Best caps for a clear acrylic case?

If someone were, to say, hand-wire a keyboard and order a clear, acrylic case, what would the best caps be? I feel like perfectly clear cases don’t look good with all caps… suggestions?

1 Like

Subjective, of course - but here are a few of my thoughts:

There are a few translucent / clear sets out there (like this one) you could use for an all see-thru style build.

This also might be a case where vanilla pudding caps have a relevant aesthetic purpose; transitioning from the clear acrylic, translucent pom (or whatever the skirt and stem are made of), to the opaque pbt tops.

Alternatively, I think a white-on-black JTK HSA set might pair well with clear acrylic… I’m thinking of those clear phones from the 80’s and 90’s.

If it’s a hard-edged case, Tai-Hao Cubic could compliment the lines.

Clear electronics are also often used in prisons, it’s easy to see that nothing is being smuggled inside.

2 Likes

The moral of the story is don’t use clear acrylic cases, ya fuckin’ snitch. /s

But, neutral colors would probably work well - sets with a more neutral base tone look great with clear acrylic. Just go with whatever feels right! I suggest KPrepublic’s PBT Muted, but just go wherever you heart takes you and your wallet can stomach.

You could try some translucent ones, I seen a ton however, most of them come as blanks.
I think any neutral colors or lighter colors work well… But, then again… strong and vibrant colors would certainly stand out in a clear case!

I completely forgot about these: there are actual acrylic key caps available on flashquark, both in chicklet style and OEM profile. Maybe more on the novelty side of things, but a fun curiosity at least.