XMIT's intro

Hi there! I’m XMIT. I’ve been active in the keyboard community since about 2014, when I finally stopped lurking and started contributing. Since then I’ve done a bunch of things, such as running sales for 500+ vintage keyboards, raiding recycling facilities and warehouses, posting pictures and repair information for numerous keyboards, and bringing a modern Hall Effect keyboard to market.

My interest in keyboards started well before 2014. Back in high school (late 90’s, early 00’s) us computer nerds quickly found that the “old” IBM and Apple keyboards (Model M, AEK I with Salmons) were much better built and better feeling than the “new” ones (rubber domes). So, we sought out these old, large, loud, beige keyboards. I’ve had a Model M in service since then, in one form or another.

Besides that, I’ve had a lifelong interest in electronics. Someone once said that “Getting Started in Electronics” by Forrest Mims was so easy to read that a third grader could follow it. Well, speaking from experience, it’s true: I read that book in third grade, and I learned more from this book than my college course on microelectronics. Ah well.

Offline, I’ve got a wife, three kids, a house, and a day job working for a well known semiconductor firm as a software person.

I’m excited to be a part of this community and am excited to see where it goes!

6 Likes

Welcome! (I am currently trying to up my post count on every thread before other people can)

1 Like

Glad to see you here, your work on revitalizing hall effect switches/boards was a great idea. Wonder what you’ve got planned next? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey XMIT! Your bamboo Hall Effect Board was my first mech keeb, and it has led me down this long and fascinating rabbit hole. I’ve since sold off your board to fund other keeb things, but yours will have a special place in my heart. I look forward to your next board! :slight_smile:

hey dude!

Patience! I’m always up to some new stuff…

Hey there bud! Hope all is well with you and the fam. :metal:

Hey there! Was just thinking about you since someone was talking about Chattanooga. Well, kid #3 arrived in February so I’ve been kind of out of it. Getting back into things but it’s taking a little while…