What is on your desk today?

Hey, thanks! It’s Dingus’ QAZ Tilt case on github!

1 Like

Built up my 8x last night! Really liking it so far, my only complaint would be even with a PC plate it still is a little hollow sounding. Gonna mess around with some thin sound dampening materials to see if I can improve the sound. Overall though I am pretty happy with it even as it sits. The specs are,
KBD8X MkII black alum
MKultra 2mm foam in the bottom of the case
PC full plate
Durock smokey stabs (V1), lubed with 205g0
Creams, filmed with keebo films, spring swapped to 63.5g spirit springs, housings/sliders lubed with 205g0, springs lubed with 105
ePBT Classic Retro Cyrillic

Edit: So there is just no getting around it with this case, it needs foam to not sound hollow. I decided to against plate foam when building as I really do not like to use foam at all. But I just put a sheet of 2mm MKultra foam in the bottom of the case & it sounds much better now. Eliminates 99% of the hollowness at the expense of the typing feel becoming a little stiffer. Would probably be a deal breaker for me in most situations, but this case does not have much room for flex anyways so I can deal with it on this build.

17 Likes

What do you program your “fn” key (next to rShift) to on such a large layout? On a 60%, I put delete or something on there, but on a TLK like this you already have a lot of the keys. I am curious as to what you would put.

2 Likes

On my Fn layer I have some media controls, macros, & lighting controls. It really won’t get a ton of use on this, you are right. I’m just so used to split BS & R shift that I kept it for this build TBH.

1 Like

Makes sense! At the very least it saves you a stab :smiley:

1 Like

(forgive the strange lighting in my apartment)

Recently finished building this board. I’ve been using it for about a week and am enjoying it. It will be my day-to-day keyboard for the foreseeable future. I made the extremely bird-brained decision to use a layout with 2 x 2u space keys, so it will be a bit of time before I get a keycap set that looks clean on the board, but functionally it’s exactly what I need for my work.

Plexus75 PCB
Tofu60 case (slightly modified)
Gateron Ink Black Silent, 68g progressive springs, 205g0, TX films
Carbon Fiber Plate

16 Likes

Finally got a 45-ATS. Person I got it from used the carbon plate, I’ll be swapping in brass.

12 Likes

Wow that PCB is gorgeous! is that some sort of 40% layout? This might be the first time I’ve seen a 40% build that is not ortholinear. Love it! I look forward to seeing pics of it built when the time comes!

Really there are are a couple of ongoing GBs with non ortho 40% on atm

1 Like

After a couple of months of getting parts from all over the internet, it’s finally at a place I’m proud of. Practice60 plate and PCB from cannonkeys, Gateron black switches (lubed w krytox 205G0, tx filmed), plastic 60% case from Kebo.store, RGB strip from keeb.io, glorious black and white abs shine through keycaps from pcgamingrace and a lot of soldering.

11 Likes

Rakk Lam-Ang Pro

• Silent Box Browns
  • Upgraded & modded stabs
  • Mistel WoB keys
  • Rando pbt Cherry profile spacebar in gray

My work board for now - it’s mostly great except for MacOS reading the F-row as if the Mac FN key was being held. My other keyboards F-rows are read normally by this machine, so I’m not sure what’s up there, but I’m sure I can fix it in software.

I’m really loving these Mistel keys, but unfortunately I’m not able to use the spacebar on any of my builds with plate mount stabs; which at the moment is most of them. The bar appears totally flat, but makes the stab inserts scrape their housings and behave sluggishly. This probably won’t be an issue for stabs with more loose tolerances, and wouldn’t be an issue at all for Costar stabs. (That being the case, these will ultimately find their home on an old Filco project I’ve had waiting on “the perfect keys”)

Edit: Sound test

9 Likes

Did you buy this off flashquark? also would you mind making a sound test? I’m thinking of picking one up myself

Oh gosh - I can’t remember at the moment - it was from one of the smaller vendors, last time I checked they were out. This is an un-branded version that came with no foam or accessories, but it’s otherwise the same.

If I can remember I’ll record one tonight - stock stabs were of course awful but it sounds alright now.

Edit: it was Keeb.io that had these for a little while; here is the listing.

2 Likes

Okay - here’s a quick and dirty sound test recorded with my phone:

This one has modded stabs - the stock ones are pretty bad. Silent Box Browns with the Mistel double-shots.

4 Likes

Sounds surpsingly nice for the price point, goes to show how much those boards can improve from a little TLC. Thank you for that I’m definitely gonna pick one up now.

1 Like

Keeb.io has N9 ortho add-on kit in stock. It comes with 2x2u convex keys, so if you have a set that can match, it could work really well.

2 Likes

Wow man thank you. It’s rare to find odd little GMK kits like this in stock anywhere.

1 Like

You can set this in the System Preferences -> Keyboard:

As this is user-wide setting, and not per keyboard, it’s weird that it is acting differently on one keyboard you own though. But I think it can be explained by “MacOS mode” of some vendors - for example Varmilo disappointed me in that: their “mac mode” makes all funciton keys act normally except the one for keyboard backlight (F6? F5? One of those) which acts the opposite.

2 Likes

Thank you! I knew this option existed but wasn’t sure where to find it.

Now that you mention it, this board does in fact have such a mode - I don’t use it because of how used to the key locations I am now, but that might explain why this one behaves differently than the rest.

Edit: works like a charm. :+1:

1 Like