…
Wrote about the (Japanese) duplex here: The (Japanese) duplex matrix
That’s good for up to 200 switches. Will cover the 300 matrix later.

4 Likes

Cilantro is the same plant as Coriander?! :exploding_head: Coriander - Wikipedia

I am one those people that really likes cilantro, I don’t get the soapy taste that some people get. It really brightens up a taco. A good tortilla and cilantro can make an average taco really good. I guess you can say the same thing with good bread really elevating a sandwich.

9 Likes

Crazy, right? I love both coriander (the seed from the plant) and cilantro (the leaf)!

I happen to think cilantro tastes like soap and I still love it! Gotta have variety, right? Such a polarizing taste. Wonder what the soapies would think about Campari

1 Like

Hing is also a very polarizing spice. Smells terrible to me.

1 Like

ooh, that’s a good one. I’ve read about it but never tried it! I must!

Alright, you know I hate creating threads, so here’s a thread that I could squeeze my dilemma into without raising any eyebrows.

Today I learned I need to get on MechMarket. Fast.

Like I said in my pursuit of finding a keyboard, I need bigger communities to sell and buy from. I’ve sworn off big discord servers, don’t get me wrong, but didn’t technically swear off MechMarket. Just never thought I would need Reddit.

I’ve heard that Reddit is a pretty nasty place, and as someone still in school (and have guardians), I’m pretty skeptical about how much of that is true to communities where selling is the main goal. For those who have used Reddit or MechMarket before, what is the lay of the land there? Is it normal or okay to ask people to contact you through something else than Reddit PM, such as Gmail? Is there toxicity between people there, or is it mainly selling?

I’m planning to just put my WTB/WTS posts there and ask someone to respond VIA email. Would this be fruitful, or is it too many hoops to go through?

3 Likes

I haven’t really seen toxicity on mechmarket, except for some cases of blatant flippers who are just there for profiteering. If you do see someone being negative, they’ll generally stop at one comment as long as you don’t respond to them so resist the urge to argue and you’ll be fine. That, and the subreddit actually has rules against being rude/harassing:

The rules are pretty long and there are some sections that won’t apply to you, but I’d suggest reading through them before posting: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/wiki/rules/rules

Is it normal or okay to ask people to contact you through something else than Reddit PM, such as Gmail?

People typically just use the Reddit PM system to negotiate sales, but there isn’t anything against the rules about asking to move to email. That said, don’t put your email address in your post; at most you should give people your email address once they PM you (that’s more a general rule for the internet - don’t put your personal info on the surface web!). I don’t think it would turn into an issue.

With all that said, you won’t be able to get on r/mm “fast” at all since they require your account to be 30 days old with at least 10 comment karma to make a post. You might want to just create an account and make a few comments on /r/mechanicalkeyboards or /r/customkeyboards to get the karma you need while you wait for the account age requirement.

5 Likes

Yup. I wasn’t really in an extremely big hurry to join. My wording there was a bit off; intending more of a “I should have done this earlier”. Karma is Reddit’s “Trust Counter” mechanism, right?

Thanks for clearing this up. What I was ideally looking for was a way to say “Hey, I really don’t use Reddit that much, but I’ll check it in weekly intervals/specific day to give you XYZ contact information,” without a big hassle. Probably won’t be the most efficient way to do so and would probably lose some people interested in the process, but think it should be fine for the time being.

Gotcha. Glad to see that there’s not much toxicity around.

One of the key things I wanted to make a priority is not having to check daily to send a message to people. I’m not a fan of being on big social media sites (like Reddit!) but I think I could make an exception for this one. Being in school and all, I can’t afford to lose any time that might have been able to be used. If waiting for someone to reply back (like in my case, giving contact on a weekly basis) is something that is a tad too new or unheard of, please let me know.

1 Like

Sort of, but not exactly. Every post and comment can be voted on, up or down. Karma is the total “score” of the votes on your posts and comments. So basically, “10 comment karma” just means you need at least 10 upvotes across all of your comments. A simple way to do this without interacting all that much would be to just browse through a handful of posts on e.g. customkeyboards and start complementing people’s photos :slight_smile:

Yeah, I would say a week to hear back would be pretty extreme. A lot of the people I’ve talked with on mechmarket clearly have notifications on there phone and respond within a few minutes to a few hours. But there’s a pretty simple fix for that if you don’t want to open the website just to check; you can just configure your Reddit settings to email you whenever you receive a PM: https://new.reddit.com/settings/notifications (click on “manage email” at the top to turn on email notifs for different events)

1 Like

I’d keep communications on Reddit strictly bc as a new account/no trade history I def won’t be communicating with that person on a different account. Set up your alerts so it emails you when they respond.

Start up a payment method that is separate from your guardians’ and that can be tied into PayPal since that is the preferred payment method on most Reddit marketplaces.

Save Imgur timestamps to your computer cause those disappear whether you want them to or not.

In general most marketplaces are okay but it’s people. Sometimes they forget to ship in a timely manner or some folks let the ball drop and stop communicating. Message mods (use Modmail link in sidebar) if it’s been a few days, they’ll help you determine and follow up with the seller. Conversely, if you’re the seller and someone’s buying from you it’s nice if you make sure they get the tracking number --some people let Shipstation/Pirateship auto email me based on my invoice but I appreciate when they also leave it in the dms.

What Laughmaster said. Don’t leave personally identifying info on the public posts (and I don’t even like doing address checks on the messages section either.) Y’all both should have updated addresses and info in Paypal anyways.

Sell safe, have fun, and always always pay via Goods & Services.

3 Likes

Reddit is one of the worst sites I’ve encountered, I could write an essay on how bad it is but in short, super toxic.

That said, as long as the subreddit you’re using doesn’t involve politics or emotions (as simple as it sounds, it’s pretty rare), you should be fine.

I haven’t used Mechmarket much but it seems to fit in that description focusing solely on the main subject, with maybe 3D printing or the fragrance subreddit also fitting.

3 Likes

This is a follow-up to my Japanese duplex matrix write-up. Square or Round-robin matrix: handling 380 keys with a single Pro Micro – in theory.

1 Like

Today I learned that the first Topre keyboard was created in 1981. It was called the S56 and had a polarizing design and unique layout.

Topre_Prototype_-_1
Topre_Prototype_from_1981

16 Likes

9U Topre spacebar. Wow.

2 Likes

Breh TIL while organizing that I have too much MT3:

Yeah - I think I’m good for a while.

16 Likes

Drop: Which MT3 set do you want?

Deadeye: yes

9 Likes

Maybe not the right place to post as it’s not exactly something I’ve learned but I’ve noticed that tactile switches will almost complete migate stabilizer ticking.

Either Plate or PCB mounted stabs, as long as they’re good quality (For example Everglide v1 or KBDFans PC Stabs).
Once I change the tactile to linear, it will have ticking on the sides.

1 Like

I had this same realization too.

What happens if you take your stab ticking linear, and remove the top and retest?

For me, it totally went away. I presume some wobbly switches with lighter actuation forces allow the stem to collide into the top/bottom housing a bit more than most especially during off-key presses or when testing for stab tick. I think tactiles inherently solve this issue since the initial pretravel is a bump.

I usually have to ensure my wires are dead-on balls straight if I have any shot at rattle free stabs regardless of what switch I’m using.

5 Likes