What's on your workbench today?

Here you go buddy! In-stock and ready to party.

6 Likes

Awesome! I was thinking just yesterday that I’d like to replace my R1 plate with something that has a little more grip on the switches (namely the right shift) - I bet one of these will do the trick.

I love how easy it is to accessorize with the KBD67 lites / v3s.

1 Like

Not gonna lie…I glanced your comment and thought you meant the car “silvia” lmao.

2 Likes

Nice source of 3rd-party plates for popular boards. Ordered a pair of plates (Polaris!). Thx for the link!

1 Like

5 Likes

Built up a Bauer v2 :slight_smile:
63.5G Penguin Switches
GMK Shoko

17 Likes

I have desolded my yellow Ink’s and put in some Pinks :ok_hand:

17 Likes

Bought the board mainly for the keycaps for my HHKB, and was contemplating selling it for like $50 or something, but I do have extra topre keycaps laying around. So I’ll fix it up and use it at work I guess?

My god older Realforces are easy to open…

11 Likes

:hot_face:

10 Likes

Prototype of the Lumberjack PCB rev1.4 arrived today, just a few small life improvement tweaks to the 1.3 design and a chance to test out the new purple soldermask from JLCPCB.

It looks very pink in photographs, but its really a nice light purple colour.

Also took the opportunity to order some Unified Daughterboard PCBs of different designs to do SMD soldering practice on.

13 Likes

Found some time this weekend to mod the FC980C. I like the stock feel of the board, hence just lubing the stabilizers and adding some case foam. Thankful for all the guides on modding, but wow this is a much more tedious process compared to the MX boards

11 Likes

What are the white dots there?

1 Like

“switches” without the domes.

5 Likes

I just wanted to share a quick and dirty trick I use for stabilizing wobbly keycaps. If your keycaps teeter-totter from side-to-side due to a loose fitting stab slider, then this might be for you.

12 Likes

Isn’t it strange how much use Band-Aids get in this hobby?

8 Likes

Excellent tip! I think this would also work well if the keycaps themselves are a little warped, which can cause some ticking

2 Likes

I’ve tried a few things to shim cap stems, but I hadn’t thought to try this yet - I’ll add it to my short list! This was definitely an issue with the Enter key that came with my Portico.

I’ve used plastic wrap / shreds of plastic bag before, with mixed results - seems like it was fine most of the time but I’m pretty sure I broke a cap stem or two back in the day by using too many layers / not taking enough care.

I’ve also heard that PTFE tape can make a good stem shim; that’s what Dangkeebs recommended for UHMWPE stems that let go of caps a little too easily.

1 Like

That’s interesting because this all started with the Enter key on some IFK WoBs. Big hmmm.

I’ve spent hours scavenging my junk drawer for something that would work. I usually go with that flat waxy dental tape to fashion something small enough to wedge in the keycap stem, but that process comes with its own headaches and instant regrets.

I ended up using fabric band-aids since they have a mild adhesive and a good amount of compressibility. Plus, they’ll conform around the stab stem without too much resistance and won’t dislodge the mod if you need to remove the keycap again.

I first tried cramming the band-aid into either the left or right stem cross with tweezers, but letting the stab slider do the work and only modding a single side (as shown) had the best results.

1 Like

That’s a smart little trick. Reminds me of how you can jam a couple toothpicks into a piece of wood to secure a loose screw.

1 Like

Totally.

It does remind me of the toothpick mod a bit too.