Which Lube for Switch Lube: An updated guide on the what, how, and where of switch lubricants

Ah yeah, I might even have one of those somewhere, it would definitely be nice to relieve some anxiety about what would happen if I knocked it off the shelf

Personally I would just go for empty ice cream tubs or biscuit boxes if I found no actual boxes to put the parts inā€¦ Easier to store too.

If youā€™re trying to be economical most plastic takeout/leftover containers work great and you can label what stems, springs, or housings are in each. Just make sure there isnā€™t any oily residue left as chicken wing grease is a suboptimal lubricant.

Plus, if youā€™re anything like me, since you are repurposing the containers, you will not feel AS ashamed when out of laziness you start using said containers to tub lube your stems and springs.

2 Likes

I use yogurt cartons for storage for a lot of stuff, those would work well too

I feel this one for real lol

2 Likes

Iā€™m the target group for this :slight_smile:

Based in Germany, I couldnā€™t get Krytox nor Tribosys easily and used SuperLube after being encouraged by this reddit post. Iā€™ve used a mix of about 3:1 grease to oil, and it seems to work fine (on Kailh Speed Silvers, Gateron Yellow, Black, Red. Though the lube seems to stick a bit less well on the Silver stem).

In the meantime, Iā€™ve found @KEYGEM who also sell Krytox. Iā€™ve been debating to get it for my next build, but lacking any real comparison Iā€™m reluctant to spend 4x the price (at least 280 Euro / 100g) when I already have working lube (~70 Euro/100g). I mean even if itā€™s ā€œbetter,ā€ is it 4 times better?

Just added them to the vendor list as well, thanks!

Has anyone lubed PE stems? What should I use? I plan on putting them in cream housings lubed with RO59 but Iā€™m not sure what to put on the stems.

3 Likes

Added loob.no (Ships from Norway) to the vendor list.

2 Likes

I think I should consider making my own lube video, lots of good info here and lots of good info all around the internet

5 Likes

I keep thinking about that too and also updating this guide. Then my brain goes, ā€œnahā€.

5 Likes

Would love to know the answer to this question too. But going with how smooth these stems should be, maybe the ro59 should go on the housings instead of the stems.

Also just wondering but has anybody tried the glorious lube and wouldnā€™t mind sharing their findings?

1 Like

Lubing beginner here. Some folks bag lube springs with krytox 105 and some with 106. Which one is better for that (I have both)?

On the other hand, there are reports that after a few years the oil is no longer on the spring. Therefore I read that it is more durable to apply grease to the spring (brush or donut method).

I am curious about your opinions on this.

A few years without rebuilding a board is a accomplishment by itself :sweat_smile:

But I usually mix some grease in the bag to (like 106-80/20-205) if it makes a difference I donā€™t know but it feels good so it canā€™t be bad. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I generally use 106 as I think the slightly lower viscosity helps it to stay on the springs a bit better but really 105 or 106 is fine. Iā€™d say just try both and see which one you like more.

2 Likes

Is it ok to bag lube with 107? It seems that everyone recommends 105 or 106 for spring.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™ll be fine, just add a tiny bit at a time & make sure to shake them for a decent amount of time. 107 is much more viscous than even 106 IME.

I am curious if anyone has any experience with Carbon GS1 or GS2 lube. Itā€™s hard for me to identify which switches either might be good for

1 Like

IMO, Krytox 205g2 and 105 mixed in a 1:1 ratio is as viscus as 205g0 and other notable contenders. By rolling your own lube, youā€™ll have the ability to adjust viscosity based on your application and being an in stock item on Amazon, availability and shipping is constant and cheap. Hereā€™s a quick chart I reference.

Lube Mix (205g2:105)
203g0 / 3203 0.5:1.5
204g0 / 3204 0.5:1
205g0 1:1
206g0 1:0.5
4 Likes

I havenā€™t had the chance to try either yet, but from what I heard one is supposed to be an analog for 205g0 & the other is supposed to be an analog for 3204 viscosity wise. Alexotos has used it so you may want to ask in his discord.