Arisu & Alice Layout Catchall

This might be the one for you?

That’s too many keys and a hefty bill…
Still waiting for a 68-key MagicForce 68 style Arisu…

1 Like

Good deals on the MGA v3 coming on Wednesday on the sneakbox website: https://sneakbox.com/

[MGA: Price Alert]
----------------------

** MGA v3 Polycarbonate will be sold as a kit on Wednesday** $475.

** MGA v3 ALUMINUM will be for sale IN-STOCK Wednesday**. 100-ish units. Silver, Dark Gray (Green gray), Rose gold full shell (VERY LIMITED QTY OF ROSE GOLD). Full aluminum kit will be $350 (with some extras thrown in, brass plate costs extra), and Full V3 shell (hardware and gasket only) without internals will be $250. Surcharge options for swap top or bottom shell with polycarb will be available.

Kits will include Shell, M5 PCB + daughterboard, Case hardware and gaskets, 0.6mm thick Stabilizer shims, Ice Peak stand, zip case, foam including new 1mm PE PCB foam layer

MGA v3 is fully compatible with standard Alice plates and Alice PCBs with USB-C sockets under the PCB. Also supports M5 PCB with Sneakbox daughterboard, which is most ideal for flex-mounting.

3 Likes

This thread is a godsend, I’m always looking for arisu boards but they’re hard to find beyond switch coture and ymdk.

I need an upgrade from my q8

2 Likes

My current favorite in my collection, the AVA by sneakbox (I just got a second one, PC this time) is pretty good. It’s a pretty firm typing experience though, despite the gasket mounting. However, there is a poron gasket I haven’t tried yet.

1 Like

IMG_8292
IMG_8293

So about that PC AVA. I got it used off mm complete with two plates (POM and brass), two hotswap PCBs, and the PC wrist rest. I wasn’t sure why there were two PCBs included until I was installing stabilizers with the first and realized that someone had installed holtites or another socket for hotswap split backspace, so the stabilizer wouldn’t fit for backspace.

This is my first build for me where I went through the process of lubing the durock v2 stabs with 205 and dielectric grease for the wire. (I built a Sat 75 for the Mrs. with lubed stabs a few days before this)

Switches are these presumed TTC Gold Brown Pros (thanks again, Llama and Deadeye!!!) and they sound pretty good to me overall, none of the springy noise that Deadeye recorded. The sound is closer to the modern trend of fancy linears. I’ll have to try and record it some time.

In terms of the layout. I’m trying to get used to having the left thumb cluster arranged without a key to the right of the left spacebar and it’s going better than I thought, so I probably could get used to an Owlab Spring or another Alice-like with this type of layout. Of course, if it really annoys me I can order a Solder PCB from Sneakbox. Only the hotswap PCB is limited in this way.

One of my favorite things about Sneakbox Alice-likes keyboards is that they have a fairly consistent “nose” that lets the AVA PC wrist rest and the wood one I already had work with these AVAs and the MGA.

This is my first polycarbonate board and I do not really appreciate the texture, though I like the look and the underglow is nice. The coat on the wooden wrist rest feels smoother and nicer to rest my hands on.

Biggest downside to these AVAs is that the typing feel isn’t as springy as I’d like, despite having a gasket style of mount, nothing I’ve ever typed on has come close to the mounting system of the PLA75 which is incredibly fun. If I order a Solder PCB, Sneakbox also has a PC plate and a poron gasket pack, they might have a nice feel together.

Overall, I love this keyboard. Between my now two AVAs and one MGA, I have a great collection of boards to experiment with when one AVA and the MGA are hotswap.

It’s great that Sneakbox still has parts and whole kits for these boards available for sale, now I just hope they’ll make an F-row Alice-like…

4 Likes

Velocifire has posted about their new Arisu here: [Pre-orders] Keylice 65%--Dual mode Alice layout keyboard with arrow key, Excellent surface process, Multi-mount, Support both lotlab and VIA

Bluetooth options are pretty rare in this layout and it has a good layout. However it doesn’t look like there is a wrist rest option and my guess is that VIA is only available for the solder PCB which would potentially also not have Bluetooth but I’ll ask both questions in that thread and hopefully they’ll let us know.

Update: Velocifire says that purchases in July include a walnut wrist rest and both versions of the PCB support Bluetooth and VIA. Pretty good deal then.

1 Like

Alyssia is a thin-bezel alice style keyboard that I’ve been following on discord for a while. The creator is hoping for a GB to start in a month or two

2 Likes

Exclusive is working on an “Elice” with a huge gap in the middle: Exclusive on Instagram: "Elice 🔜 coming soon Our first Alice like keyboard with spring mount #mechanic#mechanicalkeyboard #keyboard #desksetup #setup #rgb#led #pc #pcgaming #light#keycaps#gamingsetups #alice#ergo"

2 Likes

Another keyboard from TOHSI INDUSTRIAL is in IC phase in China. This should be available on Taobao in the future? I’m just going off machine translations. CNC PC top with some decorative aluminum plates. Bottom looks to be just aluminum. Has a little OLED screen in the bottom left. It also looks like it’s a collab with Outva, who does have an English storefront.

Link to the IC post.

More pics:
With GSA Retro Highlight
With Outva Shuten Doji
With GMK Terror Below

3 Likes

I think this looks really nice, but I don’t know if I can go smaller than a 60%.

4 Likes

I’m in a similar boat, but this is a really interesting layout and appears to be well-executed.

1 Like

That is the law of diminishing returns / marginal utility!

1 Like

Definitely try the poron gaskets on the AVA if you haven’t. The typing feel is miles better with them.

1 Like

The Type-K is a ridiculously priced non-adjustable tented Alice with just three basic color options (black, silver, beige) and a very curious warning about fulfillment taking place through another company. Lots to be concerned about before throwing $750+ at this, which is something I don’t think I’d ever do.

At least the usb cutout is centered :joy:

2 Likes

I wanted this board so bad. I waited years for it but that price is just way too much for me. Really bummed out.

2 Likes

That’s how I felt as well - followed it from the first post over on GeekHack until it came out, but I was not going to be able to justify spending that much on it.

2 Likes

Obviously it’s not a 1:1 option, but the KBDFans Mountain Ergo sold a few years back goes for about $300 now on r/mechmarket. Somewhat similar shape that saves you $450…

2 Likes

Matrix Lab has their Arisu, the “Faukwaa” in the works. I’m happy for a different look in this genre of board:

3 Likes

I’m surprised Meridian is only mentioned once in this whole thread.

4 Likes