What's one of your favorite movies you haven't watched in a cool minute?

I’ll start.

1997’s Cube by Vincenzo Natali.

I’m a big fan of this movie.

While some movies are applauded based on their soundtrack, I love how this movie plays so well without a score. Instead tense moments are marked with silence or diegetic sounds.

The characters are introduced with just enough to get them going, but that allows the audience and other characters to learn more about them as time goes on revealing interesting facts and oddities.

Honestly I don’t want to give too much away. It’s not a jump-scare kind of movie, but more of a tense and suspense kind of movie. Give it a watch sometime and I hope you enjoy it.

5 Likes

Napoleon Dynamite. Last time I watched it I was living with a guy I went to high school with here in the states (we were kids when it came out) and another dude we lived with that was from Kyrgyzstan and had never seen it. Me and the guy I went to high school with were cracking up the whole time and the other guy was sitting there going “wtf is this?” I never really realized when I was a kid, but if you step back and take a look it’s actually a pretty depressing movie.

5 Likes

1 Like

Pi directed by Darren Aronofsky in 1998.

As a moderately obsessive non-neurotypical, this film appealed to me on many levels. With its stark visual texture provided by 8mm film, and racing, paranoid sounds provided by Clint Mansell and Massive Attack among others, Pi genuinely takes you to another place. Familiar, yet offset.

If you like self-indulgently weird stuff in the vein of David Lynch, chances are you’ll like this, too.

Plus, hey - you might catch a glimpse of some old obscure keyboard bits as well!

7 Likes

Good call, I haven’t seen Pi in a hot minute. Requiem for a Dream (another one of Aronofsky’s) is what led me to give Pi a chance & I’m so glad I did! I guess I’d have to go with Requiem for one of my fav’s I haven’t seen in a while. Although fair warning to anyone who hasn’t seen it, it is a shocking & super depressing story, but will really make you think about a lot of things we all take for granted in our lives. The story just hits super close to home for me since I grew up running the streets & ended up having to battle the same demons portrayed in the film. So I may be over partial to it because of that, but it is still a great movie I’d highly recommend giving at least one watch.

7 Likes

This unbelievably creepy movie called Session 9. It’s sort of like The Shinning meets Shutter Island but filmed with a B-movie budget. I think it went straight to TV which is where I first saw it circa 2001. There was a bit going on that year, so it’s not surprising it’s a bit of an unknown. If you’re a fan of the genre, I’d highly recommend giving it a watch.

2 Likes

Shawshank Redemption.

I don’t know how many times I’ve watched it, but it’s the one movie that never gets old for me.

2 Likes

Heavy Metal, but I’m planning to have it on while I build my HMKB :metal:

4 Likes

I’ll vouch for Session 9 also! It really caught me off guard how good that flick was. Definitely a need to watch if you’re a horror or suspense buff!

1 Like

I haven’t really thought about this but when I read your post the first thing that popped into my head was Resevoir Dogs.

I saw it the theatre the first time with my roommate. The movie we wanted to see sold out but we were there so we decided to give it a try.

Knowing nothing about it ahead of time definitely impacted the overall experience.

5 Likes

One great movie with zero re-watch value is the usual suspects.

2 Likes

The movie which is the subject of this review:

I think it has rewatch value if you are watching it with people who have never seen it before. I made all my girlfriends watch it and my now wife as required movie viewing, and it was fun to watch them react to the ending.

1 Like