Which Lube for Switch Lube: An updated guide on the what, how, and where of switch lubricants

Great guide, very helpful for a newbie like me!
Just two questions: what grease do you recommend for springs and what lube or grease for stabs?
Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! I recommend oil for springs and in particular, 106. For stabs you can use any heavier lube like 205 or MCG 129 etc. Even permatex can be fine but you have to use a lighter amount of it.

2 Likes

So, in summary:

• Krytox GPL 205g0 for switches and stabs

• Krytox GPL 106 for springs

Thank you!

2 Likes

Yeah that can work although for tactile switches you may want to use a thinner lube like 3203 or 203 as itā€™s easier to apply without overdoing it and reducing tactility.

2 Likes

What is better for spring lubing, Krytox GPL 106 or 205g0 (linears)?

The opinions differ heavily on this question. Iā€™m consdering bag or tube lubing if I would choose the oil.

I would prefer 106, as that allows you to bag lube rather easily, but 205g0 can be applied to the ends of the spring if you want to use just 1 lube for the whole switch.

how much ml do you use for bag lubing (around 70 switches)?

I usually use 0.1-0.2ml per 100 springs but if the bag hasnā€™t been used for lube before you might need a bit extra. I use a small bag like the size Sprit springs come in. Keeps the oil closer to the springs and less waste in the bag itself.

2 Likes

Thank you, very helpful!

I had an idea after seeing a few folks trying gun oil on some of their components. This may be more silly than anything - but it seems to be working great so far: I recently did a build for a cyclist, so I thought it might be fun to use bike lube on the springs. I sprayed some teflon-based stuff in a bag with the springs, and it seems to have provided them with a nice even coat of fairly thick oil.

The once-vocal Halo springs are now ping-free and the switches very smooth - the only possible caveat so far is the smell. My friend appreciates it since it reminds them of working on their bikes (ā€œsmells like Dura-Ace!ā€), but Iā€™d imagine not everyone wants their keeb to smell like the work shed.

If anyone already happens to know why this might actually be a terrible idea, let me know - otherwise Iā€™ll get back to you folks with any developments. From what I understand about what this lube is meant for, it should cling to those springs for a reasonably long amount of time - all the while providing its unique fragrance.

3 Likes

Was it the tri-flow that smells like bananas?

2 Likes

Ha! Now that you mention it, yeah - it does kind of smell like bananas. Maybe synthetic, robot bananasā€¦ canā€™t un-smell.

2 Likes

The only possible issue I could think of using that Tri flow stuff is if there is something in it that doesnā€™t play nice with plastics. I highly doubt that though since it is made to use with bikes which have their fair share of plastics on them. Maybe test it on a loose housing just to be sure, but you might be onto something with the way this stuff is made to cling to parts! I have always been a big proponent of using oil for your springs, even if youā€™re using grease for the stem & housing. Iā€™ve stuck to krytox so far, but would definitely give a cheaper possibly better alternative a look! Let us know how it goes with this!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got loads of triflow for my bike, I think Iā€™ll be putting together my key65 late next week maybe Iā€™ll give it a try.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes if you do!

is the site keys.my legit as itā€™s not listed here? the prices are insane low.

nvm itā€™s the site store uni. anyway may some of you have tested it?

Speclub charges $15 for 5gram. Last time I bought from Store Uni, I paid ~$25 for a 25gram jar of 205g0 which will last a long time. So I think Store Uni (forget whatā€™s new name is) is still a good source for those many of us.

Iā€™ve used Teflon grease on stabs wherever plastic rubs on plastic but never spray

As the spray is more akin to oil it behaves as such. I basically only use it for springs nowadays. Its preference ofcause.

2 Likes