What is on your desk today?

Got the Yang in and I’m impressed with how easy it was to setup. Thought I’d have to flash an image onto it for VIAL support but it worked right away when I plugged the USB in. Also was easy to expand the USB hole on the HHKB chassis.

Trying HSA for the first time even though I have 3 sets in my drawer. This looks nice enough that I might actually open up the HHKB and install an mx spacebar kit. I typically hate opening them up if I don’t have to. I lost the cardboard box I cut to keep the keys from being pressed when I take the pcb off.

8 Likes

Just put together a BD60. I think the Robocop color matches Redline so well, got that racecar look.
But I’m struggling with case ping. I forcebroke top/bottom case with a bunch of tape and the keyboard sounds great on my bare desk–but pings so badly on my 4mm deskmat. I don’t get it. I think I may try kilmat or polyfill or something, or maybe a silicone pour. Probably a project for another day…
I do love how it looks though, can’t stop looking at it.

On deskmat, but I guess my cellphone mic doesn’t really pick up the ping well:
https://youtube.com/shorts/4HYhyKKYL1A
On a hard surface, very little to no ping: https://youtube.com/shorts/YsHwtfXRabI

4 Likes

Very nice & sounds super good with your setup! Love it man! Same with the ARC & BD60. Although I will take your word the BD60 is pinging on soft surfaces. You can’t hear the ping in your videos of the BD60, but I think it definitely sounds better on a hard surface in them. Foam or some type of sound dampening should help it out on softer surfaces. I’d recommend trying polyfill or shelf liner under the PCB first before moving to foams if you do try it. Don’t want to drown out the natural sound of the KB too much!

1 Like

Thanks man! Means a lot.
I’ve never tried shelf liner, I’ll have to find some and give it a shot. Got a sheet of silicone off Aliexpress to cut up and place in the bottom but just haven’t gotten around to opening it yet. Kind of saving it for the day I get a laser cutter to try some patterns and get precise cuts lol

1 Like

It was my first try. I need to figure out a concept where it will not be that uneven. Maybe just one layer. And how to go around the corners without getting gaps or edges from cutting.

This one will go out to my niece as soon as I find another switch tester board as cheap as this. ^^
The entire Budget-Clicky-Gang thanks you for your reply. :heart:

2 Likes

It’s surprisingly easy and cheap ($15 or less) to pour a custom silicone dampener for your case and will likely give you a tighter fit than you could get with a laser cutter. I’ve poured a few starting with my first mech board.

5 Likes

To be fair, it looks like you did a good job of it.
I’ve done it once and it was slightly out of level, but even with it I barely noticed any difference in the case albeit it was a cheap ZT60 with terrible case ping.
I’ll have to give silicone pouring another shot. I did like how perfectly formed it ended up.

1 Like

Terrible at taking Photos as always.
Cherry G80-1800

• JWK Black V1 switches lubed with 205g0, Zorro Yellow switches on Numpad Numbers and also lubed with 205g0
  • TX Rev2 Stabs
  • Aifei BoG with DMK/JTK (can’t remember which one) Red Cherry ESC.Would love to put OG Dolch on it some day, maybe.
  • FR-4 Plate with flex cuts
  • R80-1800 PCB with flex cuts
  • USB-C Daughterboard
  • 2 Solenoids, Buzzer, Beeper and RGB backlighting
13 Likes

Good lord! Spicy!

Thanks! I was pretty happy with the result. I had heard that to get the best result you have to fill the silicone so that the PCB is snug against it and compresses it slightly when installed, but I’m sure there are cases that present more challenges than others. I’ve been surprised how much the poured silicone plus plate foam (between the PCB and the plate) did for the case sound.

Getting the case perfectly level was definitely the trickiest part, especially so considering our nearly 100-year-old house is not even the least bit level or square. :rofl:

2 Likes

KKB Violet Alert on a Parallel Portal with CF plate and Emogogo tactile switches. I think I might move this set to my Mangosteen Corsa, but I haven’t put it together yet and wanted to try these caps out!

12 Likes

Finally repopulating my Malicious. Thought I’d give CXA a try. They fit this board well…the “BOO” actually works, it has the “right” layout support for the two nav columns, and the profile feels better to me with a slightly steeper typing angle than other boards I’ve tried them in (7.5° vs. 6°).

12 Likes

DSS Sad Girl is on my desk today. I am so glad I ordered it.

• Check out the font and the W in particular - the new molds are awesome
  • Mintlodica claims she is never running this again
  • If SP’s future owners don’t stay in the hobby this may be the only keycap set ever with these double shot legends
  • The texture and feel is unparalleled - although it is ABS and I imagine will shine after heavy use

13 Likes

Your desk is tripping me out. Is that brick? Is your desk like your hearth? is that a deskpad?

(lol sorry, I was going through older posts on this thread and hit reply. Didn’t realize it was from so long ago)

Really like those icon mods!

OMG and the designer has a shout out to the glory days of Livejournal :broken_heart:

1 Like

I have become a cliche and I’m absolutely ok with it. The BT Yang controller has really helped with my New Year’s Resolution of keeping my desk clean. And I got some non-slip pads off of Etsy that allowed me to get rid of a deskmat too which means less decoration but a more usable desk.

8 Likes

Super potato pic cause my phone is getting ready to give up the ghost, but I threw a build together to try out the XOX70 & It’s really nice! I just lubed up some TX rev.3 stabs & used some more Gat Smoothies so I didn’t have to prep the switches. Overall I’m really digging the board so far (other than the forced layout HS PCB right now). I has nice soft typing feel with the poron gaskets (it also came with silicone gaskets that feel a bit firmer), really nice sound the spacebar slaps! The only foam I used was the thin one that protects the PCB from bottoming out on the case, but with the alum full plate it’s really not needed. The PCB does have some crazy RGB, but I don’t ever use that lighting like that. Also it makes impossible to use the indicator & badge lights by themselves which kinda sucks cause I would like to use those. Still a very nice board IMO & was a great deal for the sale price!

7 Likes

No independent led control for the badge? That stinks. Nice looking board, though.

1 Like

Yeah it works pretty wonky in VIA on the lighting tab. No matter what you select either all of the leds light up or none. Not sure whats up with that, I’ll have some more time tonight to piss around with it & see if i can get them working independently. I hope the solder PCB isnt the same. All I want is indicator lights & badge lights, not a laser show! :rofl:

1 Like

ENHANCE!

It’s fixed now…

3 Likes