What Lube/Lubes Does Everyone?

Interesting. The stickiness is the one factor that keeps me from using too much dielectric grease. It’s quite sticky, and if you overlube it will get under the stabilizer inserts and sometimes cause a space bar to get stuck down or feel sluggish. Might need to try some HVG

2 Likes

I have been trying to get some switches and lube, but it seems like every vendor I check out, they either have hyper glide blacks and are out of XHT-BDZ, or the opposite. I have been wanting to try XHT-BDZ but like I said I can’t find it and damn it is pricey!

Honestly I have seen you mention the Loctite stuff a couple of times, I have been wanting to try that as well. It may end up being the method I choose based on availability and convenience.

1 Like

I could send you a portion of the BDZ I have if you want to try it.

2 Likes

I have BDZ, and can say that it’s easy to apply and doesn’t take a lot, but you accidentally get a little on your hand that you don’t see and it gets EVERYWHERE. It’s also really tough to wash out of dark fabrics…

The Loctite is cheap and does the trick. The stabs I have used it on haven’t needed it reapplied and it hasn’t separated or stained my PCB.

Nyogel is kind of the best of both worlds between these two, and is lists dampening as one of its key features. You’ll want just a light coat of it on your wire as the stickiness is similar to honey and that helps keep the wire from ticking in the stem like BDZ.

HVG is of a similar viscosity to dielectric grease, but isn’t as sticky as Nyogel. That viscosity will help it stick to itself and stays put even in warmer temps.

As long as you are applying proper amounts to the wire, and not flooding the housings with these greases, then you should have responsible, stabs with no wire ticking.

With a well balanced wire and any of the greases I have listed, the chances of you needing to add more lube to most current generation stabs is going to be unlikely.

If you do need to add lube for housings that are hitching, first verify that the bends in your wires are 90-degrees and that the wire is perfectly straight.

I can’t stress enough how straight, balanced wires are 90% of perfect stabs…

I have plugged it elsewhere, but I have a little tutorial on how I have learned to tune my stabs to have them come out perfect almost every time.

:+1::+1:

2 Likes

Shooting you a private message!

Do you always use Durock stabs? What do you think about TX?

I have only used Durock stabs a couple of times. They are perfectly fine, as are TX, assuming you get the wires just right. I mainly use Cherry with Durock wires, or Staebies, but have also found Owlstabs to be good if the wires are straight right out of the box.

I have used WS stabs (even the newer ones with the coated wire ends), Gateron, and GMK stabs, but I keep coming back to the Cherry’s w/ Durock wires. Even buying the parts separately, I am still coming in cheaper than most other stabs, and they are easy and sound great. I will keep some TX long-pole stabilizer kits if I am using shortened travel long poles like homemade Cthulhus, and usually that just for the spacebar stabilizers to keep them from teeter-tottering.

2 Likes