What (in your opinion) is the most underrated frankenswitch/switch combo?

Tell me why, I’m genuinely interested (and also how to make them lol)

1 Like

I can’t think of many frankenswitches I’d call “underrated” - but I can think of one, and it is one of my favorites. It’s also generally quite easy to get parts for.

3 Likes

I feel like Gateron Ink Yellows and Gateron Box Ink Pink/Black is underrated. But I love them. :person_shrugging:

Gateron cream bottom, anti-interference gateron PC top and new mold NK cream stem. it’s a very specific and weird combo, but it has basically no stem wobble and it’s really smooth even without lube.
Also BSUN made feker airy/panda with KTT kangbai/grapefruit stems. also barely any stem wobble and very smooth.

Halo True springs don’t mess around. They got such a bad rap, too! Even though the original Halo switches were somewhat underwhelming, they were also truly unique and brought a lot to the table, especially when strange tactiles were beloathed. Come to think of it, how many switches/boards have been vindicated by community history these days? The tide has well and turned for MX Blacks, which were hated by the community at large during the 2015-2017 boom of people who were venturing out of their gamer boards.

2 Likes

Did people actually hate MX Blacks?

But…why? I get disliking MX Browns, but what’s wrong with Blacks?

A few reasons. First, pre-retool (and ESPECIALLY pre-hyperglide), Cherry switches had such a bad reputation for scratchiness at the time, as well as the spring weight being a just a bit too high for most people.

1 Like

I think at least part of that is how pingy they can be. In a linear switch being typed on gently, they make basically no noise - but in their stock tactile switches mounted on something firm like the CTRL they came with at the time… well let’s just say I’m familiar with the song of their people.

Easily one of my favorite springs at this point, though. I wouldn’t mind seeing the fast-curve category get a little more love - but until it does, Halo True springs will always have a dedicated slot in my parts box.

3 Likes

JWK Twilights, designed by Pylons and brainandforce. Take the stem of a Durock Medium Tactile/its variants (Kinetic Labs Penguin, Mode Signal, C3 Dragonfruit, Rara V2) and stick it into a Durock T1 housing. You end up with an Ergo Clear style tactillity switch but with the same level of peak tactile force as a T1 and contemporaries.

Nowadays if you buy the parts from the Durock direct store on AliExpress they’re pretty cheap, at the time of this the DMTs are 24% off for 0.42 USD a switch, and you can buy JWICK T1s for 0.20 USD a switch.

Nowadays Ergo Clear style switches aren’t really as favored while Holy Panda/U4T/T1 style bumps and evolved Cherry Brown tactility is in vogue again. A shame as I find the Ergo Clear style of tactility to be the most useful tactile indicator.

3 Likes

It’s always interesting to see Ergo Clears wax and wane, but never ever disappear. Keep on keeping on, you funky little frankenswitch.

2 Likes

I must admit I do find it a little amusing how the community has oscillated between heavy tactiles in attempts to replicate Topre tactility and the light tactile niche is making a comeback but the original hyped frankenswitch hasn’t seen the same amount of love. I think ergo clear style tactility with the longer springs that everyone likes now (16mm+) would be a combination that many people would find themselves enjoying.

I’ve been using Durock Medium Tactiles with 62g TX Longs and a 67g TX Long in the spacebar and I keep coming back to this combination of switch and spring despite having T1s, Durock Light Tactiles, and Durock linears. Such a pleasant combination of tactility for all day typing.

I beg for the day that JWK decides to release the DMTs in their P3/LY stem material with a POM bottom because I will be lining up to give them my money :grin:

2 Likes