What's on your workbench today?

I thought about another.)) No. there is no such. The effect when it sticks when pressed is if the full is the same material.

I have a switch EMT and it is a full pom. there is such an effect.
There is also a bsun panda blue, she is also a full pom. There is also this effect.
I also made a franc, a full pom corpus from a panda and a stem pom from an acco. It’s also a sticky effect.

And there is also an effect when, when you press the top of the keycap, everything is normal, and if you press the bottom edge of the keycap, then the ringing.
This is almost everywhere where stem from P3. For example epsilons. And others. I have many switches with P3 stem.
I first thought about it. DD switch is also a P3 stem, but there is no such thing here. Lucky.
There is also a pom bottom bottom case and it is soft. Other switches where the bottom pom is not so soft.

3 Likes

Had a free evening to tinker yesterday, so I swapped the PC plate on the Ginkgo65 for a POM plate and put in the Invokey Black Sesame switches (instead of the Gazzew Linear Thock), and boy does this rock! Love it - feels good and sounds good!

Since I’d “stolen” the Black Sesames from the Keychron Q1, I tried a couple of options there, but that steel plate is hard to tame, so I popped in the Tropical Water switches, which sound great but are way to loud for my liking. Same thing but quieter would be lovely.

And finally I swapped out the stock stabs for the Dygma Raise with some lubed Chosfox Arctic Fox stabs I bought on a whim, and it is so much nicer! Even just on the wire the XHT-BDZ was too heavy, but Krytox 205g0 did the trick.

All in all, a very satisfying and enjoyable tinkering session! :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Recently I returned to past project, making the NK65EE a real top mount without destroying the original bottom case, which meant designing a new plate and a new bottom case that doesn’t attach to the plate.

Plate is straightforward, I made it a bit smaller, I guess less contact with the top part = less vibrations? I also added holes for the original bottom part just in case.

The bottom case was tricky, NK_ didn’t make it easy, some design choices of the MK65EE are odd (but I digress)…

The PCB is quite big leaving very narrow clearance for anything around it so I had to improvise.

I used the side holes meant for the plate to attach the bottom case, with a plastic part protruding into the gap within the top case to allow it to be more securely attached, due ot the narrow space the plastic is not thick enough to go around the screw hole, (plus 3D printer limits) but it works fine.

More Photos, 3D model too

8 Likes

very inspiring, thank you for sharing.
May I aaske how you merged/fused the parts together?

I received a truckload of foam a couple of days ago…mostly poron case and pcb foam as well as pe and poron switch pcb stick-on foam as I wanted to experiment with sound shaping especially with my Dygma Raise (photos for reference, I forgot to take pics during the modding…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). The Raise has an integrated alu plate, and while I’ve successfully quietened it down with the help of butyl sound deadened, I wanted to find a way to make it sound more…pleasing. Less metallic and more…marbly? Soft and low pitch? Not sure what to call it. I’ve got Gateron Oil Kings in there paired with an XDA keycap set.

So, I popped in the pcb switch stickers, some pe, some poron (not much difference that I can tell) and the pcb foam. Together they make the keyboard slightly sound dampened (quieter, I guess), but higher pitched - definitely did not want that! In the Ginkgo65 it had the opposite effect - the more foam o stuck in, the lower it got, so I am mightily confused…where am I going wrong?

photos

5 Likes

All remaining Leyden Jar PCBs flash chip and buttons soldered, including a change of some 402 resistors on the board.

They are all tested and work fine :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The parts aren’t fused yet (lack of time sadly), I’m going to “weld” them with a solder Iron, it’s surprisingly easy and effective.

I used to glue them together with some shapes to hold them together (forgot the name for that).

Nowdays I “weld” the parts with 3D print waste of the same color, and sand it lightly, it’s much stronger and cleaner.

5 Likes

Thank you for your prompt response. I see you are using “dove tails” to interlock the parts of the bottom housing, very nice. How about the plate?

2 Likes

Yes dove tail is the name, thanks! I remembered something with “dove” but all google found was well, doves, haha.

I don’t use dove tails anymore, but with the plate I just made a cut between the switch holes and glued them together before I started “welding” parts.

1 Like

Deadbeat Frog TKL

6 Likes

Summary

6 Likes

Dying boba switches that started to turn off color

Rit dyemore midnight blue 20min on stove light heat.

14 Likes

So is the metal used in the contacts pretty corrosion resistant? I mean, you don’t have to worry about water on those parts? Awesome project. I’d like to try to make some green ones :slight_smile:
I wonder if you could find big batches of yellowed switches at a discount? :eyes:

1 Like

For corrosion, the closest thing i have done is clean switches in an ultrasonic cleaner. For that typically do 2 denture tabs and 2 rounds of 30 min. I then take the switches out and let them try for a day or 2. Prior to assembly give them a blast with the datavac.

Following a similar water exposure and drying process for this project :man_shrugging: :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Does 3D modeling count?

I’m currently towards the end of a project I’m working on, making a gasket mount case for an old GH60 equivalent PCB I own, to try gasket mount for the first time.

That kit was my first custom board, but it’s a cheap GH60 with the plastic tray mount case, so since I have a lot of 3D print filament laying around, I thought why not create a custom case?

Gaskets are based on the D65, the design is seperated into 4 parts, top, plate, bottom, and that "ramp, due to 3D printing limitations.

Style isn’t original I know, I like that style.

More photos

9 Likes

Yes, 3D modelling count’s every bit.

Of course you do :wink:

2 Likes

Speaking of green, I had these on my workbench the other day. The print failed on the inside though :disappointed_relieved:

24 Likes

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Modding this keyboard for my super cool aunt. It’s a Keychron C2, which is a budget fullsize hotswap. This one is beige and skips the back-lighting. It ships with Keychron branded reds and doubleshot OEM caps, and it sounds like this:

I’ll post a full build log on my site later, but here are a few highlights:

Silent BOX Browns and PE foam above and below the PCB; improves the sound, dims the otherwise bright indicator lights

BOX Jellyfish clickies on the lock keys to simulate retro lock switches, and heavy tactile-modded Zeal Clickiez on the OS Assistant (Cortana) and OS Lock (log-out) keys to prevent accidental activation. There’s also a stock (clicky mode) heavy one on the Esc key, paired with a metal+silicone kitty paw cap. Thonky!

Not a great photo, but there’s the finished board.

About the build

It now features the Hebrew sublegend keyset I got from PovertyKeys, which is extremely thicc. In Cherry profile, but thicker than old Cherry or GMK keys. They’re PBT dye-sub and quite decent quality, though a few numpad keys sit a little wonky. There’s the aforementioned kitty paw, and also three novelties from DCS Delftware on less-often-used function keys; Print Screen, OS Assistant, and OS Lock. (This keeb forgoes Scroll Lock and Pause / Break keys, and I don’t blame it.)

My aunt loves blue-and-white dishware and cats, and appreciates stuff that relates to her Hebrew heritage - so this set seemed perfect. I’d originally intended an all-white build with only Delftware keys - but then remembered that she’s an indoor smoker and would probably benefit from something that isn’t bright white or made of very thin thermoplastic. So! Ultra-thicc PBT heeb set it is.

It now sounds like this:

Not silent, but plenty less abrasive. Still a little ring if you listen close, but hey.

Thanksgiving miraculous-ness: the stabs are still stock! Shockingly decent, especially for a budget mech like this one. I didn’t even touch them and they sound better than half my own keebs :stuck_out_tongue: Hey! No complaints, this has to be the one of the most painless and fun single-sitting mod / builds for me… maybe ever? Sweet.

Welp - just a few more holiday gift builds to go!

10 Likes