What is on your desk today?

GMK Nines is so stunning. Very nice looking build here!

2 Likes

What’re your thoughts on its sound signature vs that of the stock ABS case? A little more muted and less resonant/bassy?

1 Like

It’s a USB-C dock, though I think it might have something in there to supplement the graphics power. My smaller personal laptop is also capable of running 2x1080p and a 4k with one of these, though neither of them are cheap computers lol.

Back to basics with my very first mech: CM Masterkeys Pro S with Cherry MX Blue switches. I loaned the keyboard to my father for the past year, and he just swopped it for a Niz Plum Nano75 45g which I recently purchased.

The Masterkeys has held up amazingly well as a workhorse keyboard all these years, complete with a with a nice, study chassis. The case is a little discolored but I find that it adds to the wabi-sabi look of it.

Interestingly, I’ve tried many different keycap sets on it but somehow the stock, well-shined doubleshot ABS keycaps in OEM profile works best for me. I suppose the combination of MX Blues, steel plate and plastic case makes taller and thicker keycaps feel too heavy. While the throughhole LEDs causes some interference with lower profile switches

9 Likes

he’s a lefty, d’ah! :smiley:

Yes, I’d say that’s an accurate description - though I would say “quite a bit” more than “a little” - there’s a pretty significant difference.

The alu case does have a sound pretty similar to other heavy cases of the same material; it absorbs more than it resonates, and you get more detail from the reflected high frequency vibrations while the lower ones get absorbed. (Pretty much the opposite with the plastic case.)

That does mean that really well-tuned components will have that lovely snackity sound with it - or that a rattly stab wire is front-and-center.

3 Likes

Love your descriptions.

2 Likes

Thank you! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Metro at the office

16 Likes

The Azur Kara showed up a few weeks ago and has been my daily driver for a while.

I’ve got Tealios in there, even though up until now I would have said I’m more of a tactile guy. It’s a nice little clacker!

11 Likes

I like the color combination

4 Likes

Nice Trackball. I have the same one.

1 Like

Vintage Camels on a Vintage Compaq. Just got the set today and they fit pretty nicely. Thank goodness Tai Hao have extended their base sets to include different keycap sizes.

In the early years I bought a load of their keycaps but now I almost can’t believe how thin they are. Couldn’t pass this set up though.

14 Likes

A simple project to get me back into doing Keyboard stuff. Hopefully I can start to work on my backlog now.

7 Likes

This is a great description - I think I have pretty similar notes in comparing the Heavy Grail to the stock HHKB enclosure.

1 Like

I decided to try some XHT-BDZ on these stabs, and switched the plates and PCBs between my KBD67s.

The bowing I had earlier followed the new plate; it looks like it’s just a hair too tight against the left-most edge of the left shift stabilizer. Still - the alu case flattened it right out. That build looks the same as it did before, though - this one doesn’t.

I swapped-in some Boba U4’s with 62g springs, moved the sandwich into a white case, and topped it off with MT3 BoW.

I really like how the sculpt of MT3 goes with the curve on the side here. Not visible; I decided to use different feet for this one, too - some more firm clear ones.

Part of the fun of a modular keyboard is being able to change it up in an evening - and at least for now, I really like this YD67BLE in its snowed-out digs.

I’ve taken a go at a white build a few times (and accrued way too many BoW sets), but the shades or tones of the keys and case always clashed. Not this time, though; the white ABS 67L case goes really well with the white ABS of these keys.

Same deal with the respective black versions - and of course the smoky grey looks great with Susuwatari.

I also learned today that I like Boba U4s more than I thought I did now that I’ve tried them with MT3, but I also found I prefer using GMK with Tecsee Diamonds - so as much as I gush about my favorite profile, it’s not always my favorite.

10 Likes

Have you compared the MT3 profile to the Melgeek MG profile? If so - how do you like them? I’m tempted to pick up an MT3 set, but I’m not 100% on the high profile yet.

Well, I’m using it, but I’m not sure I’m enjoying as much as a split keyboard like the Keebio Sinc. My two biggest peeves is the “c” key position and the fact that I’m very much in the habit of hitting the spacebar with either thumb. I don’t think this one is going to be a keeper.

Build Details

1. Lily58 Pro.
  2. RGB underlighting (currently only functioning under one half for some reason).
  3. 3D printed, tenting, custom designed case with wrist rests (definitely not ready for prime time).
  4. Gazzew Boba U4T, black switches.
  5. White on Black MT3 caps.

For the record, I have typed every C at least twice so far.

13 Likes

Rocking Cherry hyperglide brown with 62g Swagkey spring

14 Likes

Sometimes cheap XDA keycaps can bring a lot of joy…

14 Likes