What do we know about the Gazzew Boba U4 switches?

I did my normal thing I do on most switches (although most of mine are linears) which is 3204 on the stem (sliders and legs) and bike lube (tri-flow) on the stock springs, I like how they feel with that.

2 Likes

I lubed them with Gazzew grease blend #4 . They were decently stock smooth and improved with the addition of lubricant.

They sound silent and quiet. I liked the feel of them, but they were too tactile for me, so I sold them.
Would recommend to a friend.

3 Likes

Yep, I use 205g0 for everything and like I said Iā€™m super picky and careful with my thin application of it. Added benefit of it almost fully eliminating my Bobaā€™s leaf noise, which is a problem with silent tactiles, while still staying very tactile on the downstroke due to itā€™s strong tactility in the first place, made me a very happy camper. These babies are dummy quiet.

I can understand where fatalruin is coming from with snappy/poppy going away, since 205g0 butters out the whole experience. With my 62g zilent v2ā€™s, which I did not lube the tactile legs or the leaf, they were very snappy and fun but much louder than I wanted from a silent switch - granted itā€™s a tactile. Ended up selling the board with them to a friend, but find myself wanting to type on it again here and there.

Just a quick note on your heavier spring comment, I find that heavier springs on my tactiles soften out the bottoming out. While they do aid in lifting the finger back up when resetting, Iā€™m almost certain itā€™s a different feel than the snappy/poppy feeling of a lighter zilent. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

I got some of the new 62g 16mm (long, aka linear curve) springs in from TX today and like other tactiles, at the same weight, the preloaded springs give a higher sense of tactility than the stock springs on the 62g Boba samples that I have (while still being in a comfortable typing range). So while Iā€™m pretty happy with the 65g 14mm TX springs that I have in them now, I think itā€™s worth swapping over to the new 16mm variants as they are lighter yet a bit snappier.

2 Likes

I tossed these stock into a NK65 frost and Iā€™m really liking them, they feel very different to anything else, like typing on mechanical pencil erasers. If I focus I can start to feel the ā€œclickā€ in some switches so I think Iā€™ll forgo lubing if that accentuates it. Helps that they match the case really well!

3 Likes

Some very interesting comments in the last day or so, mirroring my own experiences.

The U4 stems are very tactile in the Boba housing, close to Zilent V2 in intensity, although not shape.

Unlubed, they are smoother than unlubed Zilents. And quieter. Itā€™s best to lubricate the spring, though, in either switch. Shuffling noises are present in both, and that would require housing lubing to dampen.

Lube did not enhance the experience of U4 Boba for me, although I havenā€™t lubed many switches. It was only helpful when using really light springs, to make the switch return. I donā€™t think ā€˜butteryā€™ feel makes these switches better. Theyā€™re best as crisp and snappy unlubed switches.

I see people using 65 G TX. Thatā€™s one of the best springs out there. How does it differ from the stock 62? I already find the 62 plenty snappy.

Ultimately, I would like a lower tactility Boba, so I have been experimenting with Silent Sky stems. The guide says to use at least 68 G with the Silent Sky stems. I am using 55 G, as you may have seen. Maybe you need 68 G to get the full tactility, but I donā€™t care.

Fatalruin, can you elaborate on how the 16mm TX 62 G compares to the stock 62? In terms of weight and return?

3 Likes

Ha. Yes, thatā€™s a perfect description! I think I can feel the fear of clicking too many times and getting the lead too long as I press! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We really just need more custom Topre options. Bobas are okay, but topre is so much more pleasing to my fingers.

2 Likes

This is from memory (from a day ago or so) since I donā€™t have them in front of me this instant. The bottom out weight and return are about the same for the two springs, but the preload added by the TX spring ups the tactile force a little bit and makes it feel a bit snappier as well. The only reason Iā€™m putting the TX springs in is that I ordered 68g switches due to the samples that I received being mislabeled 68g when they were 62g. Anecdotally, I did try some Alpaca springs in them but those felt way lighter than the stock 62g spring in my samples with reduced tactility.

3 Likes

Itā€™s funny, while I like my 660c, switching to it isnā€™t easy after using mx tactile and linear switches ā€“ my fingers feel like they are being sucked into the switch while typing and not resetting all that fast, really dragging down my speed till I readjust. The 55g 87u doesnā€™t have that feeling, but is a bit tiring after a while. Strangely, my 65g Niz domes is the easiest and most enjoyable to type on. I do have some BKE lights and ultralights to try however.

1 Like

any experience with lubing holy bobas (halo stem)?

2 Likes

Hi everyone, first post here!

Is there a way to buy a couple of them (2 of 68g and 2 of 62) in Europe?
I would like to test them, but buying 10 per type is a bit too muchā€¦

3 Likes

Welcome!

Ringerkeys sells one at a time but shipping might be expensive to Europe. You can try contacting Gazzew directly on Reddit.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Good recommendations from @dave - while Gazzew doesnā€™t do free samples anymore, he might be down to sell you a small sample pack like that. Pretty sure you can still DM him @ u/hbheroinbob on reddit.

1 Like

@Deadeye Thanks Iā€™ll try!
@Dave Iā€™ll check that shop, thanks

Would a Gazzew Boba U4 switch work in a hot-swappable Keychron K2?

Donā€™t they have a thinner pin than other mx style switches?

Yes they are compatible and yes they have a thinner pin then standard cherry switches but it still works.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot

Helpful review, here:

What would be nice is a sequel to this review, looking at the frankenswitch combinations for U4 Boba. Popular ones indicated by the distributor are the Halo Bobas, as well as Pro Purple Bobas, and it is possible to use the previous Silent Sky and Sky stems in them.

The weakness of the previous Silent Sky design was the housing, in which there was leaf scratch / ping. In the new Boba U4 housing, this is no longer the case. So there should be a performance trial of these. Especially with lighter springs 55 - 60 G.

5 Likes

Definitely agreed on wanting to see a video about various frankenbobas. Iā€™m typing on 62g Holy Bobas right now, and theyā€™re quickly becoming a new favorite. I love how super-tactile they are without being harsh on the fingers or the ears - I think they sound fantastic, especially with some thicc boi caps on them.

I do see myself installing some slightly heavier springs to suit my typing style; the Boba leaf tends to emphasize a crisp bump on the way down at the relative cost of snappy pop-up at lighter to medium weights (especially with the U4 stem).

I put together some Boba U4ā€™s with 52g CWW springs, and they werenā€™t strong enough to always return the stem on their own without lubing the tactile legs. I didnā€™t have any 55g to try but I feel like they might be the lower limit of usability there. Say all that to say that I share an interest in seeing more documented exploration of this housingā€™s possibilities, because it really is outstanding in a few ways.

5 Likes