60% HHKB-like layout, but with dedicated arrows

The only wrong way to type on a keyboard is with Cheetos dust on your fingers!

2 Likes

Isn’t this pretty much the YAS 62? I remember that running a while back and it was strikingly similar to what you all are bringing up

1 Like

Indeed that is a good example of this layout. Only thing I can see it doesn’t really support is a split right shift with spot for a fn key, but now we’re getting down to the level of religious extremism between ever so slightly different factions.

Any of you fine folks here used a YAS62?

2 Likes

For me, the most important thing is to be able to have the right shift next to the question mark (or what ever yet is occupying that space) So I would take XTaran’s layout but switch the positions of the shift and Q mark key. Some may hate this for typing though. One work around could be to reprogram shift+up arrow to “?” in which case you haven’t actually lost anything. Hmm, I may have solved it.

Fascinating. Wasn’t aware that there are people who only use the right Shift key. But then again, I should have guessed. :slight_smile:

What do you put on the left Shift key then instead? (Expecting that such keys don’t stay unused.) As Fn?

1 Like

Never heard of that before, but indeed, the YAS 62 looks very similar to @TheMule’s design.

More pictures of the YAS 62:

https://imgur.com/a/l4BL3

1 Like

We had a poll about it a while ago, it’s less common but not that uncommon. Yeah, I was using for and FN key.

1 Like

added variant 4.5 because I can’t resist fiddling with my layout like George Lucas can’t resist fiddling with his movies :sweat_smile::joy::sob:

This one about typing B with which index finger? Couldn’t find one for using which Shift key.

1 Like

I am also looking for a similar design to YAS 62. I would replace the Del key with Backspace. I find the latter more useful.

I hear there’s a second run coming, so we can wait and hope!

1 Like

Tempting, Do you know where the GB might happen?

I agree, it is very tempting. I don’t. @yasintahir might have some details or insight.

1 Like

Regarding YAS-62 and its successors, Yasin informed me today that there is a discord. Join if you want scuttlebutt about the new YAS-62 :smile:

I know I’m kinda late to the discussion but here is my take. Got 1.5U empty spaces on both bottom corners. Also, the up and down keys are aligned which is how I think it is supposed to be lol. (Can’t wait for my new PCB to arrive so I can try this out!)

2 Likes

this looks really interesting and functional, although I still think HHKBs arrow solution works the best for me

2 Likes

@kimslawson Sorry to disturb you, but your idea reminds me of Ellipse’s Model F62 reproduction with the scumnc/scumyc layout that can be ordered for it that gives you those bottom row arrow keys. The standard “HHKB”-like layout I ordered and received has the split backspace and split right shift so if you pay a king’s ransom to combine those two together… I meant to reply a long time ago but forgot until I made an account today. I’m replying in this thread because there probably haven’t been too many developments in this space. Cheers!

I couldn’t help but remember this thread again when I checked the Matias 60% group buy that’s been going on for years with no end in sight. Why? Because it has the half-height arrow keys.

2 Likes

That GB is unfortunately truly cursed

3 Likes