What did you learn today?

Needless to say I was very disappointed in myself. Luckily I keep it in that eye screw so heat doesn’t transfer.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this stab mod before! Looks like I’ll be keeping the backs of my deskeys films to give this a try.

7 Likes

Interesting…

I keep mine on a powerstrip that has my workbench light plugged into it. I use the switch on that power strip to turn on the light and soldering iron. That way, I know if my workbench light is on, the soldering iron might be on. As long as the light’s off, there’s no fire hazard.

I left my on accidentally a few times before I came up with the idea. I was terrified I was going to burn the house down. No more worries now.

1 Like

I tried this mod for my stabs andit works great. It took a little bit of trial and error to get the size right for the deskey bits but in the end I would say the feel/sounds was worth it.

3 Likes

I learned that I can desolder, lube (albeit heavily) and resolder a prebuilt 60% keyboard!

8 Likes

Awesome confidence builder project! what switches and what board was it?

1 Like

MX Cherry reds. I practiced on a cheap Ducky One 2 Mini I picked up on mechmarket. Really relieved that the other switches I’ve order aren’t a waste now xD

1 Like

Nice, that’s probably a pretty solid board, if those reds got a little breaking in from their previous owner, I bet that sounds quite nice. what other switches did you order? planning another build?

Ducky does solid 60%s at least from my experience. I’m planning on switching out the switches on a couple other boards I have with Gazzew’s UT4’s and his Bobagum silent linear. Real excited for when those get to me in the mail!

2 Likes

sounds good, Gazzew makes some awesome switches.

1 Like

There are Irons that have automatic sleep modes, like the KSGER T12 soldering station that I use (maintain the temperature to low 200 Celsius).
But it is always better not to forget to unplug your iron.

1 Like

Apparently choc switches and keycaps are designed for 18x17mm spacing, not 0.75" like I have been doing all this time. That would explain why there are such gaps between the rows…

4 Likes

Today I learned to live with the moral uncertainty of supporting Dorp: MT3 on Boba U4Ts sound like they’re going to steal my GMK sets’ lunch money.

3 Likes

You really aren’t kidding - MT3 over thocky Bobas might be my #1 favorite keyboard sound right now.

4 Likes

TIL (or was reminded) that if you’re buying square-stem Box switches, NovelKeys is probably your best bet.

I have two small batches of Royals, one of which came from somewhere else and appears to have had at least a small handful of stem-breakers mixed in - between 5% and 10% of the bag.

Easy choice on which batch gets taken apart for bits, but dang - I’ve got a small handful of way too loose MT3 caps now… :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Holy crap I thought the stock of those had run through or been otherwise disposed-of a long time ago :scream:

1 Like

I thought so, too - but I’m also not too shocked. I think if you stick with familiar vendors on your side of [given large body of water] you should be safe.

4 Likes

I think I saw Minterly does this with the puffy, rubber style band-aids. No need to use Deskey films.

After my last build, I think I’m going to start trying this. About half the keebs I’ve built so far are silents - which are all the less forgiving when it comes to rattle. I’ve got loads of “empty” Deskeys sheets, so that works out at least. Now I just need to find nice, thin tape.