What is on your desk today?

URSA Minor, an FC660C, the Kiki660, and a very grumpy mug.

Gitchyusum - Coffee Mug with Handle, Grumpy Face – FIFTYEIGHT Products

13 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I got a new (to me) pen yesterday and realized it’s a perfect match for my J-02 :grin:

Pelikan MK10, J-02, GMK Hero

18 Likes

Love it! Love everything about it!

I’ve been trying like crazy to find a J-02. One I’m definitely sorry that I didn’t purchase.

2 Likes

Added force break mod to my xeno and put handarbeit on it. Force break mod didn’t effect the sound profile that much.

Still no way to make the LED feature anything other than a static color (no color changing or breathing available with the current firmware). Wish I could get some rainbow goodness on it. Supposedly this was going to be possible with VIA v2, but that never happened. RIP

14 Likes

Giving (factory Hyperglide) Cherry MX Ergo Clears a try, and trying them in general for the first time. It’s neat having tried a bunch of switches inspired by these before actually trying them. Like growing up on a cover and cover-cover of a song and then listening to the original - seeing what carried-over, what didn’t - and generally having a better idea of exactly what “Ergo Clear inspired” is supposed to mean.

Switch fluff ramble

As someone interested in the branching trees of influence that run through the MX space, I find these especially significant.

As far as I’m aware, they were the first frankenswitch shared around, and easily one of the most influential. I’d tried at least a few factory switches “inspired by Ergo Clears” before I ever tried Ergo Clears. Now they’re a factory product - and genuinely, I think this is the best thing that can happen for a good frankenswitch style, and I love to see it.

Whether it appears more or less directly 1:1 like this one, or as a new factory switch inspired by the characteristics like Dragonfruits - or like the whole wave of super-tactiles that followed Holy Pandas, which is now its own whole-ass category with lots of variety - I like seeing the fruit of experimentation become more accessible.

I feel like I’m typing on some snickity little bits of switch-history here. I also feel a little like I’ve bought a new pair of Chuck Taylors.

wait

Edit: oh hey - almost forgot. Noticed that my NK_ PBT caps were fitting a bit tight, so I tried the Geon tool on them (the switches), and it definitely made a difference. Still snappy-tight, but now, not enough to make me wince.

6 Likes

Did you use the Geon tool on the switches or the keycaps? last I’ve read the new Ergo Clears still have the extra thick stem.

Xeno looking good. What sounds are you hoping to alter, resonance?

I’m inching ever closer to building mine. I finally got around to desoldering a board full of Zealios (67g v1, round 8) which I thought would be a fitting match. Now I have to see how the lube job is holding up after nearly five years, and make any necessary tweaks. I will be jumping directly to a POM half plate so I really don’t know what to expect sound or feel wise (it kills me not using the shiny brass plate, but I don’t regret replacing the similar plate on my U80-A with a POM one).

I used the brass plate and gateron pro yellow switches (lightly lubed with 205g0). I like the switches a lot.

I built it a while back and didn’t think much of the sound. Lately I’ve been using a lot of plastic boards with some form of dampening, and I’ve gotten used to a deeper, more muted sound signature.

So when I came back to the xeno, I was surprised by how bright and slightly hollow it sounded. Trying to tone that down a bit. It still doesn’t sound perfect by any means, but it’s about 30% better. I could probably tape mod it or put some thin foam to help.

1 Like

I used it on the switch stems; pretty easy process. The next thing I plan to try it on are some Box Jades I know to be cap-killers.

1 Like

I’m curious if it would take anything off of a Boba U4T stem or not? I’m still a little paranoid to mount GMK sets on those stems as they seem tighter than even certain Gateron stems (or anything other than the host of JWK switches that I have which seem to be a bit undersized, especially the first batch Alpacas and H1’s). Alas, I no longer have my stemshaver to experiment with.

I’ll include those in my testing and let you know.

5 Likes

Tape modding my Space65 V2 really brought it to life (one layer of painters tape, one layer of gaffer’s tape over it), and it didn’t undercut it’s natural sound signature imho. The plate and case foam sadly couldn’t prevent the hollowness.

I know for me sometimes a little change can make me want to use a board all the time vs actively ignoring it’s existence if it doesn’t meet my expectations (yes, I’m spoiled).

3 Likes

:pray: Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

3 Likes

Dude. Thanks for sharing this, totally amazing!

2 Likes

Finally trying out my DCX set today. Very nice, quality keycaps. Im wishing they would have reversed the mod colors with the accent colors. The deep green is perfection. Maybe I’ll suggest it on Dorp for a r2 version. Maybe an all dark green version that you can buy as a new set or mix and match with this r1 version.

15 Likes

Nice, right?

3 Likes

I agree. The dark green is the magic in this set. I would buy an alternate mod/accent kit if made available.

1 Like

Really nice!
And I love the board too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spray painted FC980c.

22 Likes