2021 Keyboard Resolutions

Legitimately same on all these points, but I’ll definitely be too weak to cut switch buying entirely; I gotta work on not preemptively buying enough for a board and instead getting enough for science if I’m not confident in a switch.

3 Likes

Down, down, down, down

Buy less keyboards. jk who am i kidding

4 Likes

@xli92149 @M_er_sun Unless someone makes a <= 60% that you can pop out of a >= TKL…then you can go up and down in one go :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sold! Where do I sign?

1 Like

My 2021 Keeb-related Resolutions:

1. Finally build a 40% and TKL

2. “Build” A gk64 to try to get a friend into the hobby

3. Try to pay attention to what I actually have and what I need more of. (Had to build a maja with HK Gaming pudding keycaps due to a personal severe keycap shortage)

5 Likes

Alright y’all, were past halfway through the year. How are those resolutions coming?

I still haven’t been back to the makerspace this year but at least I’ve gotten slightly more consistent with switch lube. Not really living up to my plans though :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Well, I managed the first one - and utterly, totally, completely failed on the other two. But there’s still time!

6 Likes

This one I’ve kept and continue to work on; you can see that stuff here.

Still working on this one - proabably won’t finish it until after I move, fingers crossed I still finish it before year’s end.

I joined a group buy (okay, two), and one of them has arrived. I’ll be logging the build in my new place!

The big one for me was starting my site, switchbox.studio, and making content for it. Getting started was the hardest part, so I’m glad I finally did it!

6 Likes
  1. Hmm, yeah I’ve built maybe like 2 keyboards in 7 monhts lol
  2. More videos… Not really considering I took a 3 month hiatus lol
  3. Build Logs… Nope
  4. Update inventory mgmt… Actually yes!
  5. I have not done more streams as I think I’d rather not stream than do a boring stream (although in terms of metrics, this is a horrible decision)
  6. Eh I take this one back. I actually think it’s better to backpedal from doing a larger amount of collabs and should make sure I have my content going well first
  7. Yeah this hasn’t happened yet thanks to my wonderful hiatus… womp womp womp

Yeah I should really stop making new years resolutions; I’m shit at them lol

8 Likes

I’ve covered all but the alps 40%… my Chiffre is compatible and I really don’t love the Ink v2s I’ve got in there now. Trouble is sourcing switches that aren’t crazy expensive.

Checking eBay, 35 skcm blue alps would be >$100. Ouch. Whites aren’t much better, but I’m fairly certain I would like to go clicky. Hmpf.

5 Likes
  • Achieved! But this will always stay as a work in progress. There’re always things to improve on.
  • I’ve built one complete nonsense keyboard. Definitely more experiments and crap on the way. I can smell some frankenswitches ‘round here…
  • Vintage keyboards are fun. I have most that I’ve wanted, but I’ve still got a decent way to go.
6 Likes

I have so far \o/ — but I’ve also only built 2 boards. But fear not, incoming builds are gaining pace in the second half of the year.

Hmm, IDK? This one is hard to gauge. I should have included some type of metric, I guess. But, hopefully I’ve been making progress on this one. I do like seeing vintage boards much more now (though I have no interest in owning one).

I have 3 unbuilt boards. That counts as patience, right? Right?!

4 Likes

Be utilizing 40% for my three required boards: home office, work office, and travel board. Got the work office and travel boards…just waiting for parts and cerakote to finish the home office board. Also, experiment with more switches.

5 Likes

I actually only have the making my own case left on my list.
I got a Preonic.
I sold it and alot of other keebstuff.
Bought a Switch, but it kinda failed to steal focus. Guess I’ll have to start playing Zelda for that to work. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Breath of the Wild is by far my favorite game on the Switch. You should definitely give it a try!

2 Likes

Get a VIA compatible usb type-c PCB and a steel or carbon plate made for my g80-1800.
Make my own case for a keyboard.
Turn my own unique keyboard layout into an actual keyboard and see if it works well enough.
Get more switches.
Get my hands on a set of taiwan jet axis, teton creams, proworld/keyworld or fosen aquamarine.
Buy at least one set of GMK and epbt keycaps so im not only running clones, no matter how superior those clones are. gotta support them designers too.
Get more 65% keyboards. Still trying to get my hands on a decently priced keydous NJ68 in white transparent…

2 Likes
  • Sold a bunch of entry level things on eBay last few weeks. Getting there…
  • Purchased switches but also sold switches, mostly even though I did buy a few single switches to try them out
  • Yes to trying polycarb case. It was nice but I don’t know if I would go for it (unless Norbauer makes the Heavy-9 in it, that would be an instant buy)
  • No Sar GB yet. I still like it but am not as wrapped up with it as I once was. Anticipate the $700+ is going to be hard to swallow.
  • For photos learned some tricks with lighting now and also dragging everything out into natural light or outside helps. Still a work in progress and I don’t always take the time I should to do proper photos.
  • FOMO: So far so good
4 Likes
  1. become more consistent in how i lube switches

Feel pretty good about my lubing consistency at this point … though I hate the process.

1. try out more gmk keycaps

I tried out a few from Drop and mechmarket … and have decided that I just prefer PBT despite the awesome colors and patterns that you can get with GMK. Sadly, though I have about 8 GMK sets coming in at some point, but planning to sell each as soon as I get them.

1. try out configs other than 60% … cant decide whether or not i will go down or up

I went up to 65% (nk 65 case) and also down to a 40% (mercutio, which for me at least was a soldering adventure) … I by far prefer the 40% but favorite profile is 60% ansi (caps lock = control, right shift = fn, 7u spacebar) or hhkb, depending on the day.

1. sell at least one of my older boards

sold a mojo60 (pictured) and then a few mt3 and gmk keycaps a couple of weeks ago.

1. figure out display/storage for switches and boards

keyboards are just on stands and switches are in little containers. there are a few spots open since i got rid of the everglide dark jades and nk box creams.

8 Likes

Really cool setup and collection! Those little windowed bins are awesome.

What do you think of the MG caps? I’ve been curious about those.