With Silent Tactile Switches do we still need Topre/EC boards?

Know of any video reviews?

Found @Manofinterests review of the full sized one. Would be interesting to know, if the TKL has the same build quality issues that the full sized one has.

Flexing housing and shitty keycaps are hard pills to swallow at 260+…

Now if Tex where to make a Topre version of the Shinobi. I’d throw down on that in a heart beat, as living with the width of a 60%, the functionality of a TKL, and the convenience of at TrackPoint are hard to give up.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I last used my HHKB because, thanks to super smooth MX switches of late, Topre sliders no longer feels smooth to me. I like Topre’s unique sound and feel but they’re not enough to offset the relative scratchiness.

What’d attract me back to enjoying Topre switches are:

1. UHMWPE stems, preferably MX-compatible.
  2. POM switch housing or case.
4 Likes

Oooo which MX switches are you using now? :slight_smile:

I am using gat inks, and I really like them!

1 Like

Um? I guess the correct term for Topre equivalent of switch stem is plunger. I meant UHMWPE Topre plunger with POM housing. In case of HHKB like integrated plate/housing design, at least top of the case will have to be made out of POM.

2 Likes

I was referring to this :slight_smile:

Aha. NK Silk/Dry, Tangerine V2, and Tealios. Worn-in Cream is almost there as well. No amount of lube can make Topre as smooth. Mauve and Alpaca are just as smooth but their wobble and sound signature detracts too much from the experience.

4 Likes

It’s redundant to add this, but of course it’s assumed you will lube and film your Alpacas / Mauves.

One of the things people don’t talk about as much is that there seems to be batch variance on the Alpacas. The first ones were extraordinarily smooth, although wobbly. Some have reported them tightening up the housings and upstroke in later batches, but also with less smoothness [molds aren’t as fresh.]

Reportedly, the latest batch of Alpacas might have experienced some retooling and be closer to Silks / Dries. That’s hearsay, though.

Anyway, yeah, all of those MX linears are hard to beat if put together properly.

2 Likes

yup. they were lubed and filmed. mod spoiled, there isn’t a switch I can use in stock form.

3 Likes

Glad to hear!

1 Like