Working on a storage project

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of before photos. I do have one that shows the general disarray my overflow keyboard storage closet was in:

So, I spent 3 days working and this is my progress. Still have a bit of work to do (adding another shelf and moving some empty boxes to the attic).

I’m proud of my work and I wanted to show it off. Organizing has really empowered me. Knowing where things go gives me a feeling of relief when I step in there. Honestly, I couldn’t even step in there before. Huge improvement. And, as a nice bonus, I freed up a lot of room in my office for additional boards.

Have to keep one closet rod accessible since my office doubles as a guest room when family visits. But I like the space it creates for extra light.

9 Likes

Also, did some rough maths… so that’s what $10,000 worth of keycaps looks like. In case you wondered. Oof

8 Likes

By the way, I had a cool idea for keycap storage that might interest some.

I bought bags and adhesive hang tags on amazon and put them up on a peg board like this

(This was on my garage work bench for a test)

It works brilliantly. You can fit 3 sets per peg on 6 inch pegs and 4 sets on 10 inch pegs. This eliminates having to ever dig through buckets to find the set you’re looking for, and keeps them on display.

Unfortunately I didn’t have enough room to build this out for my collection. Perhaps one day.

I did end up using the bags I purchased in my current solution. Can fit a lot of keycaps this way.

A bit more hassle, but maybe some day I can build my wall of keycaps.

1 Like

Nice, although I like to have all the keebs I have within sight 'cause they help me suppress my desire to get more. :-/

2 Likes

Oh I hear ya. This is mostly my larger vintage boards and unused parts though. I have a few display cases in my office with boards in them. I wish I could have it all in one place. NEED BIGGER ROOM

1 Like

I’m organizationally aroused right now. I purchased a couple of IDÅSEN cabinets from IKEA (pictured) to go with a large metal office bookcase/shelf to store my growing collection in. I used various sizes plastic storage bins like you did to organize everything further. It’s so nice to reach for something when you know exactly where it is. Such a timesaver when I want to lube some switches for an hour (or something equivalent), can grab what I need quickly, put it away just as quickly when I’m done, and not have parts of various projects strewn about my desk. In short, great job!

2 Likes

I love that cabinet! I bought one yesterday for my office!

Hell yeah. I started off with one and was basically compelled to by another one 6 months later, lol. I also picked up a metal/glass display cabinet for boards/headphones/whatever I want to keep in view, at hand, and dust free.

1 Like

My cat has decided she likes this storage solution the best

Works for me since the closet is now completely full. Not much room for storage in this space. Still looking for an affordable solution for good-looking open storage. I find myself needing to get to keycaps and switches much more often than keyboards. Unfortunately they don’t look as pretty sitting around :slight_smile:

I’ve had to triple my storage for keycaps and almost double my storage for switches. I feel like it’s not suitable for a home office space but probably more for a workshop. Hmm.

1 Like

I still have a bunch of jars if you need switch storage :sweat_smile:

I dont have a picture for reference, but at my parents place they had put book shelves up near the ceiling around the entire living room. Might be an option.

1 Like