What do we know about the Leopold "Star" switches?

People are talking about a new switch for Leopold keyboard under the name of the “Star” series.

They come in two variants, tactile and linear. I think the latter is 62 gr.

I have read that the tactile “Star” switches are mean to be a sort of Ergo Clear. You can read about the force diagram [not sure which variant] here:

https://www.zfrontier.com/mch/lryNQ9KvbmK1

They are supposedly more tactile than Ergo Clears. It is possible to buy them independently on TaoBao, when they are in-stock. This suggests they may not be manufactured by Leopold.

Does anyone know about the tactile “Star” characteristics, and of their similarity to Ergo Clears?

2 Likes

Never heard of these. Thanks for posting!

I think @Rob27shred had some of the linear ones

1 Like

Lol…no way can I peruse the TaoBao site. My Chinese hasn’t gotten any better. I’d love to give these a try as I’m a tactile man until I’m not.

I got some of the 62g linear ones in my Sirius right now. Overall they are a very nice switch IME. Very smooth (like close to JWK/Durock linear smooth), decently tight housings (can possibly be used without films, I film all my switches though so don’t quote me here), & nice neutral coloring. The only real complaint I can throw it’s way is that they are plate mount (3 pin) only right now. So you need to use them on a fairly fixed plate for best alignment. If the tactiles are as smooth as the linears & have a MX clear like bump I’d like to try them TBH. I just happened to come across my batch on mechmarket, but I’ll ask the guy I got them from how he got them.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was thinking of contacting that guy also, as I saw the ad on MM.

TaoBao (via proxies) seems to be the main source, right now.

1 Like

Can you comment on the sound? I know you’ve modded them, but would you be able to draw some comparisons to other switches?

3 Likes

I always thought that if a mfg. like Durock started copying and improving Cherry stalwarts like Browns and [Ergo] Clears, they could actually make a decent switch. Maybe something like that is happening with the Star tactiles.

[If I were Leopold, I would basically go to Durock and say, ‘here, make a 65 gr Clear, using fresh molds and smooth plastic.’ Then, I would finally have decent tactiles for factory keyboards.]

1 Like

Sound wise I’d compare them to Alpacas, Merlot/Linjar/Gat recolors, milky Gaterons. Not a very loud or sharp clack to them, drowned out even more once lubed. Fairly quiet IME.

1 Like