What Switches Are We Typing On Today?

Can’t get enough of these kailh polia switches I picked up on the cheap from novelkeys. I think these are the first set of tactiles that I’ve been able to use consistently on my main board for more than a couple of days. Very much in love at the moment even though I haven’t even lubed them.

4 Likes

Currently using my take on the marshmallows: Tangie bottom and stems with cherry top and 68g sprit complex spring. Filmed with tx films and lubed with krytox mix.

3 Likes

Ooh! You got me very interested right now! Might pick these up, thanks for showing me

1 Like

Holy Bobas in my KBD67L

7 Likes

H is for Heisenberg (or more reasonably known as “Ink Blue with Halo stem”)

Giving these an extended test; starting with these I’ll be doing this with all the frankens on my site to see if any issues emerge (like the hotswap-unfriendly leaf situation with the Deadpool / Boba-on-Gat combos).

3 Likes

Marshmallows in my alu plate Mode80. They have a nice pop to them and have a weight to it that I really enjoy. Truly does feel like marshmallows. Here’s a short sound test!

2 Likes

Lubed and filmed tangies. Not sure where they fall on the linear stack for me though. I def prefer my lubed tealios but am also looking forward to trying out some black inks.

3 Likes

Wianxp Raspberry Pandas. It’s really weird. I went from a linear board in 2010 which i didn’t like to only using tactiles and clickies up until 1 or 2 months ago when i changed to NK creams to now not liking tactiles (as much) anymore. I thought that maybe it was just the Holy Tom’s that i didn’t like, so i put in the rasp Pandas, but i don’t really like those either… what a weird experience.

4 Likes

Using Akko CS Ocean Blues today - stems and housings lubed with g-lube, springs with super lube oil. I’ve been using these switches as my daily driver for a couple weeks now and so far I’m really liking them. If I’d known how much I’d enjoy them, I would’ve put a lot more effort into the lube job :sweat_smile:. Great switch overall though, especially for the price. I’ll probably do a detailed post about them sometime in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

I’m using the JWK Prince switches in a purple NK65 EE . I haven’t lubed them yet but imo I don’t mind them stock >.>

1 Like

Finally installed my Tacit. V2s. The bump is less pronounced than the T1s and U4T Thockys than I came from, but I’m starting to like them.

4 Likes

What do you think of those Prince switches? From the marketing description I’m imagining a T1 with a strong leaf, but what are they actually like?

They don’t feel that bad to type on, but funnily enough the board I was using before this had the Pom Cobalts from Prime KB. Although to my understanding the Pom Cobalts are the T1s but with a recolored stem. Granted this could change once I lube them but I’m not ready for that lol

1 Like

Oooh, you have me intrigued. What are4 Wianxp Raspberry Pandas, and Holy Tom’s?

Pewters (that I got from @YellowNot) - on an aluminum plate, in a resin tray-mount case, with ABS MT3 caps on top.

There’s definitely something about them I like - they have a smooth feel and a mild sound I appreciate. The tactility and weight are on the light side for me, but I’m sure I could get used to it if I weren’t constantly rotating switches.

3 Likes

I put some Hyperglides in my KBDPad MKII today. They are lubed with 205g0, have deskey films, and 2 stage 67g long springs. They feel really good. The plan is to do that same switch, but also stem swap for a cream stem and build a board with the.

I have 62g Boba U4Ts in my Bakeneko that I have been using for the last week. They have a light coat of 3204 on the stem sides (not on legs) and on the sliders in the bottom housing. These are def my fav tactile switch!

4 Likes

Holy Toms are strong/sharp tactile switches by Huano. Nice blue Housing on them. And the Raspberry Pandas are from (as far as i can tell) Wianxp, at least i can’t find any other Info on them or any lead to a Manufacturer. They are just normal Panda-like switches but with colored Housings. Both really nice to type on, though.

4 Likes

Those panda switches look interesting and I feel like I should order some lol

1 Like

They have a great “rolling” type sound when you get into a nice groove! I thought they were so nice, I bought them twice.

It hindsight it might be pretty stupid to have two boards with the same switches. If we ever get back to the office, one might just become an office board…

It’s interesting to see so many tactiles that people are typing on here recently.*

I’m typing on newly-installed Ergo Clears [65 G 14mm TX], filmed and lubed with 205g0 on a Leopold FC900R PD.

Sorry about the crap lighting, it’s an indoor office

Looks like I’m running a bit of an impromptu experiment, here. As you can see, it’s GMK on most of the board, but some MT3.

The expectation was that GMK would be the best keycaps for Ergo Clears, as I tested them with GMK.

However, with light 205g0 lubing on a metal plate in tray mount, it’s not working out precisely as I’d hoped.

The GMK kind of wants to stick half-way on the switches, and it bottoms-out harshly on the plate. Once you’re heading down, it just smacks hard.

The MT3, though. I find myself wanting to type on it more. I often favour ABS, but it really feels chalky with these Clears [and the previous batch, as well]. The MT3 sounds deeper, less plasticy, and it echoes and you don’t hear the scratch and the lube. Just a natural hi-pro typing sound.

But the funny thing about the MT3 is that it seems to function better with these switches. Doesn’t catch on the downstroke, upstroke is poppy. So, against expectations, my Leopold might become my first keyboard using PBT MT3.

*Although they seem to fall into two categories: heavy top-mounted tactiles like Pandas / T1 and very light tactiles like Pewter and Aliaz. CS Ocean Blue is kind of in the middle, although it seems like a smaller Panda to me.

3 Likes