What is on your desk today?

I used to have this exact phone! It was my dads before me and I always thought it was so cool.

1 Like

Is it from a jail? I know that’s a thing they used to (maybe still?) do for electronics so that things can’t be smuggled inside. When I was a kid my dad had a TV he got at a pawn shop or something that was clear just like that phone and that was why it was clear

It’s a Lenoxx Sound PH-1400; I’m not sure if that was originally developed for prison use, but I remember seeing them in Spencer Gifts in the 90’s.

Clear phones like these were a trend in the 90s so I doubt it was made for prison use.

2 Likes

We need to bring back the trend for transparent appliances.

2 Likes

This is a total coincidence, but speaking of transparent appliances, I converted my Macintosh SE/30 into a transparent version today using a case from MacEffects (this is one of their cheaper “Rev. A” cases that isn’t quite as clear as the “Rev. B” versions, but it looks great to me). The installation process is not easy. I’ve taken compact Macs apart for various things in the past, but for this you have to literally remove everything from the stock case and transfer it to the new one. I even had a molex connector pull out of the analog board while I was disassembling things, but thanks to my knowledge of mechanical keyboards, I now know enough about soldering to fix things like that.

It’s not very satisfying to just have a transparent computer but still use the same old beige accessories, so I put together a transparent mechanical keyboard with a DZ60 and Gateron Reds, with a clear KBDFans case and a transparent DCS keyset from PMK. The mouse is a Fellowes Tech Mouse from 1999. MacEffects does also sell a kit that allows you to convert an Apple mouse to be transparent, which I will probably do sooner or later.

Both the keyboard and mouse are USB, which the Macintosh SE/30 does not even come close to supporting on its own, but the Wombat ADB-USB convertor allows you to use USB input devices with Macs that only support ADB. Even the LED underglow/backlight on the keyboard works, which I thought was pretty cool.

32 Likes

:fearful: I bow before you. This an amazing project. Super beautiful. If you only had a clear modern m0110

3 Likes

Yes, I would love a transparent M0110. I could actually 3D print one using transparent resin if I had a big enough printer but as of yet I do not.

4 Likes

This is amazing! nice work

1 Like

Shame. Anyone else who could? I would buy.

1 Like

Keycaps would be tricky too. Maybe try the mouse?

1 Like

I’ve seen plenty of clear keycaps

I knew I’ve seen them recently :joy:
:point_down::point_up_2:

There are already clear keycaps (see photo above) and a clear mouse case available, so I don’t really feel the need to print any, but there aren’t any transparent M0110 cases as far as I am aware.

I mean caps for the og M0110

1 Like

Got my trusted HHKB type-s with some unusual usage of the usb hub which I find very useful. featuring a usb light and ethernet connection.

9 Likes

I also found the HHKB usb hub useful during this period of WFH, as it serves as a holder for mouse + trackball ,while only the HHKB cable moves between my work laptop and personal

2 Likes

Whitefox /w stock Kiwis + SA Bliss

G903SE at the back on my old DKT mousepad

9 Likes

New key set and trying kiwis in my hotswap.

Edit: forgot photos. Oops

16 Likes

I agree with that! mouse recievers are always good to keep with the keyboard so one connection does everything. just added the ethernet for more stable connection specially since Im doing alot of meetings and online classes from home

3 Likes

I finally tuned my U4 Bobas and slapped them in my U80-A with Olivia++. I used 65g TX springs, and no lube – any lube I used (3203, 3204, 205g0) left the tactility in place but made the stroke feel even shorter for some reason and the switch felt very unsatisfying. Films weren’t necessary as the tops fit tighter than any switch that I’ve tried.

8 Likes