What did you order or think about ordering?

Woodworking is a rabbit hole just as deep as keyboards. They have some overlapping features in terms of cost and the reward that comes from tinkering until something is just the way you want it.

I wanted to cut a half lap in something a few years ago and ordered a beefy router and a bit and then a router guide and some hoses and equipment to improve dust collection and then more bits and a router table and a better guide and more bits.

Anyway, your idea to cheat is a great one! :sweat_smile: I’m not sure how wide your pieces would need to be, but a simple miter box (example) could be just the thing you need? Also, fancy tools are definitely fun, but you can make a TON of projects with just a cheap circular saw (yard sales are great for these), a good straight edge, and a decent drill and impact driver. Feel free to PM me if you want to bounce ideas off someone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the older Portico, the 65% one - and while it hasn’t done that, it does have some other quirks.

Most notably, if the lighting is on for more than a few minutes, it derps a bit, usually losing a color or two in part of one or more rows, sometimes with flickering. I generally leave it off, but it does look nice with the polycarb case and all. Aside from that it’s been a reliable workhorse for the past year or so.

I’ve updated the firmware once so far, which let me use VIA, but I otherwise haven’t changed much with it. (That didn’t help the RGB derpage.) The foam gaskets are starting to go; I’ll replace those along with the plate when it arrives in the mail this week.

I also have the aluminum one, the Portico68 Black Label - which is honestly my favorite keyboard right now. As far as I’ve seen, that one is free of derp, adds a daughter board, has an open-source plate… it’s the 65% Portico all polished-up. They said the current run is the last one - but also qualified “in this form” - so who knows, they might do a bit more with it, and I hope they do.

I also hope they can resolve the amnesia issue you’ve experienced with the Portico75; it seems like a great keyboard otherwise.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply and ideas! I went off to Bunnings (local home depot …) and got myself a (cheap) mitre box with saw - the nice one from Stanley wasn’t available unfortunately.

I’ve also bought some craft plywood and wood glue and screws as well as some clamps and screws, and an angle thingy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I m blaming you for this shopping trip, obviously :innocent::joy:

I’ll let you know how I get on! Good idea about the yard sale - there’s a market on on Saturday where they have all sorts of old/used tools :star_struck:

2 Likes

Fair enough. :sweat_smile:

Good luck with your project! Feel free to reach out if you have questions and/or share some pics of your project. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I might do that when I undoubtedly get stuck :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: my niece did the math, my friends kid has done woodwork in high school - surely this will work out…(famous last words) :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The wrong switches. :person_facepalming:

I meant to order Ajazz Diced Fruit Kiwis based on @Deadeye’s review, but ordered Bananas by mistake.

2 Likes

Probably going to regret it. I haven’t bought a Durock switch in a long time. Got tired of having to mod them. Sounds too good to be true.

*nylon top and bottom

*4mm travel with bottom out stem.

*Every part a new molds todrastically reduce wobble.

5 Likes

Top housing appears to be “Modified PC & UPE Blend”, not nylon. Let us know how that combo sounds when you get it.

UPDATE: Found a couple of sound test videos on Youtube. First one sounded low-pitched, second one sounded similar to Banana Splits. Don’t know how it’ll sound in person but I liked both.

2 Likes

Ordered several sets of TL53 (mmswitch 53g triple stage) springs and a set of mmswitch UPE stems. TL53 felt great in Banana Splits so thought they would go great with New Nixies. And long-pole UPE stems is for switch modding variety.

1 Like

Interesting. That diffuser shape seems to be a fad at the moment.

Looks like the housings feature the same double rails in the top housing found on JWICK Semi-silents and Ginger Milks. Interested to see what you think of these once you’ve had some time with them.

3 Likes

Unexpectedly found this set at PovertyKeys. I have 3 sets of 21kb keysets so which I’m pretty certain this is the R1 keyset made by Xiami. On sale at half the price ($32).

If you’re like me, you may have to use micromesh to change texture and smooth out edges to be a bit rounder to be more like ePBT. As with everything, it’s a tedious task but the result will be thicker ePBT (1.7mm!).

4 Likes

I picked up the ones with Hebrew sub-legends at PovertyKeys - I think they were maybe $40 and they easily seem like the most bomb-proof durable caps I’ve laid hands on. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

FC980c gang represent ! FC980c + Hasu controller + Niz sliders&domes + NK Cherry Taro

8 Likes

envoy

The wood accent got me.

8 Likes

LOL. I started looking at the options on their other boards when I saw the wood on the envoy. The white oak was out of stock for the sonnet. Love the wood accent.

Need an option that showcases it while in use.

Hope more makers decide to incorporate wood.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing with the configurator quite a bit…it’s only a matter of time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, alexotos had a build stream today with owlab london fog Switches and they sound like they are right up my alley :star_struck:

4 Likes

Yep - that stream sold me on it. That happy little Christ Pratt :open_mouth: face he made when he first tried the build - you mean it looks like that and it’s good?

If wood accents continue to solidify as a popular design trend I would not mind one bit. I love the Fractal and System76 computer cases that feature them, and those handmade wooden mouse enclosures are too cool. Gimme woodgrain everything!

Also - the Envoy’s price is pretty darn impressive. Truly creative custom designs inch their way towards reasonable affordability as time goes on, and that makes me happy. Things were already great in the mechanical keyboard universe when I first dipped my toes in, but they really do just keep getting better.

5 Likes

Link us your configuration?

Sure! Paste this code using the “Enter build code” link at the top of the page :

Y0c1c2c3d4b5a

I’m thinking I’ll pair it with MT3 Skiidata for that tactical camping vibe.

4 Likes

That’s a subtle green. It’s lovely. A desaturated sage! I thought it was gray at first. Love the copper and walnut combo.

3 Likes