What is on your desk today?

It’s a little bouncier than I’m used to, but it does feel pleasant. It sort of makes the switches feel a little heavier than they actually are.

2 Likes

I feel like an 1337 h4x0r typing on this thing. The brutalist vibes with red underglow look sick.

1 Like

Alpha9 finally built. Vintage Alps caps over Amber Alps.

14 Likes

KBD67 lite

• TTC Bluish Whites
  • MDA Big Bone
  • My first polycarb plate
  • My first gasket mount, too

Really liking this so far.

17 Likes

Big Bone, so comfy. How are the Bluish Whites?

2 Likes

I’m liking them so far. I like the tactile feel and the dampened bottom-out. The super long spring gives them a nice, confident return - which unlike the bottom-out is not dampened. Stock it’s a bit of a dry clink, I’m sure some lube in the right spots would clean that up into a nice light clack.

Edit; some quick and dirty phone recordings from my noisy office:

A couple others in the same environment for comparison:

5 Likes

wilba.tech kuro Thermal
Halt plate
Cherry-topped Alpacas lubed with 3204, spring swapped with Sprit 63.5 slow springs
GMK Metropolis

32 Likes

Got my Tind finished today. I went with the carbon fiber plate because the copper plate hole cutouts were simply too tight for these JWK switches.

Sound and feels very satisfying. Hope to get GMK Birch on it one day.

26 Likes

Those looks awesome on that board. Nice shots!

Sandstorm really works with this color.

3 Likes

Definitely agree. Sandstorm was one of the sets I was more impressed with once it came out. Really unique. I had trouble visualizing what color boards it would work with. Might have to grab it in the future. Zamb’s sets have been kind of sleepers for me. I had the same experience with Striker.

2 Likes

Birch would look :ok_hand: on this

3 Likes

Metropolis is such a good set and I can’t wait to put it on an upcoming build. Looks lovely on your Thermal!!!

4 Likes

You’ve already got your KBD67L up-and-running? But of course you do!

Actually sounds pretty good in that recording. I bought 10 test switches because of the TTC thread, but I wasn’t expecting much [Discord seems to hate this switch].

I’m always interested in new takes on Browns and Pandas though, so I’m going try some out. Maybe in the KBD67L…

(BTW polycarb plates are awesome. I have one in my KBD8X and would never go back.)

4 Likes

Absolute truth.

I got the KBD8X MKII (as mentioned above) and it’s really all you need in terms of quality. The only weakness, for me, is the lack of adjustable height. Could compromise some desk setups.

[I also don’t like how it relies on the brass weight for integrity and whatnot].

In its natural environment at some reasonable desk angle, it really shines. Most times you don’t want to go hollow with the 8X, but you can use softer fabrics to dampen the board instead of the factory foam. Some people say the factory foam is too thick and changes the experience too much from a stock/hollow one, creating that ‘bouncy’ feel you refer to.

[EDIT: Also, at the time I ordered, it was brass-only. So I ordered a custom polycarb plate from elsewhere. Really great stuff, you actually have aftermarket options for this board.]

4 Likes

Some of the switches on this board have developed an annoying spring noise on the upstroke… Yikers. They have been in heavy use for almost a year without lubing, so that is not THAT bad for the springs to start getting annoying.
EDIT: Found the switch with the noisy spring and replaced it. My ears have been saved.

1 Like

KBD67L w/ Ink Roos and ABS MT3

Gasket-mounted polycarb plate

I don’t know that I’ve ever enjoyed an amalgam of plastics this much before…

Edit - it sounds like this in the prepress office.

19 Likes

Geez dude, that sounds great.

3 Likes

That’s the plan!

2 Likes

BlindAssassin sent me his personal Viktus Styrka to play with for a few days.

It’s gorgeous, the first wine colored board I’ve had the chance to see in person. Went for WoB for to match the rear and bottom brass weights.

20 Likes

love it. I wish there were more colors available!

2 Likes