What did you learn today?

i hope some of those longstanding tickets can be closed out/dealt with now :confused:

The stems in some switches have an obtuse default resting position. This is the Freebird60 PCB. For some reason it flips the H switch upside down, causing the keycap/legend to dip below the remaining row while using Cobalt POMs. If you press the top of the G keycap downward, it moves a bit and quickly returns to its normal starting position as shown. However, since the H switch is flipped, you can see how non-perpendicular it looks when compared to the G and J. If you press the bottom of the H keycap upward, it aligns perfectly with the remaining row. But predictability, it goes back to being misaligned when released.

The fix was to NOT use Cobalts and default to box switches for multi-layout hotswap PCBs. Has anyone else ran into this issue, and if so, are there any switches you’d recommend with tight and noticeably perpendicular N/S tolerances?

BTW: Sorry for the grimy looking keycaps, I swear they’re BNIB and that must be magical fairy dust from the factory.

7 Likes

It’s always a good idea to test for strange ticks, crunch, or scratchiness BEFORE finally assembling your stabs. So I tend to cherry-pick the best switches in a batch to use for the stab keys. These usually have either better tolerances, are smoother than the others, and/or have a deeper or more pronounced sound than the rest. I usually find about 10 to 15 in every batch of 70 or switches so far. Sometimes, tighter tolerances result in weird spring crunch, excessive scratchiness or worse, the stem will actually bind in the bottom housing near the end of the downstroke. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I also spend a ton of time pregaming stab wires so they’re incredibly straight. I even account for thermal expansion … I know, why? Lol. It matters, I swear.

I end up doing this – pressing the key from every possible angle; hard, soft, smack, push, flick, etc. If all is good and nothing sounds or feels like a deal breaker, I pretty much never have to reseat or fuss with that stab/switch ever again. I appreciate the $#@! out of that let me tell you.

9 Likes

I envy your attention to detail! These days most of my builds are lazy builds unless I’ve really spent a lot on a board.

6 Likes

I do this after fighting with a shitty switch for a week. Desolder, change it out, smooth sailing.

3 Likes

gotta admit, I have many more boards these days with stock switches. I feel this

4 Likes

!remind me of this post should i ever decide to part with cup rubber bc that is a ton of work

1 Like

Google Drive absolutely annihilates Microsoft Word formatting on complex documents even when you’ve just used Drive as storage, not for editing. Wasted five hours trying to recreate an important report today after making the mistake of thinking that Google wouldn’t corrupt a file it didn’t open.

7 Likes

I’m in pain with you. was this for work?

1 Like

I appreciate that. It was. Fortunately, this wasn’t something last minute, but still an incredibly frustrating experience to have to rebuild something from scratch. I did learn there is a Drive setting to un-check that prevents Drive from interfering with uploaded files:

5 Likes

Lol :laughing: Welcome doomed mortal.

7 Likes

No thanks :smiley:

1 Like

5f4

8 Likes

You have to use your hands? That’s like a baby’s toy!

5 Likes

Thanks to @Deadeye considered response to my slapdash question about “how many switches are too many?” here

I’ve been pondering the reasons why I am buying more switches and why I enjoyed doing so. And it’s simple - I like experimenting and get joy out of small differences I can detect (not very good at it yet…), and basically learning about something new. But I also want to keep in mind to make considered choices.

So, thank you! :relaxed:

4 Likes

40% superiority confirmed.

1 Like

Excellent. I think it’s always helpful to be in touch with your motivations.

I also have to say mine are similar; I’m super into similar-but-distinct things, and really enjoy teasing-out those distinctions and articulating them. I find it fun and rewarding, and sometimes it even helps somebody make a decision. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh don’t worry, there’ll be more questions for you from me, and I’m sure your answers will be helpful :relaxed: I’m currently pondering a variety of switches (mostly while I’m waiting for some others to arrive, so I will pace myself)

1 Like

Today I learned that I type better on big-bump tactiles than anything else I’ve tried. I thought it was the hustle and bustle of assignments that helped me type faster but looks like big-bump tactiles are what I type on best, granted not my favorite sounding switch type. However, I did lube the legs and leaf as I have weak fingers, so maybe I’m not getting the full big-bump experience.

Any switches with the same or similar but lower tactility than TTC Silent Bluish Whites, while not going into the light tactile range? Is this called Medium-Tactile, per se?

2 Likes