Zeal 60 PCB

The Zeal60 is a great PCB. The per-switch RGB LEDs are the obvious reason for the higher price, but also, there are lots of little things. The tolerances are just about perfect for Holtite sockets. Each key’s switch pins are labeled on the front AND back, which makes it easier when you’re trying to debug why the ‘Q’ key is the only one not working and you’re looking at the board from the backside. QMK support is awesome.

My only complaint is that I wish the bottom row supported more layouts. I want split spacebars and support for a proper HHKB layout (1u - 1.5u - 6u - 1.5u - 1u), and unfortunately neither of those things exists on the Zeal60 today.

3 Likes

well said

1 Like

That “HHKB” layout makes me so sad. I get that 7u spacebars make a fully-symmetrical layout and it looks appealing, but the usability is horrible - I always use my thumbs to hit the Alt/Cmd keys adjacent to the spacebar, and with the 7u spacebar, I just can’t contort my right hand to hit the keys to the right of the spacebar comfortably.

If it supported the asymmetrical 6u HHKB layout (1.5u blocker on the left, 2.5u on the right) then I’d probably buy two, but now I’m sad.

interesting. I learned something new today…

“Proper” HHKB layout is one of the many reasons I grabbed the first gen Zeal 60. Wish I had a proper HHKB type alloy case for it though…

It’s one of the nicer PCBs I’ve soldered, and QMK works well. It probably is a tad spendy, but in this case, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Are you saying HHKB with 7U spacebar is “proper” ???

You like to live dangerously, I see… :smile:

1 Like

Curious if you had any issues with the HS60? The thread on the group buy was filled to the gills with problems from what I saw…

Non at all,

I think there were a lot sold and a handful of really vocal people that had issues.

With conversion rates and customs (since to my knowledge the US doesn’t have a trade agreement with the EU that would cover this, see GMK) wouldn’t it be close to the same price as a B stock zeal?

also please tell me they will have US (or Canada!) based vendor heh

Man, if they ever release a revision of the Zeal60 that supported split spacebar, I’d join that groupbuy instantly :frowning_face:

Alternatively, if KBDfans could add in-switch RGB SMD LEDs to their DZ60 … :grin:

I ended up picking up a DZ60 to replace the Zeal60 in my TINA-A. Split spacebar and USB-C are worth giving up per-switch RGB LEDs, at least for me. I spend way more of my time actually typing things than looking at how pretty my keyboards are (although, don’t get me wrong, I spend a lot more time than any normal person on the latter as well).

That’s a good point. I touch-type and rarely look at my keyboard, even though I have the “fingerprint reactive” animation set on my K-Type. Maybe I can live without backlighting … :slight_smile:

it’s marketing, technically

No, I have a Hammer case, so 6.25u, and the modifiers that fit with that, so not exactly ‘proper’, but better than the 7u option. Keymap is setup like HHKB, plus the extra keys. Been a long time since I’ve looked at the bottom row options, but at the time, I was happy with the options available before I built.

I’m typing on a HHKB right now, but switching between this board and the Zeal60 is basically seamless.