A rushed forum, my opinion and efforts prior to the launch of keebtalk

Too bad kbtalk.com was taken, in 2011.

Also too bad that the main issue is with the way the site was sold and how it’s structured with no fail safes to protect it from being sold in the same manner again. People are focusing way too much on who bought it, that’s not the real issue…

2 Likes

Regardless of the drama I hope this forum works out just because of the tech stack. I think @spacewolfplays manufactured a lot of doubt without knowing anything about the platform. With all that said, I don’t think GH is going anywhere for a long time and I believe that both the founders of this site as well as Massdrop have better intentions than a lot of people are giving them credit for.

4 Likes

How does the structure not prevent that from happening? It totally does.

If you truly don’t get the difference then you have either not actually read the thread you are participating in or 100% against believing what anyone else has to say. For the first part please read Ryan’s responses and if ya the 2nd part no one is forcing you to use the platform.

Wait, if I don’t get the difference? Maybe I misunderstood the part I responded to. I believe the structure of KeebTalk is resilient against what happened over at GH.

Yep, I defiantly misunderstood your reply. My bad!

1 Like

The misunderstanding was mine, I thought you were saying that it wasn’t protected against it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For the record, I have no issues whatsoever with MD owning GH. I’ve pretty much only had positive interactions with both MD as a vendor, as well as the people I have interacted with there, and they have always been supportive of my project, Top Clack. MD was probably one of the best routes that GH could have gone, given the circumstances, and I truly believe they can do good things with it and keep it community-focused.

Also, I have no issues at all with the GH community, nor the DT community. There are tons of lovely people in both place, as well as r/mk. My issue is, I just don’t care for that actual design and layout of these more traditional forums, having spent a lot of time on similar ones. For me, they’re just clunky and hard not very intuitive. I get that it’s a tried and true method that’s been around for decades, but that doesn’t mean it’s the end-all be-all, for me. After spending a couple days here on keebtalk (yes, I know, the name sucks. I don’t like it either.), the layout and functionality has been a lot easier to use, for me. Might not be true for everyone, but it is for me. It is also only a few days old, so improvements will be constantly rolled out to get it up to speed and make everything smoother and better for everyone. Though I wasn’t around for GH when it launched, I would assume that it wasn’t perfect at first, either, but that’s just me guessing, as I have no proof.

Anyways, as far as the MD vs. I:C stuff, It’s kind of coincidental. Like Norbauer pointed out in this post here, all 3 board members were already conceptualizing and building keebtalk well before MD had purchased GH. They started right after GH was put up for auction.

I don’t think GH is really gonna go downhill at all. If anything, it’ll probably only get better. But, this is just a different alternative that for me, right now, works better than GH. I think if people don’t want to support it or use it, they shouldn’t. It’s just a different outlet, just like how r/mk and GH co-exist. I’ve actually been working on a pros and cons list about this site as I go, because it’s definitely not perfect, nor was the launch, but I think the potential is there, just like the potential is there for GH, and anywhere else there are cool people doing cool things. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I disagree heavily. He voiced what many of us felt. At least, what I felt.

And you can say that the same things about the sale of GH to MD, as well. A lot of manufactured doubt, because it was MassDrop.

But I think I’ve expressed myself enough.

Either way, a lot of the feedback here has me feeling better.

2 Likes

100% this (except the complaints about the name, which I think is at the very least an improvement over “geekhack”, though the “keytalk” suggestion somewhere above would be just as good imo)

1 Like

As someone who found GH archaic and a pain to use, I appreciate the format choice for KT. I’m hoping this site prospers and takes over for what GH is/was for the community.

3 Likes

Why does it have to take over? Can we all just get along? As long as that happens, I’ll be fine. More coverage of everything seems like it would be better for the community. It doesn’t have to be a competition.

3 Likes

That would be my preference, let the better platform win. It’s better for everyone that way. Less locations to worry about, less chance of some part of the community not knowing about things because the maker/gb runner/whoever only advertised it on 4 of the 5 popular hubs.

Nothing wrong with people chatting wherever they feel more comfortable of course, I don’t want the other forums to go away completely, but I would really love to see one emerge as a central hub so everyone in the community may hang out in other places but they know, that’s where the announcements are.

2 Likes

That’s the problem. People thinking that the community only consists of one location or another. People having platform dependency. If you’re running a GB, hit all of the platforms, especially when there are as many running as there are now. Less of a chance of you not hitting MOQ, which happens a lot now. And you can find a platform that runs at a comfortable speed that you like to interact on rather than being forced into a pre-set box.

3 Likes

No one’s forcing anyone into a box. At all.

This seems to imply that. Why does there need to be a central hub that is a forum? I don’t think there does need to be one.

I agree. KT is a great alternative to GH imo, but it doesn’t have to replace GH. I prefer KT layout and direction, but I don’t see GH going anywhere soon. I plan to use both forum.

Well, I disagree, and still think you’re missing the point. But it doesn’t really matter as it isn’t something any individual controls, whatever will happen will happen.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes