Why I prefer 7-inch spacebar

I haven’t seen much discussion over space bar size preference so…

I prefer 7-inch because its:

1. Symmetrical, at least in the alpha keyboard section.
  2. Easier to use - I use ⌘ key very often and it’s easier to reach.
  3. Sounds better - not sure why this is but I’ll take it.
9 Likes

Hell yeah. Plus it looks cool.

Some 7Us on my desk right now.

Plus this guy for extra credit

11 Likes

6u, 6.5u, are also usually symmetrical and look better, but 7u is definitely the easiest to support.

We can blame the 6.25u space bar on Microsoft for insisting on a menu key to the right, ruining any symmetry.

3 Likes

I switched to 7u cause it is symmetrical, and with this configuration, I can use right hand mods as pseudo-arrow keys on smaller layouts.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 9.36.43 AM

EDIT - Auto-correct took out my arrow keys part :tired_face:

7 Likes

Yes :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

So far, I’m indifferent.

I do love symmetry, but every standard/common non-ortho layout is not symmetrical on R2 and R3 (right?). So, I’m not sure yet that I would feel particularly strongly about maintaining symmetry on R5.

Anecdotally, I have all three on one keyboard or another, and I hadn’t thought about it much before this thread.

I do think the case-by-case rationale behind a particularly spacebar length choice seems more appealing to me (v. a universal preference). For example, the HHKB’s spacebar length is to avoid forming a cross at the right edge with the , and . keys; or @djmantis’s use of mods as arrows keys, which is pretty cool.

1 Like

what are the key sizes on the bottom of the EO87?

What is that like 1.25 and 1.5?

ah I see. I thought I was looking at a 1u all funny. That’s an interesting one! I don’t think I’ve seen 1.25u-1.25u-1.5u mods before.

Do you mean 7u?

A 7 inch spacebar would be roughly 9.3u long; 1 inch is 25.4mm

3 Likes

I feel like you are certainly sliding your glasses back up on your nose after this comment. :rofl: :nerd_face:

5 Likes

I’m forgetting the, "Akshually"

2 Likes

Yeah, I meant that. shrugs nonchalantly with rolling eyes

3 Likes