Alps switch opener?

Hi,

So I really want to try Alps, managed to get a decently priced apple keyboard, however the switches definitely need some cleaning.
Is someone selling a switch opener that works for Alps?
Is there any other way to get one or make a DIY version or something?

Thanks!

TheKeyCompany has 3D printed ALP switches openers right now. The site is a bit confusing though cause they are also selling the ALPS Nexus sliders & housings on it as well. Select the opening tool & select 1 for both quantity boxes for it to be able to be added to your cart.

oh wow, thanks!
Those nexus sliders and housings look really interesting :slight_smile:
Have you tried them?

No problem! Yes, I got 50 of the sliders from the OG GB so I could use some MX artisans with my ALPS boards. The sliders themselves work pretty good & are very smooth, but the cruciform mount is a bit too big & can crack key cap stems unless they are shaved down a bit. Also the Nexus top housings are kinda necessary if plan on using the sliders with more than a few switches. MX mount caps will catch on the stem opening of the stock ALPS top housing & Cherry profile caps catch on the outside edges of stock ALPS top housings. So I’d say they are worth it if you plan on just using them with a few keys, but it would better to wait for Rd.2 with the kinks worked out if you want to run them on a whole board.

I bought mine from a guy near me that did a small group buy for some acryllic ones. He says he can probably do a small run if you want. Benefit of his is you can open the alps on the board as well as in hand. I have a couple and they’re great and really tight in a good way.

His site is: http://ehum.xyz/product.html Contact info is there.

Pics of the final product here: https://imgur.com/a/KQqhScM

He might be willing to remake some of the other stuff he has on his site too. I’d say get in touch with him. His prices are good too.

I used two razor blades last time I did it. Followed the instructions in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mhmb2kBuwQ

Thanks guys, I just realized the shipping to the UK is crazy though ($15 with the key company).
Which means they are going to kill me in customs as well…
So hard to be a keyboard addict in here :sweat:
I’m going to have to find the way to have something printed/cut here in the UK

Damn, sorry man didn’t realize you were across the pond. If it’s not realistic to have one of the TKC’s tools shipped to you there is always the old toothpick/cocktail stick way of opening them up. Chyrosran22’s video here does a pretty good job of explaining it. I’d also watch his teardown video on ALPS switches. Between the two of them you should fully understand how ALPS switches work & go together.

I have a 3D printed one sitting here, I could send it to you if you want.

It’s this one:

Oh wow, thanks so much!
Are you in Europe?
pming you, if you are not in Europe maybe you can tell me how you get one printed