What Switches Are We Typing On Today?

Oooh those, I call them Huano BlueWhites. But Holy tom’s sound much cooler. Will be calling them by that from now on, thanks for the info

That’s what they are called as far as i know, they also have a ‘v2’ version with black transparent housing and awesome neon’ish stem. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=632688526276

1 Like

bespoke.keys Diamond linear switches, mounted in my KBD67L R1 with ABS MT3 on top.

Really, really nice - they continue to impress me. Diamonds might be my new favorite linears, no joke.

The UHMWPE stems and top housings have a mild slip-stick effect, but unlike Creams they are very smooth even when dry. When typing, the slip-stick isn’t so much of a jitter down the key-travel as a tiny bit of resistance to break through at the very beginning - once the key starts moving it’s done sticking unless you’re really off-center, pulling the key sideways, or pressing very slowly.

I love this.

It lets me rest my fingers on the keys without depressing them at all, and it also gives me a nice little bit of clear feedback when typing where I can feel the beginning and end of each stroke intuitively.

I also just really like the way the plastic itself feels in use; different plastics carry vibrations differently, and these are decidedly not harsh. If Creams are like hitting bones together, these are closer to, I dunno, hot-glue sticks. They sound really good, too. Like, they make me want to improve the stabs on my hotswap board because they aren’t good enough to be alongside these switches. :stuck_out_tongue:

I bet these are mad smooth when lubed but I kind of don’t want to because they sound and feel near perfect for me as-is; I’ll probably do the springs and leave it at that.

1 Like

same thing happened with my friends silent ink v2’s, except they took quite a bit of force to break through. Not alot but not anyhting i’d be comfortable to type on. It felt like a medium-ish strong tactile with 0 pre travel. Kinda weird, but I guess that’s Gateron’s QC

So I fancy myself a Tactile switch kind of organism. I like the little bonus sensation from each keypress.

But today?

Today I’m typing on the Everglide Aqua Kings, Linear 68g switches and they’re lovely. It’s probably all of it together, the case, the keycaps, and the board; but I’m really enjoying typing on these.

3 Likes

KTT Rose

Super nice for the price.

2 Likes

Black Chocs with new 30g sprit springs lubed with 205g0 in my Ferris. Though fairly high pitched, these sound really… watery. I will make a sound test video. The 30g springs are much more pleasant than the original 60g. Took a bit of getting used to, but the combo of low pro, col stag, split, and light linears is extremely comfortable.

1 Like

I have gone full circle in this hobby, starting with MX blacks, trying dozens of other switches, and ending up back at MX blacks LOL. So yeah… Mx blacks . And if not those, probably Kailh linear or halo/polia stem in cherry hyperglide housings.

5 Likes

MX Blues for me today, as I don’t have pair programming/debugging sessions lined up. I suppose MX Blues are pretty unpopular by today’s standards, but I still enjoy the typing experience with them. I believe they hold a special place for introducing many of us into mech keyboards, including myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t get new switches, but I got a new o-ring for my bakeneko type board. Went from a 50A shore hardness ring to a 30A.

I still need more time to test, but I am little surprised that the difference is not as much as I was expecting… but I think like the 30A level of bounce more. It hits more on my goal level of bounce that I was originally going for.

1 Like

Hi there!
I’m trying to custom build an O-Ring mod 60 and I’ve been struggling to find an O-Ring that you don’t have to buy 50 of. Do you mind sharing where you sourced yours?

This was the only place that I was able to reliably source one. Aliexpress seems like a good option, but not every vendor on there will list the hardness.

2 Likes

Alternating between my KBD67 lite r2 with Zaku switches and my BM65 with NK creams. i like them both (keyboards and switches) quite a lot.

1 Like

thanks, I’ve made my way here a few but was intimidated by the volume pricing. I see now you can buy a few as 2.

I’ll give a few different hardnesses a try. I’m trying to modify a wood case with typical mounting spots so I have a few things I have to take care of before I even get to the o-ring

Yeah it was originally like 99. I emailed support and they lowered it to 2. My suspicion is that it may only be that low quantity for a while…

They said it was a glitch that it was raised that high, but I am not sure. I think they would prefer to deal in high volumes.

1 Like

So you are the one to thank! Awesome!

1 Like

Box Browns.

Doing some keycap, plate, and switch swaps on my other boards and pulled this out of the closet so I could type.

Surprisingly decent. Good reminder of why the Anne Pro 2 was super popular for a good 2-3 years.

Box brown feel like lubed cherry browns with a better sound. Totally useable, if unremarkable.

4 Likes

Typing on the Art BOX switches again [Browns].

They’re more tactile than the light tactiles I’m moving towards. BOX Browns are definitely more tactile than any Cherry Brown clone, they’re more of a medium tactile.

There’s this tactile ‘ceiling’ you have to crash through, and then you’re heading downwards with some force.

Very crisp and crunchy, but I’m starting to think these are distracting gimmicks. A true light tactile with some pre-travel gives you more control and smoothness, doesn’t bottom-out hard.

Guess Cherry had it right with the ‘Ergo Soft’ concept for Browns. It’s just that the execution leaves a little to be desired.

My Art BOX Browns are on the KPRepublic XD87, which I have to say is a really, really “entry-level” board. The board does nothing to enhance or deepen the sound. The metal plate is harsh and makes switches feel very ‘tight.’ These Art BOX Browns feel as if they are 20% more tactile than regular BOX Browns.

Although the XD87 has good aftermarket c3 stabilizers, the stock parts are all very basic. I am using this board for mundane tasks, but I greatly look forward to replacing it with something more advanced.

4 Likes

I’ve been typing on Silent Box Browns the last few days; they’re my default for the office. I think I’m on the same page with you - there’s something I like in the crispy crunchiness - it kind of adds to the sensation of using something “mechanical” for me - but it also really does lack refinement or consistency.

This evening I jumped back over to the Tecsee Diamonds on my KBD67 V3 thing; goah I love these.

I think the big caveat I have to attach to any recommendation for Diamonds is that they’re somewhat delicate; if the stems aren’t full UHMWPE, they’re close - because they’re soft - soft enough to bend slightly during an enthusiastic gaming session. My “W” key is a bit less smooth now, and much more prone to the “slip-stick” feeling, and I’m sure that’s because the stem became slightly deformed under too much pressure.

(Even though I know perfectly well I don’t own a single analog keyboard, I still press harder on the key when I want my character to walk faster…)

This might be the first linear so far that I would heartily recommend for typing, but caution against for gaming. I’d imagine the same holds true at very least for Tecsee Mint switches, as well as others that use high-UHMWPE-content stems.

4 Likes

Greetech browns are my light tactile switch of choice. If you haven’t tried them, you might want to check them out. They’re relatively inexpensive too

1 Like