A Thread on Topre Modding

I was thinking the same thing!

Yeah realforce trgb tkl is less snappier than my 660c. Was thinking of swapping the stock domes with heavier bke domes to fix that.

Thanks so much! thatā€™s great and amazing work! Iā€™ll try to give it a shot someday (soon!).

1 Like

Iā€™m looking to revive my slumbering HHKB with some new parts, since the BKE domes Iā€™ve been waiting on appear to simply not exist anymore, and I seem to be shit outta luck when it comes to shaking down Jchan for them. Whatā€™s the ā€œcurrent metaā€, so to speak, regarding making a silent HHKB? I have some type-S sliders that I was thinking of putting Deskeys #5s on with some Deskeys Purples underneath, but whatā€™s the difference between the silicone and regular rings?

1 Like

I have type-s sliders in mine. They come with their own rings and I think they work pretty well. The rings are around 0.4mm IIRC. As for the deskeys purples. theyā€™re probably my third favorite domes closely after 55g and 45g Topres.

The person I bought this from off MechMarket did not include all of the Type-S rings, and didā€¦ something to the domes to make them warp horribly, so I want to replace both.

1 Like

Oh the beauties of buying modded keyboards of mechmarket. Honestly, most of them are modded like shit.

2 Likes

This thread pretty much covers everything but I have a step by step guide you might find useful. https://www.unrealkeyboards.com/Guides/topre-modifications/

2 Likes

I wonder if that was from dielectric grease. Buddy reported this happening to OG domes with it. Is the PCB lubed?

1 Like

I canā€™t remember, but Iā€™m fairly certain it was. The domes lost all their tactility - 55g ones too :sob:

1 Like

https://kbdfans.com/collections/interest-checks/products/hipro

12 Likes

This is kind of big isnā€™t it? Most people have to harvest these from a Topre board.

take my opinion with a grain of salt because ive never actually used topre hi-pro but from what I have seen this looks more like an mt3 copy to me

2 Likes

Interesting thought. The pictures of the blanks they showed last year certainly looked like they had made molds from actual hi-pro caps a la blizzardmods or idea23 but the renders they added today with homing bars make me think that maybe they did go their own way a bit.

I do see they have the scooped F and J as well but it would be nice if they went scooped SDF, JKL like the hipro sets do (which MT3 usually offers as well).

Anyways, hoping for the best, Iā€™m sure weā€™ll have to compromise in some ways but having accessible hi-profile topre caps is pretty awesome.

Oh man Iā€™ve been waiting for this for a while!

Iā€™m not too big on the font

1 Like

:crossed_fingers: Fingers crossed these are higher quality than their mx sliders :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

RGB TKL modding round #2: I added BuddyOGā€™s gasket and it works like a charm. I also ended up replacing the Pink Deskey domes with the stock domes (I like the Pinks, but I like the less sharp tactile event of the stock domes more :)).

Question: My keypresses feel smooth, pressed quickly or slowly. But I can hear some raspiness when I type. Not like a Batman raspy, but like a Tara Reid raspy. Is this normal?

2 Likes

Do you have deskeys silencing rings on the RGB? It could be that they are misaligned and causing the issue.

1 Like

Oh interesting. Yup, I have the Deskeys rings. Ok Iā€™ll check those specifically when I open it up again. Thanks @anon81470386 :pray:t3: