Will here. New keeb-head from OKC

Hi everyone. :wave: I’m a designer based in OKC. Been here for about 4 years, ever since I married my amazing wife. Was in Memphis before, most of my life. Originally from New Orleans.

I’m fairly new to keyboards-less than six months in. It can be an intense world for sure, but I’m here because I want to enjoy it. I’ve noticed some of the negative vibes of some of the other keyboard internet pools. This forum looks really refreshing so far. So I am excited to be here and participate.

I’ve known about mechanical keyboards for years, seeing stuff online about it. A coworker got into it. But I was always too busy or never had time. Well a startup I was in ended recently and I had more time… haha. :grimacing: I posted a call on Twitter (https://twitter.com/nola_will/status/1257115903902310402?s=20), and people came through. That’s where it started for me, and the rest is history. The more I learned the more I enjoyed. Finally found a board in stock one day and jumped on it. I wanted to wait and get a board I would love for a long time. I’m glad I did, even tho it cost a LOT (when it all added up).

My first set is a KBD75v2, silver case. Their PCB and assembly. I got cherry red linear switches. I didn’t really know which switches I wanted, so that seemed like a fair start. Excited to try some different ones soon tho. Wondering if I would tactile. Found a SA Laser keyset on r/mechmarket, mainly for the “back to the future” keys and the colors. Absolutely love them. So happy with my first mechanical board. :purple_heart:

My first board:

Got my eye on a couple other high end boards I might try for. The evolv for one. Eyeing the current GB on Rama right now… Raffles make my chances slim, and I fully understand that. I still enjoy following some of the cool designs out there. I appreciate quality work, and that you can’t have it all, and all at once. Here to enjoy the process and see cool projects happen. If I can score some great boards here or there, I’m all for it. If not, I still enjoy it. :smile:

Trying to collect more great designers and big names to follow out there too, just to be more aware of what’s happening, and the genuine people are that are actually doing cool things. Looks like that includes some of the moderators here. Post others if you know of any to follow, and where to follow.

Thanks for reading! :+1:

9 Likes

Hello and welcome! If you’re looking for a positive vibes keeb forum, you’ve come to the right place.

That’s quite a first board! I think you met your project goal in spades. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Welcome, too!

Is that a BTTF deskmat? :smiley: Very fitting for the SA Laser keycaps, despite they’re having less sunny yellow/orange.

Wasn’t aware that there were poster designs where even the DeLorean was in these colors. Just had the title in these colors in my mind.

Kbd75 is surely no bad choice for a start. Seems to have a decent quality and no too weird layout. And starting with SA Laser from r/mm sounds like quite a jump start. :slight_smile: Congrats!

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the welcome!

It is not a desk mat. I took a pic in front of the poster hanging in my office. A couple people have immediately asked that same thing tho. Seems like there’s interest.

2 Likes

My first full build! Figured I’d follow suit and post my builds on my own thread.

Tofu60
  • Frosted acrylic case
  • Dz60rgb hotswap pcb
  • Brass plate
  • 67g Tangie switches (pretty fun for a new guy like me)
  • Durock stabs
  • SA 9009 keys

Learned a lot actually going through the whole process for the first time. …like how I forgot to order stabs at first. Doh! And then how to actually mount stabs. Lol

Lot of rattle in the stabs, so my next mod is to address that. Guess it’s time to learn about lube. And I think I want case foam now.

Also the pcb didn’t have the under glow I expected. The dz60 I got seems like lights are on top, more as backlight under the switches and keys. Not a big deal for me, but would have preferred a cooler, more diffused glow in the acrylic (like all the trendy posts of these boards you see)

Lastly, I really love this smaller layout! Love that I keep arrows even in this size. First time trying something different after a 75, which was my first board. I do miss my “/?” key by the right shift. But I was able to map it under the right shift. I only feel it when coding tho.

I think I’m going to use this one for a while. I really really like it!

6 Likes

That is a really nice layout. I’m starting to want one for myself.

I feel like it’s a rite of passage to forget to order stabs. They’re so easy to overlook! All the custom build sites need a big red banner that pops up when you click check-out: “Did you remember to order stabs? DID YOU???” Lubing and clipping them isn’t as hard as it sounds, and I would highly recommend it.

You have a nice tidy build here though, great work!

2 Likes

Alright then. I’ve made it! Thanks for the compliment. I got stab foam coming today.

And yes. I love the layout. It gives me an idea for slightly modifying it tho. I’ll post later when I get another chance

1 Like

Here’s a modified layout idea I had, riffing off this pcb. In the layout I chose on this dz60, I don’t need the extra ‘del’ key. I want to replace that and recover the missing “/?” key I want. And if I shuffle that cluster on the right around a little, I can keep my arrow keys. The “fn” key isn’t as important to me either, and putting it in the bottom right feels good. If I get my “/?” back I won’t need the “fn” key as much as I won’t need to access another layer as often. Both shifts are 2U’s now, shifting R2 over a smidge to the left to keep the arrows aligned, but without losing the stagger too much.

I printed this out full size, to test it. The rshift is little further out then Im used to, but its not that bad. I bet I would get used to it within a day or less. This was fun to explore if nothing else.

Did you lube those reds? If not just wondering how they feel?

I assume you mean the 75? I ordered them lubed from KBDFans, so I did not personally lube them. It was my first board so I didn’t really know how to do that at the time (still learning how actually). They were a great starter switch for me - lightweight action, smooth typing feel - but I’ve moved to other switches I like better now.