2021 Keyboard Resolutions

Good one! Same.

3 Likes

Now that my surgery is done, my way is opened for all kinds of things I’ve been wanting to do:

• Start producing keyboard content, video and otherwise; and start a website for it

• Finish a fun keeb-adjacent collaborative project I’ve had kicking around for a while

• Up my game and build some “true” custom keebs

16 Likes

Learn how to solder and finally make a resin cap.

11 Likes

It would be:

1. Like @sarvopari, continue looking at the great @jshufelt build logs :slight_smile:

2. Finish my current custom keyboard project.

3. Start a new one :smiley:

4. Look at metal case finishing alternatives outside what CNC manufacturers proposes: anodizing, ceracoating, powder coating.

8 Likes

2021 resolution, trying to be keebfree :grin:

12 Likes
  1. Actually practice lubing switches until I can do it consistently
  2. Work on some planned projects that are more involved than “buy these things and solder them together”
  3. Learn how to really make use of the laser cutter and CNC I’ve been paying for access to and haven’t used at all
  4. Write some QMK macros to control my lights and other smart home stuff from macro pads (finally put my BDN9 to use)

Overall, this year I finally got into the “custom” side of things and as much as I love the high end stuff I want to go back to tinkering. I’ll have a couple more customs arriving next year that I’ll build up, but I want to go through with some of the more unusual things I’ve been planning on.

11 Likes

make use of the laser cutter and CNC I’ve been paying for access to and haven’t used at all

That’s gold right there. I wish I had that kind of access.

4 Likes

Haha yeah, I joined my city’s makerspace late last year and had so many ideas. And then suddenly in 2020 going into an enclosed space with a bunch of people I don’t know to use shared tools stopped being appealing.

8 Likes

Cool thread idea!

• solder more/at all. Got a cool gun and accessories kit from my partner for Christmas! So long hotswap.

• try smaller/split keyboards. Curious to see what the absolute lowest possible number of keys would be while retaining practicality. 46 is still too many :joy:

• support more small GBs to keep the community growing and variety up.

• build a 40% with Alps!

7 Likes

I’m in the process of building alu KBD8x MKII (grey one).
Alpacas on a PC plate, will use case foam as well as plate foam and do a gummyworm mount.
Hope it will be nice enough to use until Rama U80 Seq2 comes…

3 Likes

Declutter

6 Likes
  1. Get a desoldering gun
  2. Perfect stab tuning
  3. Try pom, fr4, cf plate
  4. Sell off some keebs and caps
  5. Find and acquire TKL with left-side macro column (instead of topmost row)
5 Likes

Ahem*

Coming out in 2021 and personally, I can’t wait.

6 Likes

Wow, yes, this!!!
But… cries in ISO

1 Like

Huh, that is odd and a shame. Good thing I prefer ANSI.

I wonder if the function keys would look off since they are all R1 height, and there being minimal space between the main cluster. I love the design though.

Nah. Plenty of keyboards utilize the AT F row. Looks great.

1. Stop using mechmarket - it’s really bad now. Also, r/mk is not so good in my opinion anymore either. I guess I really just need to spend all my online keyboard-related time here. :slightly_smiling_face:

2. Get used to linears - I started working on this one already and it’s going ok so far.

3. Buy a GMK set - in a group buy I mean. They’re ridiculous when you try to buy stuff aftermarket.

4. Buy more Fugus. Always need more Fugus.

17 Likes

My 2021 mechkey resolutions:

1. Add a HHKB Pro 3 Hybrid Type-S to my Topre collection, though gonna pass on the Heavy Grail since I want the HHKB for portability & Bluetooth connection
  2. Add a Heavy-6 alumnium (can’t justify Veracity steel at all) to grow my Norbauer collection. It will go with the FC660C Silent that I have stashing away in a cupboard
  3. Buy only MT3 doubleshot keycaps. My want list includes MiTo’s Godspeed (1) & Laser (2) if they ever come out (Laser less likely now that there’s MT3 Cyber), Zambumon’s Serika (3) and Matt3o Retro (4). Make them happen pls!
  4. Buy KBDfans Topre Hi-Pro keycaps. Hopefully it will come out this year!
9 Likes

My 2020 Resolutions:

Find the bottom of the ergo rabbit hole
(build a Bastyl)
wait for wireless VIA to become a thing.

8 Likes