Alps & Alps clone switch talk

This does sound like a nice combo, gonna have to give it try!

If you do try this I suggest to NOT to use any lube. The best result I’ve had is to use an ultrasonic cleaner on the switch bits (including the leaves, but not the switch plates) and wait a day for it to dry.

Good look, I’m not 100% sold on lubing ALPS TBH, ultrasonic cleaning has the best results IME also (not that I’m super experienced ALPS though). I know some like the oranges have been found with dry lube from the factory, but I don’t know how much it’ll actually help. It seems like to me with ALPS condition & wear are everything. The oranges I got for my ALPS 64 were thankfully barely used if at all & the damped creams/damped whites I got are also very clean & lightly worn. All 3 of them feel excellent & non of them are lubed. Then I have a AT101 with blacks in it that were pretty dirty & obviously heavily used. Even after ultrasonicing the parts they still feel fairly scratchy.

I plan on grabbing some of that Finishline dry bike chain lube everybody recommends, but I’m gonna try it on the blacks before I put it anywhere near my good feeling batches, LOL!

Just got into ALPS not too long ago and really enjoy the varieties :slight_smile:

Clicky ALPS are fantastic, as well as tactile, though I’m leaning towards being a clicky fan. Just curious, has anyone done any leaf modding on their SKCM? The reason I ask is that I did so on my White Pines and they sound / feel fantastic, yet on Cream Undampened, I’m having a hard time keeping consistent feel across the lot… J/w if anyone has any pointers or anything :stuck_out_tongue:

Will posts the two builds once a) holtites come in for one (45%), or b) plate comes in for the other (65%). Caps are a near-tight-fit for the layouts I’m looking at running…

Going to just revive this thread because I’m curious to hear what people use when lubing their alps switches :eyes:

I recently obtained a SGI Granite Bigfoot with cream dampened alps I was considering restoring.

Lubing ALPS is a venture I haven’t tried yet, but from the research I’ve done it seems like this Finish line dry lube is the most recommended. The common opinion is a wet lube like Krytox or Tribosys would do more harm than good for ALPS switches due to them being so sensitive to dust & particularities. Be sure to post your results whatever you decide on, I’m pretty curious about this subject also! :metal:

I’ve also seen that recommended quite a bit. I definitely want to stay away from wet lubes due to dust and particulates (those are what I have to clean out to begin with!).

I have some of this stuff which I’ve used on normal mx switches in the past and seem decent. I think it will work fine for alps.

Just don’t breath it in. Didn’t they decide that anything with ptfe is cancerous?

I think the product that you linked is very similar to what I suggested. I don’t see a problem other than like @pixelpusher said to apply it in a well ventilated area & try to avoid breathing it in. Also the fact that it is a dry powder may be even better than Finishline because that goes on wet. Looking forward to your results after you get around to it!

Well, seems that I’ll get cancer. Managed to breathe in the powder accidentally a couple of times. Oops?

LOL, as long as you didn’t breathe a ton of it in I think you’ll be fine!

Well, I basically looked like this after blowing into the container…

I know that this is an older thread, but I wanted to chime in and say that I’ve used Finish line dry lube also. It’s not actually dry, but will dry after application. I’ve always assembled and let it dry on its own for a day or three before soldering/using.

I usually use a paintbrush and pop the top of the bottle so I can dunk and apply with a small paint brush (talking watercolor, not chip brush). I wouldn’t stick my face right over the bottle, but with the paintbrush method, you don’t get much of the fumes and it applies fairly evenly.

Also, the small bottle someone else linked is more than enough for a lot of switches. I’ve done 120 on 1/3rd of a bottle and still probably had more than half of that left.

i heard there’s some pretty cool Alps patches for sale in the Marketplace :eyes: