What's on your workbench today?

Harvesting those crazy smooth vint blacks out of that WYSE ASCII I got today. Was on the fence about doing this, but I think a custom would be a better home for these switches. They really are like a 9.5/10! Then I’m gonna rebuild the WYSE with hyperglide or good retolled blacks & USB convert it. I love the way the WYSE ASCII looks, but with the funky layout it has I’m not sure how much I’ll actually use it.That is my justification for harvesting it.

11 Likes

Those are some cool looking PCB traces!

2 Likes

I agree! There is a certain beauty to well traced PCBs! :+1:

Let me know how the conversation goes. I hit a roadblock last summer and gave up

1 Like

Will do bud! :+1:

2 Likes

Built a Klippe with Tealios today.

After the Gingham, soldering this 60% was so straightforward and quick, though I definitely overfed a few joints. I don’t really have any reference for soldered switch pins, so let me know if these solder joints look amiss!

10 Likes

looks clean! but more importantly, hows it feel? you a fan?

1 Like

Sweet!

How does the keyboard feel? I don’t know yet: The keycaps I’m putting on this one arrive this week, so I haven’t typed on it. I’ll let ya know once I start using it.

1 Like

Smoothest MX style switches I’ve ever tried

2 Likes

Trying out the pinks.

9 Likes

@Dr.Doof @ddrfraser1 Effortless and smooooth. I’m a fan of the switches and the case :call_me_hand:t3:

Hope you like 'em! I like the weight and tactility of the Pinks, though the stock 45g domes are still my favorite.

4 Likes

I do like them. I like them more than any replacement dome I’ve tried to date (I’ve tried heavies, lights, and ultralights from jchan). These aren’t all that different than the 45g stock topre domes. They give the feeling of being just slightly lighter from the faster bump. But they are nice. I think I need to silence and lube this board now. Especially with aftermarket caps, this thing is LOUD. ha.

2 Likes

Do they feel about the same as regular BKE Domes?

I haven’t tried real BKE domes :frowning_face:

Then I guess we need to hang out

1 Like

Technically this was on my workbench a few weeks ago; I’ve posted a new build log to switchbox.studio alongside a minor style update.

This minimal 60% with smooth, strong, silent tactile switches is a perfect remedy to the rattly slabs of plastic provided to the IT department.

12 Likes

Poor man’s gasket mount Planck via rubber bumpons and double sided tape. Kinda jank, but it isn’t visible and the board sounds a million times better now.

8 Likes

On the workbench today - the beginnings of a very rough, draft of a faux-Extent with simplified construction. I can’t afford a real one and it is doubtful it will ever run again.

8 Likes

Already a beaut of a slab, where did you get that cut/what tools are you going to use to get it in working order? looks like a helluva project.

1 Like

Someone mentioned in a discord I am in that they teased a second round on Facebook :man_shrugging:

1 Like