Which Lube for Switch Lube: An updated guide on the what, how, and where of switch lubricants

yeah i ended up picking up both - I will be trying g2 (which is the 205g0 analog, I believe) on some creams later to test it out. According to the product page I saw, g1 is supposed to be very thin. I had assumed thinner than 3204. but I will check. I’ve got all 4 on hand.

1 Like

Awesome, let us know how they do when you get a chance!

I have used Dupont PTFE spray and it works well, but you need to make sure it’s a consistent coat and you need some way to hold/mount the stems during both spraying and drying. You also need a very well ventilated workspace, or better yet just do it outside. But if you’re willing to put up with the mess, it’s a great budget RO-59 alternative.

Wanted to share a feedback: I’m mixing Superlube 21030 (grease) and Superlube 51004 (oil).

I Had to play with ratios but you basically can get the “consistency” you need for your grease.

I highly recommend buying the Superlube combo. It’s “cheaper” than Krytox and to my hands (and hears) it’s perfect :smiley:

PS: I use the grease (without mixing it with the oil) for the stabs wires too

3 Likes

I did that for my first switches, felt great.

2 Likes

has anyone already had experience with krytox xht-bdz on stab wires?

1 Like

Well written @cijanzen :+1:
Here is another 3d print switch opener for your list.

It would be very kind if you add keycapsss.com to the vendor list for Krytox 205 (Shipped from Germany Europe).

no one?

Doesn’t look like it 🤷

I’ve used XHT-BDZ on the stab wires of two builds so far. Pretty nice stuff, you do have to be extra careful with it as you do not want to get it inside the slider well. With a nice thick layer painted on the wires I haven’t noticed any rattle or sluggishness even using 50g springs. Neither build is old enough for me to speak to how much better or worse it’ll hold up over 205g0 or dielectric though.

4 Likes

I had a question about viscosity and greases vs oils.
In all the tables I see, the viscosity of greases and oils with the same ending numbers appears as equal, so 105 and 205 appear to have the same viscosity and they are higher than 104/204 for example. This is quite counterintuitive, I thought 105’s viscosity would be lower than 205 , 204 and maybe even 203!
Can anyone explain why this is not the case and 105 is listed as more viscous than those greases?
Does it mean once applied 105 will feel more “buttery” than 204 and 203?
I was thinking of trying 105 for my tactiles, does it mean I have to be more carefull with 105 application compared to tribosys 3203 and 3204?

Example of the tables I’m thinking of

2 Likes

The last digit indicates the viscosity, whereas the first digit indicates oil or grease as I think you’ve already pointed out here. In general you don’t have to be as careful with oils as you do grease because it’s harder to get too much to stick.

2 Likes