Xeno Story & Review

8 Likes

Really informative video, I knew bits and pieces of the drama around this board, but this ran when I was early into the hobby, so I didn’t understand much of what was going on.
It’s a real shame what pwner went through, it seems like every designers nightmare.

2 Likes

Still looking forward to getting mine in silver. Here’s to 2021 being the year of xeno

3 Likes

This was well done. I think this is good content for someone new to the hobby looking to spend $$$$ on a “premium” keyboard. While many GBs go off without any major hitches, some don’t go as planned. God knows I’ve been burned (cough) Lumina, G60, to name a couple that come to mind. It just comes with the territory to some degree.

4 Likes

Very interesting, thank you for your hard work!

I would be great if you could do more content like this, describing famous GBs history.
Even success stories could be very useful to hear.

2 Likes

I really loved this video and I think this is part of what your channel should have more of.

We need someone who is more of an “elder” with a ton of knowledge to speak on the more objective side of this hobby. And having the regular reviews and other informative things on the channel can really help your channel meet the newbies to help them get better information to start them out.

3 Likes

The fun just started after you got your board, lol. Covid delays, a trickle of completed boards being delivered over 4 months, the old manufacturer either switching to Covid related production or going under completely, a new manu found to complete the remaining boards only to take 4 to 5 months to deliver samples, and finally no official updates since early August. My only consolation in all of this, is that the new manu will be producing purple boards that are actually purple and that QC has a potential to go up eliminating most of your gripes with the board (well, besides the switches you chose that can’t be counted against it, lol).

• finally far from burple
4 Likes

I don’t understand how so many of u (non specific) feel like it’s a part of the keeb-world and totally ok when things goes south.

I mean, what can you do about it? The money has been taken. You could boycot zeal keyboads, but he’s never going to run another keyboard GB after Xeno. I assume that every group buy I enter has some sort of legal copy about not being able to get my money back, but I guess you could try to file in small claims court. I’m not up for all that. I’ll just sit and wait and hope it eventually shows up.

2 Likes

You never mentioned if you reached out to Zeal to get his thoughts? Did that happen and did he just refuse to comment?

2 Likes

Take a look at Zeal’s discord where countless people are asking for answers that go unanswered. His Xeno update channel was born out of the idea that he would finally communicate what’s going on every week or two after mass backlash, but hasn’t posted in three months now. He’s very active when promoting new switches or informing everyone about a switch restock, but is a ghost where it matters. So yes, Zeal refuses to comment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

4 Likes

Well it’s more like ppl don’t even want it to change.

You’re becoming the keeb Che Guevara, lol. I don’t think it’s that people don’t want it to change, but that once you’re in the middle of a GB, you don’t have much choice of what happens. Really the best you can do is have the best judgement going into the buy. In the case of the Xeno, Zeal just delivered a beautiful board, the Zephyr, with some of the finest and most silky anno to date, and we had no reason to believe that the ball would be dropped so badly. In fact all evidence pointed to us getting one of the most premium boards out there. At this point, demanding my money back won’t deliver me the board I was expecting, and Zeal probably won’t run a board ever again, so there are realized consequences. I think the only way to limit the manufacturing issues (at least the accountability and legal obligations) is to have the runner and manu in the same country which we are seeing more of these days. Being half way around the world with almost no control or oversight of production is increasingly problematic, especially given the current state of our world.
¡Viva La Revolución!

2 Likes