With Silent Tactile Switches do we still need Topre/EC boards?

I’m still pretty new (more than a year in this hobby), after ten years with Apple Magic Keyboard, I’ve started testing proper ones. :vulcan_salute:

Long story short, recently sold Rama U80 and concentrated only on 60% form factor. I can comfortably use the mouse and keyboard next to each other (including the thumb rule - where my thumb from the mouse can reach the ENTER key).

:point_right: Topre – HHKB Type-S (with Heavy Grail – important)

• The layout (I’m a fan of the HHKB structure)
  • The sound & feel (the sound put me into some kind of zone, where I feel more productive, lol, weird)
  • Heavy Grail housing will deliver touchable sensations (this is super important for me).

:point_right: MX - Wilba Thermal - HHKB (shipping in few weeks)

• Subjectively think this is the most beautiful board on the market from a design perspective (I wouldn’t trade it for anything, literally), Wilba did a fabulous job.
  • The mount is super interesting – I’m very excited about the typing experience
  • The layout (same - HHKB)
  • Ability to experiment with switches & keycaps (opposite to Topre, which is very limited)

BTW: I’ve decided to limit my boards to two pieces only (no exceptions), one Topre, one MX. If I ever buy a new board, it must be better then the existing one (MX > MX or Topre > Topre). This is my “strategy” for surviving in this “hobby”. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

those are two gorgeous boards. does the heavy-6 housing affect BT connectivity on the Type-S or am I confusing models there? or do you stay wired on that board.

the thumb rule is interesting, but i can’t make it work on a 660M-like board; must be okay for people with bigger hands. is it an ergonomics thing or a specific programmer’s thing for faster coding?

1 Like

The heavy-6 is for Leopold FC660C, there will be Heavy Grail for the HHKB (next month? :crossed_fingers:), and yes, it will limit the BT functionality anyway.
I got the BT version (from amazon.de), however I keep it wired because waking up from sleep mode on mac (with BT keyboard) taking few seconds, wired is – instant (the same thing happening with Apple Magic Keyboards).

I got big hands, so for me, this is comfortable (natural) and kind of necessary, because I do lots of design (moving mouse a lot) and the thumb moving pretty frequently :wink:

2 Likes

my bad, i mixed it up (was just on norbauer’s site looking at the housings.) they look super chonky!

1 Like

No worries, totally understandable, I was confused about them as well at first.
After some time everything is much more clearer :raised_hands:

I convinced a friend of mine to try Topre blind and he really likes it. We both really can’t explain why it’s good, but we both came to the conclusion that it feels so unique/good that we actively look forward to typing.

Also stock vs BKE is another story.

The one good thing about this hobby is that most keebs retain like, at least, 80% of their value so you could theoretically buy a used Topre board and sell it for around the same price you bought it if you end up hating it, IMO.

4 Likes

Oooh man Thermal! I came in the hobby just 1 month after the pre-order closed for that and was still learning back then about this hobby then I saw Thermal and hope I can get on the next round if they ever run it again. Totally stunning looking board, with leaf-spring mount that gives that bouncy typing…and sounds soo good! Hope you will enjoy that!

2 Likes

I find it really interesting to see the discussions here about Topre vs Silent switches! So the thing about Topre is that it is not a single switch thing like MX switches where we can buy some and try without breaking the bank.

It will be totally revolutionary if someone manages to create single topre switches with MX stem that we can mount on a regular MX style pcb keyboards.

I bought a Niz for its MX compatibility and its lower tactility compared to Topre.

I enjoy the 45 gr weight, but I think it would be cool if it was even lighter and/or lubed.

Before I go spend money on a 35G Niz, do you know if lubing a Niz is worthwhile? I’m fine with the sound as is, but there’s a bit of scratch and resistance present that would probably be better if gone.

1 Like

well you’ll never get to mount them to mx PCB’s because the way they create actuation is completely different, where MX is just gold crosspoint, Topre is, as stated by the EC moniker, Electrostatic capacitive, and therefore senses the ‘actuation’ by setting a capacitance threshold beyond which the switch ‘actuates’. However NIZ has made mx mount EC boards at a somewhat more affordable price point for a few years now.

EDIT: also Gondolindrum is working on Topre PCB’s over on geekhack, under the name Faraday 60.

1 Like

It is definitely worth lubing your Niz!

But if you want to try out uniform 35g, you don’t need to buy another board if you’re comfortable with a bit of tinkering. Niz sells silicone dome sheets in different weights:

2 Likes

So Jealous of your Thermal. Hopefully there are extras!

Please don’t feel bad, I’m pretty sure there will be R2 for Thermal. Wilba said (“somewhere”) if this will happen, he will probably do different color variations as well. :slight_smile:
There are some renders of the PC version as well (used for some GMK Nautilus 2 promos), so it will be even more exciting. Also, you’ll have a clear understanding of the board as well (more reviews).

1 Like

Ooo man, I would like to have some Thermal too :smiley:

I can’t wait for mine! Hopefully Wilba releases the plate files for some PC plate fun

1 Like

did you get the hhkb or standard layout? the thermal sounds soo good! hope you will get yours and enjoy it!

HHKB, the only layout that counts.

3 Likes

Wish Cooler Master was still making the NovaTouch TKL. If they where, I’d be down for trying Topre…

1 Like

This is exactly why I prefer V1 Zilents to V2, even though the tactility on V2s is arguably better.

2 Likes

You could always try the R2 RGB TKL, that also has stock MX compatibility if that’s what you’re after.

1 Like