YOK Polar Pandas available at Novelkeys

These dropped within the past 24 hours and they are another wonderful addition to the trend of giving several colorway options for already amazing switches.

https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/frontpage/products/yok-polar-pandas

Identical to the other YOK Pandas in the series but a welcome colorway to be sure. Could look really good with either stem color from the Halo switches for a nice Holy Polar Bear tactile.

What does everyone else think?

1 Like

What does everyone else think?

Depends on personality and need I think. I am not into fussing over things out of sight but I use colored housings to ensure I don’t end up with a board with switches lubed differently.

More of a concern for me is potential variation in quality control over batches because, I recently found one Trash Panda out of ten samples that had some leaf issues where I had zero problems before.

2 Likes

This I think isn’t anything really that wild in that its just more colors for the YOK’s to be, but what was interesting me was the IC for the new clear GSUS switches on r/mk the other day.

With the both of these coming out in the same time frame its either a great coincidence or something is going on again. Seems we will have to find out.

1 Like

Anything to match or compete with the feel of HP’s and Zealios is more than welcomed.

I dont disagree, but I do think that they have gone in only half the right direction, instead of going for making the housings better than zeal housings they just made them the same way so that they have the similar sound as them. This is an issue then because they didnt change the mold as I was told, and that should’ve been one of the first things to change and iron out for a better switch. But the new spring does sound pretty nice

1 Like

More of a concern for me is potential variation in quality control over batches because, I recently found one Trash Panda out of ten samples that had some leaf issues where I had zero problems before.

This Trash Panda with leaf problem now feels like a linear even though it has a Halo stem. What surprised me is that liked that linear feel. I disliked all the linear switches I tried before but this one feels nice and it has the trademark Holy Panda sound which I like.

It feels, well, chewy like gum. It’s not fully linear but gently curved in a way that can be felt in both down direction without much resistance. I think there may be room for another type of switch between Linear and Tactile.

something something mx brown

(all jokes aside i wish low tactility switches were treated as a class of their own so that they’re not shit on all the time)

2 Likes

well even besides giving the brown-like switches more of the limelight, I do think that the progress made with certain linears not being “linear” might be something new to consider.

As in with an mx black the force is actually quite linear, but could something be made that has no bump like a tactile, yet has a change in force due to a slight curving in the stem itself? I think that is more or less what @donpark is mentioning here, and it does seem pretty interesting.

1 Like

Alps linears do fit the bill, in that regard.

1 Like

Unless I was lucky I have not personally had this issue with my Trash Pandas so far. I checked all 70+ after you mentioned to make sure. Is this a known issue with them?

1 Like

I mean that is technically true, but like I cannot stand alps anymore, and a more aggressive approach may be more necessary to really bring it into the mainstream

1 Like

Have you tried brown stems in yok housings? It’s really nice. I have brown (I’ll have to check to see if they are Kailh or Cherry) in mint yok housings. Very nice low tactility switch.

Plus, mint chocolate switches. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely not. Just saying it’s something to keep an eye on.

1 Like

Thank goodness. You had me worried for a moment!

1 Like

Would something like this be handled more by a spring though if we’re dealing with changing force curves?

potentially both could really, I think that the option of changing the curve works in either case.

Take the stem for example, where the weighting can change like any other switch with the changing of the spring, while the general shape of the curve, and thus feel, stays relatively the same.

Then on the other hand, having more “curved” weight springs would be a more pinpointed thing with it only having the sloped effect at that specific weight unlike at all. This may be the more cost effective option after said springs might be created, though I think long term it would be the less elegant solution.

I personally think they’re too bright, this shade of blue doesn’t go well on plastic imo. If it were a navy blue that’d be really cool.

I might grab these to use as linears, or maybe grab these with some mx clears to make some ergo clear pandas

Put some Aliaz stems (unlubed) in for fun just for the colors. Feels pretty okay, kind of like a silent brown. Love the blue color.