2021 Keyboard Resolutions

Cool thread idea!

• solder more/at all. Got a cool gun and accessories kit from my partner for Christmas! So long hotswap.

• try smaller/split keyboards. Curious to see what the absolute lowest possible number of keys would be while retaining practicality. 46 is still too many :joy:

• support more small GBs to keep the community growing and variety up.

• build a 40% with Alps!

7 Likes

I’m in the process of building alu KBD8x MKII (grey one).
Alpacas on a PC plate, will use case foam as well as plate foam and do a gummyworm mount.
Hope it will be nice enough to use until Rama U80 Seq2 comes…

3 Likes

Declutter

6 Likes
  1. Get a desoldering gun
  2. Perfect stab tuning
  3. Try pom, fr4, cf plate
  4. Sell off some keebs and caps
  5. Find and acquire TKL with left-side macro column (instead of topmost row)
5 Likes

Ahem*

Coming out in 2021 and personally, I can’t wait.

6 Likes

Wow, yes, this!!!
But… cries in ISO

1 Like

Huh, that is odd and a shame. Good thing I prefer ANSI.

I wonder if the function keys would look off since they are all R1 height, and there being minimal space between the main cluster. I love the design though.

Nah. Plenty of keyboards utilize the AT F row. Looks great.

1. Stop using mechmarket - it’s really bad now. Also, r/mk is not so good in my opinion anymore either. I guess I really just need to spend all my online keyboard-related time here. :slightly_smiling_face:

2. Get used to linears - I started working on this one already and it’s going ok so far.

3. Buy a GMK set - in a group buy I mean. They’re ridiculous when you try to buy stuff aftermarket.

4. Buy more Fugus. Always need more Fugus.

17 Likes

My 2021 mechkey resolutions:

1. Add a HHKB Pro 3 Hybrid Type-S to my Topre collection, though gonna pass on the Heavy Grail since I want the HHKB for portability & Bluetooth connection
  2. Add a Heavy-6 alumnium (can’t justify Veracity steel at all) to grow my Norbauer collection. It will go with the FC660C Silent that I have stashing away in a cupboard
  3. Buy only MT3 doubleshot keycaps. My want list includes MiTo’s Godspeed (1) & Laser (2) if they ever come out (Laser less likely now that there’s MT3 Cyber), Zambumon’s Serika (3) and Matt3o Retro (4). Make them happen pls!
  4. Buy KBDfans Topre Hi-Pro keycaps. Hopefully it will come out this year!
9 Likes

My 2020 Resolutions:

Find the bottom of the ergo rabbit hole
(build a Bastyl)
wait for wireless VIA to become a thing.

8 Likes
  1. Spend less and join fewer group buys and appreciate what I have now a little more (especially on keycaps, I do not need another set with hiragana legends lol)

2. Get better at lubing MX switches

3. Try out an Alice layout board

7 Likes
  1. Try to suppress my desire for new boards.

2. Try to let go some of my boards that rarely used.

12 Likes

5 Likes

I guess my resolutions would be to learn how to use an ortholinear as I have a olkb preonic on the way. Additionally to get into my first big boy GB for a keyboard kit. Up until now I’ve just been purchasing in stock boards like my Alt and NK 65 Entry.

5 Likes

Nice resolutions, hard to keep but you’re on the way to keebfree !

1 Like

Great idea for a post. My resolutions are.

• Sell stuff I don’t use
  • Keep reminding myself. Don’t buy more switches. I don’t need more switches.
  • Try a polycarb case
  • Get into the sar gb. It is my endgame and I will regret skipping it.
  • Learn how to take better photos
  • Avoid FOMO
11 Likes

That’s the actual endgame in keyboard hobby that everyone knows it’s a myth.

3 Likes

my resolutions:

1. become more consistent in how i lube switches
  2. try out more gmk keycaps
  3. try out configs other than 60% … cant decide whether or not i will go down or up
  4. sell at least one of my older boards
  5. figure out display/storage for switches and boards
8 Likes