Warning! Lengthy Post! But maybe you feel the same too? Maybe my definition will change some day too
Summarizing / TLDR
- I am not picky about switches and identified my preferences (Cherry MX, Inks, Aliaz)
- I have too many boards in GB - just too many boards!
- I am not too picky with mounting styles (just no tray and integrated) as long as there is some cushioning (flex / bounce - whatever pple get agitated about)
- I am not super crazy about designs now (it’s a rectangle and for so many boards they almost all have similar side profiles, weight, and accent pieces at the end of the day)
- I started designing my board to what I want and enjoyed the overall experience and process
- I love basic keycaps (WoB, Dolch, and beige/CRP) so I am cool with these
After being in this hobby for more than a year as of writing this. I have gotten into many GBs for boards and keycaps, spent quite a lot of money, and overall saw many GB / In-Stock boards come and go in the scene.
These days…I don’t find myself feeling much excitement/FOMO for pretty much any new boards, keycaps or switches anymore. But let me share more below!
My taste for switches has also come to more or less a few - MX Blacks, MX Browns, Inks, and Aliaz. I am pretty much a basic switch bitch.
I realized that at the end they all are feeling pretty much the same without much differences (to me at least) because for smoothness-wise, I am not that picky too because although “scratchy” - the cherry mx switches aren’t that scratchy that I can really notice them.
Sound-Wise, I really love MX Blacks on alu plates - that pop and clack is really nice. Having tried like creams and other jwks, I think those just aren’t my type of thing - not that they are bad but just not for me.
So after awhile, I just think frankenswitches or any other new ones coming out are just maybe tweaking stuff a little here and there but not that significant improvement in the overall quality of life for me.
This one is quite interesting because of these reasons:
- I have really decent boards at this moment (Freyr TKL, Savage 65, KBD67, Kara, HHKB Pro 2) - These boards look and feel amazing to me. Again, I think I am not that picky too, I think these boards do have some nice softer bottoming out than integrated plate (the ID80 which I sold off). Which I think a nice amount of softness is good enough for me. But I see many people going nuts about flex/bounce - at the end, can’t we just enjoy those 2 variables as 1 variable known as “Cushioned Bottom Out”? and make peace with each other to not fight over the definition of them?
I also figured for mounting styles - at the end of the day as long as there is some sort of cushioned bottom out, I will be happy enough. I don’t need that fancy this and that mount. Top mount can have a cushioned bottom out too if we know how to tune the mounting points.
Joined too many GBs!! The thought of having more boards (abt 8-10 more) just makes me more stressed and having to wait that long is not helping too! So I think this factor that made me a little more turned off. It’s not adding joy but adding the “clutter”, and now I gotta think how I would store those boards - especially if I like them all and wanna keep them!
“Designing” my own board! After figuring out how to design boards on fusion, watching streams on what “good internals” of boards are, and learning where to get manus (alibaba of course). I realized that I can basically make any boards I want any time - as long as I am ready with the design files I have, and feel like making them. Mounting styles can be the good old top mount that can still feel really damn good.
Then it dawned upon me that this could be making my own board could be end game because it’s really more satisfying to design your own - that level of control, that process of crafting it in fusion, then discussing the quotation and material with manu is really exciting too! And the adrenaline when you pressed the order button is really quite hard to explain unless you have done it but gotta say it’s satisfying once again. Also, though more expensive but I gotta say it is worth it for the experience I mentioned above. Plus I get to have my board in about 2-3 weeks time which is definitely better than getting on a GB that could last a year, and by the time it comes, I am not sure I will be that excited anymore.
Here is a little render of a board I just ordered a proto recently!
- Rectangle with Almost Similar Designs? After awhile I just feel like there is so many people can do to the design of keyboards. It’s koala sides, the OTD/Jane sides, the seamless sides, the seamed sides, the jagged sides, the shiny SS/brass weight or sandblasted SS/brass weight. Once you looked from the top when typing, it’s pretty much the same for all boards?
Hmmm…at this point I think can probably make my own because there is only so much to a “clean” design that I like.
- Basic Bitch againnnn…Yeah I just love WoB, Dolch, and beige /CRP keycaps at the end of the day. LOL. ok maybe I got some funky ones like GMK Dandy and GMK Striker but those are uniform colours too right ? so yeah I am that basic. Not super picky. And waiting so long for GMK caps are so sad for me - I know they have production limitations but I am just sad because of the waiting time no hate towards the manu.
Yeah overall, that is my rant on my endgame. What about yours?